·
Premium Member
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On an 80" evo?

·
Administrator
11,287 Posts
You can do anything with enough time and money, the questions would you want to? I don't believe it would be worth it. The EVO has a different bolt pattern, the cylinders studs are closer together so the cylinders from a TC won't just fit on. There are many other options that would be better suited for the EVO and much more cost effective.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
BadTwin said:
..Could you make a set of TC jugs and pistons fit?
On an 80" evo?
Do they just drop in and bolt up? No.

On-the-other-hand, my brother-in-law had an EVO-Knuckle (bottom-end Evo with jugs and heads from a Knuckle). And no, it wasn't a "looks like" Knuckle heads valve cover" either. The bike had honest to goodness, genuine, Harley-Davidson Knuckle head jugs and heads. All it took was an excellent machinist and MONEY.

So just bring MONEY and someone will make it work.

IMHO it will be much less expensive to just trade bikes or have engine work done to the Evo to bring it to the performance level you desire.

·
Premium Member
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was just wondering cuz I have an extra set of nice stock tc jugs and pistons that I bought for a 95" build that has been put on the back burner.

·
Premium Member
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Would that fit? I could take my 02 RKC engine and tranny out and install it into my 91 fxrs. :hystria:

·
Registered
487 Posts
yep but you may have to modify the bottom frame cross member under the trans

·
Premium FNG :)
81 Posts
At that point, the easiest thing to do is just cut the necks and VINs off and swap them....

·
Registered
152 Posts
They call a TC top end on an EVO bottom a Fatvo.
There are a few companys that make them.

·
Premium Member
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, because my Roadking will need an engine in order to sell it... Ha

I'm at a cross roads with my bikes. I cant justify keeping both.. My 02 King is like new, and is beautiful and all that, but I really dont use it for what it's built for.
My FXRS is nice, but old.. Has 58k miles, but runs strong, just looks old and leaks a bit of oil... I'm seriously considering selling the RoadKing and Keeping the FXRS. The FXRS is paid for anyway... Ha

So, i'm going over different options for my plans on what I can do to the FXRS to "pretty" her up and "update" her some more... It's already got the ev27 cam and lifters.. I think I just need new jugs (black and chrome), some mild headwork, and new cases..

·
Administrator
11,287 Posts
New Jugs are available from HD, why do the old ones need replacing? Where are the leaks from?Headwork isn't a problem :D But curious why you need new cases? What year is the FXRS and how much for the 02 RK?

·
Premium Member
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The case are just old and have paint peeling and oxidation. The pushrod tubes have rusty spots on them, etc...
I could have them powdercoated I suppose, but I really dig the black and chrome look on the engines. Well, I say chrome, but you know what I mean.

I believe it's leaking oil from the primary a little, and also from somewhere underneath. Just a few drops here and there. I'm thinking possibly the cases.

The FXRS is a 91. I'm selling the RoadKing for $15900.00. It's like better than new. 2800 miles is all... It's the Classic with EFI. Black.

I WAS selling both, and was gonna get a wideglide after they sold, but after further thought, I realized that my fxrs has almost everything the wideglide would have, plus better handleing. I've got forward controls and mini apes on it, so it fits me perfect, and like I said, it's paid for and the King isnt...Ha

·
Administrator
11,287 Posts
IMO, there are a couple ways you can go with the EVO. First you can rebuild it and solve most or all those problems and retain the EV27 cam. Or for a couple dollars more, you can do a factory rebuild. You send them the motor and they send it back looking like new. The drawback to that is if you have any performance parts in it, they won't be coming back. If all you have done is the cam and it is still in good shape, you could pull the cam and through a stock cam in and send it back. Then install the EV27 in the new motor. They do an excellent job on the rebuilds and they are very afordable. I have not heard any complaints with their rebuild program.

Just a thought.

·
You're an evildoer.
559 Posts
Do you have to let them take the engine out? Somewhere I read on here that it was 12 hours of labor to remove, and another 12 to install.

Is that right?

·
Premium Member
48 Posts
In order to have the factory rebuild your engine, a dealer is required to remove it and send it in, Its about $2500 exchanged for black and chrome, plus labor, 12 hours sounds way to hi,

·
The Best Me I Can Be
22,852 Posts
hdracer67 said:
In order to have the factory rebuild your engine, a dealer is required to remove it and send it in, Its about $2500 exchanged for black and chrome, plus labor, 12 hours sounds way to hi,
A bud of mine just had his '89 EG done. He pulled and reinstalled the motor himself, and shipped thru the dealer. The factory did the rebuild but there's no warranty because the dealer didn't pull/reinstall.

Joe

1 - 17 of 17 Posts