V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my uncle has a 94 sporty 1200 thats been sitting for about 5 years. I recently took the carb off and had it cleaned up and rebuilt. I also drained all the oil, oil filter, and trannie fluid and replaced it. It has a new battery and plugs also. After i did all this It turned over with no prob except the carb has to be adjusted.

Besides changing the hoses, tires, bearings, and wires; should anything else be checked out internally? I drove it around around the yard a bit and seemed to have no problems.

Does anyone have any helpful hints or suggestions before I put it on the road?

Thanks for any help. Everett

·
Registered
36 Posts
twincamzz is absolutely correct about the brake fluid absorbing water. However, if you are using the silicon fluid (#5 dot I think) you do not have to worry about moisture. It is not hygroscopic.

Sounds like once everthing is checked out, you are gonna have some good times down the road! (here's wavin' at you)...:)

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
You probably have but ask your Uncle to tell you as much as he can about the bike prior to his parking it. Make sure you know WHY he parked it.

I'd run the fluids for about 250 miles and change em just for the hell of it.

Good luck !

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.