V-Twin Forum banner

141 - 157 of 157 Posts

·
The Best Me I Can Be
22,530 Posts
I thought about a parts runner job after being retired for three years. I ended up at a sporting goods store in hunting, firearms and fishing. I started three weeks after the shooting at Sandy Hook School. It was a real sh!t show around the gun and ammo counter for a while.
I bet it was. If I have to be on my feet, I'd rather walk than stand. And, I'd rather be outside. And and , I've been a business owner and would rather not handle retail customers any more.

Bring it in, put it on the counter, and out the door sounds better to me.

joe

·
Registered
3,354 Posts
I bet it was. If I have to be on my feet, I'd rather walk than stand. And, I'd rather be outside. And and , I've been a business owner and would rather not handle retail customers any more.

joe
agree with walking vs standing, I can't stand very long, i have been turning down back surgery since 2004, after seeing my mom and brother do back surgeries in 2001 for pain not going away down one leg and can't stand very long, then see they do no better afterwards plus they lived off pain meds the rest of the days, I said no way Jose' I'll stick with my problem and do my best. If I stand in one spot for about 30 minutes my legs get to hurting so bad they go numb, but I can walk a mile and be fine?

What I'd love to do, would be selling hotdogs/polish sausages and Bratts off a hot dog stand, sell a product that sells it self by smell lol!

·
The Best Me I Can Be
22,530 Posts
agree with walking vs standing, I can't stand very long, i have been turning down back surgery since 2004, after seeing my mom and brother do back surgeries in 2001 for pain not going away down one leg and can't stand very long, then see they do no better afterwards plus they lived off pain meds the rest of the days, I said no way Jose' I'll stick with my problem and do my best. If I stand in one spot for about 30 minutes my legs get to hurting so bad they go numb, but I can walk a mile and be fine?

What I'd love to do, would be selling hotdogs/polish sausages and Bratts off a hot dog stand, sell a product that sells it self by smell lol!

My 3 knee replacements agree with you. Doc wants to replace my shoulders now. I'll put that off 'til I absolutely can't take the (natural) pain .

We owned a florist shop. My take-aways, for any future business, are...

1-- No perishable product.

2-- No retail product. Retail customers are ignorant and entitled.

3-- No emotional product. They make customers MORE ignorant and entitled.

3-- No 'luxury' product. If people get nervous about their money, flowers is one of the first abandoned discretionary expenses. See, also, 2 and 3 above.

joe

·
not sober all the time
5,495 Posts

joe
Come to think of it, my first job after graduating high school was working at an auto parts store and running parts was one of my duties. They also had a shop with a couple of mechanics. You could rent a stall and do your own work. You could checkout tools from a tool crib and of course, buy parts to do the job. If you got over your head you could have a mechanic finish the job for you. I turned wrenches sometimes, cleaned up the shop, sold parts, ran parts, etc. I remember doing an oil change on an older Lincoln. Pulled the oil drain plug and nothing came out. Had to chisel through the sludge with a screwdriver and hammer to get it to drain.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Yup, gettin old is great! Had surgery on my right knee twice now, and it needs to be replaced they say. Along with a torn rotator in my left shoulder. I won't let them cut me yet, everyone I've talked thats had their shoulder done, said that if I can stand the pain don't do it. I can still get around decently enough to put it off for awhile longer....lol.

As for work.......I LOVE being retired, and have no problems filling my day with stuff to do.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
[QUOTE="mountainkowboy, post: 5916930, member: 260706

As for work.......I LOVE being retired, and have no problems filling my day with stuff to do.
[/QUOTE]
Same for me and IF you don't want to fill your day with stuff to do, you don't have to.....

·
Premium Member
6,911 Posts
Yup, gettin old is great! Had surgery on my right knee twice now, and it needs to be replaced they say. Along with a torn rotator in my left shoulder. I won't let them cut me yet, everyone I've talked thats had their shoulder done, said that if I can stand the pain don't do it. I can still get around decently enough to put it off for awhile longer....lol.

When I had my rotator surgery one of the nurses warned me that I needed to do everything I was told during recovery because it is not something I want to go through again. She was right.

It wasn't so much the surgery or any pain associated with it as much as it was a huge inconvenience. You don't realize just how much you rely on your upper body parts.

·
The Best Me I Can Be
22,530 Posts
Of course I can say things for you whether you want me to or not.?
You might do a better job.

And you're kinda making my point, there is no logical connection between 'site navigation' and 'edit'. Then there's the fact that 'reply', 'quote', 'like', 'save', and 'share' all are right out in the open, obvious as Dallas; and none of them are more deserving of being easy to find than 'edit' is.

But, thank you sir anyway.

joe

·
Registered
11,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #155 (Edited)
You might do a better job.

And you're kinda making my point, there is no logical connection between 'site navigation' and 'edit'. Then there's the fact that 'reply', 'quote', 'like', 'save', and 'share' all are right out in the open, obvious as Dallas; and none of them are more deserving of being easy to find than 'edit' is.

But, thank you sir anyway.

joe
Mine says moderate, hit that then it says edit. If I posted on the wrong forum then I can erase everything ,but my name and avatar.

Sent from Ricky Ricardo's illegitimate son

·
Registered
11,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #156
I broke both shoulders in a wreck at the track, I appreciate all those moving parts....
I have stairs and a ramp on the back porch. I make it a point to use the stairs to keep my legs in shape. My arms stay in shape, because after living up nawth for 37 yrs I have to wave my hands around to talk.

Sent from my moto g(7) supra using Tapatalk

·
Registered
858 Posts
I won't let them cut me yet, everyone I've talked thats had their shoulder done, said that if I can stand the pain don't do it.
I had mine done and followed aftercare instructions to the letter. Well worth it. Putting off surgery until you're too old to heal isn't a winning play so I won't do that.

I waited longer than was wise for discectomy and fusion and won't make that mistake again either. I used pain meds as appropriate (real men can use any pain med and don't turn into junkies, or drunks, or other varieties of degenerate), performed physiotherapy precisely as directed onsite plus more at home and healed nicely. Most people screw it up or get the "git 'er dun" disease (a symptom of stupidity) and lift what they should not instead of being creative and using the right tools for the job. I move lots of heavy objects but I don't strain my body or break a sweat doing it because that's retarded. I rather like having a functional shoulder and getting a bit more sleep.

141 - 157 of 157 Posts