V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all;

First i have read every single post related to Corbin seats and others. I have decided on a Corbin, but can't for the life of me figure out which one to get. Every time I speak to Corbin they give me a different solution. Here are the facts;
  • Ride is a 06 RK Classic
  • i am 5'9" 30" inseam
  • with stock seat both feet are planted nicely, but i do lean into stock bars a bit
  • i will change bars, although i dont know which ones yet (need help with this too)

So, what do I do. Close or no close. Or is the answer something in between the two. I hear that the Close moves you up 1 inche from stock and the regular Solo moves you back 2 inches. Please help.

·
CMA-er
973 Posts
Your fit on a bike with different seats is really a very individual thing. I'll give you my experience with a Corbin Close Solo... Hated it. I have an 04 Heritage, and it brought me up sooo close to the bars and controls that I felt like I was almost in a fetal position. I'm 5'7". It was also really hard, and very small. I sold it on eBay, and bought a Mustang. It put me in the normal stock position, and isn't as hard and small. A lot of us riders end up having to try a couple of seats before we find one that fits us.

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
Great question and one that I grappled with for some time. I own a RK Cutsom and originally bought the Dual Tour. Great seat, but too wide at the tank. I am 5'8" and the additional width at the tank made me shorter when it came to the stop lights. I mention this because the Classic Solo features the same width at the nose.

I decided to go with the Classic Solo and ordered it directly through Corbin. They will custom modify the seat for you one time at no charge. I talked with the representative who was very knowledgeable and spent some time helping me through the process. His recommendations were:

Classic Solo (not close version) for my height and inseam (5'8"/30"). He said the close would be too close. He recommended adding 1.5" to the back of the standard seat and to do what they called "a nose job" where they narrow the seat at the tank. I also told him that I wanted to sit more into the bike rather than on top of the bike. He recommended dishing out the saddle an additonal 1.5". I ordered the seat based on these recommendations and couldn't be happier.

I also like the Corbin over the Mustang because Corbin is made with leather rather than vinyl. I can't imagine a seat more comfortable than the ride I get with the Corbin and the modifications recommended worked out perfectly.

My only complaint is that if you order the studs, request that extra attention be paid to their placement (spacing).

Since I will never ride with a backrest, I had them eliminate the slot (nicer look IMO).

One more feature I really like is the key lock. I don't think anyone else has this and it sure gives me a little extra piece of mind that someone isn't going to loosen one screw and walk away with my $400 seat.

Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
8-Ball said:
I decided to go with the Classic Solo and ordered it directly through Corbin. They will custom modify the seat for you one time at no charge. I talked with the representative who was very knowledgeable and spent some time helping me through the process. His recommendations were:
Hope this helps.
8-Ball - exactly what i am going through. Do you remeber who you spoke to. I have spoken to two different folks there and am getting seriously different answers. I too want the Corbin for the looks, leather and gotta love the lock. What bars are you using? Thanks

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
tlr said:
8-Ball - exactly what i am going through. Do you remeber who you spoke to. I have spoken to two different folks there and am getting seriously different answers. I too want the Corbin for the looks, leather and gotta love the lock. What bars are you using? Thanks

I spoke with Gustavo Zuniga.... California Location

I still have the beach bars which I like very much, but have been studying the Carlini 1.5" diameter 13" apes for a while now. I definitely like the 1.5". I am also interested in the Exile cycles throttle control with concealed cable.... one day.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Love the Corbin

I went with the Classic Solo over the Close because I wanted to sit further back, not so much on top of the tank like the stock seat did. Also, no more back pain!! The Deluxe stock seat really killed my lower back. I really love the Corbin and would buy another one if I had too. Made my Deluxe much more enjoyable to ride. Also agree with the others about it being made of quality leather and the lockable seat is great too.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Forget the close solo...

I was just at the Corbin Factory on 12/10. They made a solo for my 06' Street Glide. First let me say that Mike Corbin has hired the most helpful and courteous people. Really wonderful. I also visited his factory back in 1996 when he was in Castroville and had the same experience. Back to the close solo. The regular solo is quite close, and based on your height and inseam will be fine for you. I'm 6'2" and had to have an additional 2 to 3 inches cut out of my seat to make it work for me. If you go with the CLOSE solo you will be throughing your money away. I know this.

Best of luck.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts