V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I know that most HD Dealers don't dissamble the flywheel assembly anymore. They just replace the entire Flywheel Assembly, (and you can't buy the gear that slips). That is a $900+ part, that may or may not need to be done. We've found a few cases where a "B" motor has been put on a dyno, or run too "hard", and the counter-balance drive gear has slipped on what used to be called the pinion shaft. This can only be verified by splitting the cases and visually inspecting this and checking the position of the gear,(on the pinion), the chain, (2 links are a blueish color), and the position of the counterbalance weights. We've found that the gear has been known to slip as much as 90*, but what we're trying to do is "fix" the problem instead of replacing the entire flywheel assembly. We tried to "pin" the gear at a point behind the gear with a roll pin, but this evidently weakened the gear, and it broke into 3 pieces when we test rode it. I was just wanting to see if anyone has tried to do this repair and see what their results were? I've thought of welding the gear, but I tend to shy away from this as I'm afraid of making the gear brittle, and getting the same results as the pinning. From the information I've gathered, this problem comes about not durring acceleration, but by the sudden Deceleration,(Like Shutting down on a Dyno), where the tire is trying to drive the motor. Also, the indications that this has happened is the entire motorcycle starts vibrating like a shovelhead...maybe not a bad thing, 'cause I DO like a shovelhead. But none the less it is a hard pill for a Customer to swallow, that he needs a entire flywheel Assembly, where the problem is a gear that has "Slipped" and can't be secured. If anyone has had any experience with a fix on this, your input would be appreciated..Thanks

·
Banned
4,508 Posts
Sprocket

We've welded 'em, as per Hoban Bros.
No problems.

·
Banned
3,694 Posts
Hillsidecycle.com said:
We've welded 'em, as per Hoban Bros.
No problems.

Most of the quality builders weld them as Scott stated he does.... No more problems with slipping.

{salute( :spank: {salute(

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have a 2016 Heritage Softail, and I have no (zero) power below 1350 RPM. Jerks and shakes, like the primary is about to come apart. My local dealer tried to tell me that the "True Duel" non baffled exhaust they installed, then reprogram the ECM was the problem. I've own and ridden Harley's for over fifty years, and never had anything like this. My "dealer" has already tried to screw me a couple of times now in the past, so I don't believe a word they say. Or is this an "issue"with the counter balance motors ?

·
Premium Member
1,455 Posts
I have a 2016 Heritage Softail, and I have no (zero) power below 1350 RPM. Jerks and shakes, like the primary is about to come apart. My local dealer tried to tell me that the "True Duel" non baffled exhaust they installed, then reprogram the ECM was the problem. I've own and ridden Harley's for over fifty years, and never had anything like this. My "dealer" has already tried to screw me a couple of times now in the past, so I don't believe a word they say. Or is this an "issue"with the counter balance motors ?
Why are you riding at such low RPM that is more of your problem than anything with the motor get the RPM's up and it will smooth out .

·
Registered
8,881 Posts
Harley motors are happiest at 2200-2800 rpm, the only time a motor is happy at 1350 is in first gear accelerating off idle to a more reasonable rpm, in the higher gears..
Some of my friends chug around just above idle, even in the higher gears, don't downshift to accelerate, they just keep pouring on the throttle, and all of them are unhappy with the bikes performance... they think they are being easy on the motor, and have no idea of the additional stresses they are placing on the entire drive line by riding at such low rpm..
There is nothing detrimental in running the engines cruise rpm at 30-40% of its design rpm limits.. in the rpm range I spoke of, the motors seem to be running effortlessly with no strain accelerating and cruising..

Try it for a while and see how the bike performs, by you just changing your riding habits..

·
Premium Member
577 Posts
Why is this posted under a 10 year old unrelated thread? You will get better results starting a new one.

Trying to ride below 1350 rpm will result in a twisted crank with these new press fit wheels. If the dealer is not talking to you about riding style, he is trying to screw you.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts