V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Messing around today and found this tube under the dash. It obviously is supposed to attach to the vent but half the rubber grommet is gone.

I was curious where this line went and was amazed to discover that it plugged into the swing arm.

Is this an air vent? overflow? It appears to be located below the potential full-tank fuel level? I'm tempted to cap it since a rubber plug would be easier to find than whatever used to be there. However, I'm wondering if this is an important feature. Thanks in advance for ANY advice and info!

·
Premium Member
2,208 Posts
I would rejoin the pipe to the vent with a short piece of fuel hose, then make sure the vent tube beneath the tank is open to drain if need be. Last thing you want is to have fuel flowing down onto your wiring. Yes you need it so that the tank has atmosphereic pressure in it and doesnt create a vacuum inside the tank restricting fuel flow.

Dare

·
Registered
5,739 Posts
I would rejoin the pipe to the vent with a short piece of fuel hose, then make sure the vent tube beneath the tank is open to drain if need be. Last thing you want is to have fuel flowing down onto your wiring. Yes you need it so that the tank has atmosphereic pressure in it and doesnt create a vacuum inside the tank restricting fuel flow.

Dare
@gree: it just connects to the swing arm so it is at a low point and not dangling, there is a hole through

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Roll. I don't think a piece of hose would work because the nipple has a diff diameter than the tube. I took the remaining rubber off the tube and slid it onto the nipple for size; it was too big. I'm left with the conclusion that the original piece had different size openings on each end (?).
If it's just an air vent, why is the other end plugged into the frame of the swingarm? Unless that connection is important, I could just run a new (smaller diameter) hose from the tank's nipple down past the bottom of the frame and plug the swingarm connection.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hose to swingarm , is that the oil tank drain ?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hose to swingarm , is that the oil tank drain ?
Hey Dogg,
I was pretty sure that the hose originated at the right-side tank and ended in the swingarm. Admittedly, the lighting wasn't great and the quarters were cramped but I traced it pretty close. You can see the mounting tabs in the second pic where I pulled the inner fender. I wasn't around the bike today but I'll double check tomorrow.
I'd love to find a hose diagram for evo softs somewhere.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts