V-Twin Forum banner

Cowboy boots for riding?

21K views 134 replies 62 participants last post by  bigj59 
#1 ·
Anyone wear cowboy boots? I'm having a heck of a time finding boots that has a toe construction that will hold up under using the shifter. I've had two different brands... The Harley black ones had a paper-thin leather covering that began peeling after a year (you could see the support lining underneath). The Double-H's that I have now, are collapsing in the toe after a month of sliding under the shifter. This is the second pair of those, as I took the first ones back that did the same thing, hoping it was a leather flaw. The replaced pair are doing the same thing. The only boots that have held up for me, are my winter Red Wing steel toed, that are insulated. I've worn them for 2 years, with no problems in the toe. They're too hot for summer, and look "clunky". Red Wing doesn't make cowboy style. I love cowboy boots, but not finding anything that will hold up. I know it's not that I need to change the shifter peg, as I've already changed from stock to a smooth chrome one. Any help is greatly appreciated!

#3 ·
marthared said:
Anyone wear cowboy boots? I'm having a heck of a time finding boots that has a toe construction that will hold up under using the shifter. I've had two different brands... The Harley black ones had a paper-thin leather covering that began peeling after a year (you could see the support lining underneath). The Double-H's that I have now, are collapsing in the toe after a month of sliding under the shifter. This is the second pair of those, as I took the first ones back that did the same thing, hoping it was a leather flaw. The replaced pair are doing the same thing. The only boots that have held up for me, are my winter Red Wing steel toed, that are insulated. I've worn them for 2 years, with no problems in the toe. They're too hot for summer, and look "clunky". Red Wing doesn't make cowboy style. I love cowboy boots, but not finding anything that will hold up. I know it's not that I need to change the shifter peg, as I've already changed from stock to a smooth chrome one. Any help is greatly appreciated!

I am not sure if they can be considered a cowboy boot for what you are looking for but I have a black pair of boots that are made by Justin. I love them. They conformed to my feet, are comfortable and have lasted well. No wear at all from shifting. I got them at a local boot shop in Daytona Beach but I am sure you can use the dealer locator on their website. Price was reasonable too. Also check out the pictures. Maybe there is something you like or that will work for you. Just my -2$en#e-

www.justinboots.com

#4 ·
I wear Justin ropers..lower heel. I had some boots in college, had a shoe repairmen sew reinforcement leather over the toe . Would work good if Icould find someone to do it again.It was a larger "wingtip"to rebuild the toe end where it had worn out.

#5 ·
:brows: I find that floorboards with a heel/toe shifter works nicely. All shifting done solefully.

Lefty

#8 ·
8-Ball said:
Forgive me for asking, but you don't by chance have the cheese grater trim on your shifter peg do you?

I have used a pair of HD boots for over a year without the slightest wear.

Ditto.

I've had a pair of HD Amarillo's for 2 years now and they have held up great. Probably not a bad idea to smear some bear grease on them every once in a while....

#17 ·
Tony Lama TLX Stockmans & Justin George Straight ropers for road trips...I ride my scoot every day to work, in a suit, and dress cowboy boots.

#19 ·
marthared said:
Try a pair of Wellington style name brand boot. They have a rounded toe (you can get steel toes) otherwise known as gentleman's riding boots. they come in many different heel sizes and soles

#23 ·
GrayRider said:
I bought them several years ago at J.C. Penney. The inside label says, "Code West," but they were probably made by someone else for Penneys.

Wow, Gray, are you OK?... I'm not seeing your regular sense of humor... Usually you're cracking (quite funny) sarcastic little jokes! I miss them!

#24 ·
DR_DEUCE said:
Heres the ticket.... use an old pair of cowboy boots, but make SURE that you have them resoled in nonslip rubber. And what I did was to use contact cement and put a strip of leather onto the shifter, leather on leather won't mar. DO IT!
Eeeeuweeeeeee!... I like that idea! Hubby "does" leather, and maybe I could get him to make something that wouldn't look too cheesy.

#26 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.