V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone seen the new Corbin Saddlebags? I hate the look of both the H-D leather bags and the molded bags but I guess sometimes you have to have something (especially if traveling with the OL). I have the H-D leatherbags and I think they ruin the lines of the bike. The Road King looks good with it's bags, I wish they could come up with a bags that looks good on the v-rod.
If I'm alone I try and use a T-bag hanging on the backrest and, if necessary, a BackPack as well.
Love the Rod but it's just not a touring bike.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Your right Bermuda, the V-Rod is NOT a touring bike and wasn't intended to be. It is a sport cruiser. At best, a short trip two up machine.

I read your other post regarding the Road King. Did the one you saw in FL have the SE Gold package with all the gold paint trim? Saw one at Vandervest HD in August. Totally ausum looking machine! Think the price was in the 30 grand range.

Don't take this personally but how many miles of road can you possibly have on your little island that you need a touring bike? Or do you ride alot in the States or Europe?

Pete

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
PAS22,
I keep my bike in Florida at the moment (it never comes to Bermuda because the largest bikes we can have here are 100cc and the speed limit is 20mph). I have to travel to the U.S. to ride. I really like the bike and up until my trip to Key West with my wife all my riding has been solo which I have no problem with on the V-Rod (with the Sundowner seat. T-bag and/or Backpack). Unfortunately (????) my wife really enjoyed the ride and I think will be travelling with much more often. The problem is that her make-up just about takes up one saddlebag. That's why I was thinking of the Road King. What do you think?

·
Registered
149 Posts
If I were to buy a Harley touring bike it would be a Road King. However, when it comes to touring, American Honda is king of the hill. Check out the new Goldwing. Next year I may strongly consider an ST1300, sport tourer as a second bike for longer, overnight journeys. Dual overhard cam V-4, fuel injected, liquid cooled, etc. at around $13,000, its a steal!

By the way, hows the weather in Bermuda this time of year?

Pete

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
PAS22,
I know Hondas have great deals going. A friend of mine just got a the Honda VTX for $9000 - compare that to the $20,000 V-Rod. And the Goldwings are great buys too. Unfortunately I'm just set on a Harley and since the grass is always greener on the other side I'm starting to think RK - (and yeah the one I saw in Lauderdale had the SE Gold Key as well as tons of chrome and the Stage 1 package ???). The only problem is that when I rode a Fat Boy for a while I just couldn't wait to get back on the V-Rod. I would think the RK would be similar to the FB as far as engine performance is concerned. There is nothing like the V-Rod engine. Did you look at the Corbin Beetlebags?

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
PAS22,

Sorry forget to mention weather here - 77 High - 68 Low - beautiful for riding if there was anywhere to go.

Peter

·
Registered
149 Posts
Peter,

I road a neighbors Electricglide and frankly, wasn't impressed. It had good weight balance for a heavy bike, an advantage Harvey has over Honda with almost any of their models, but the performance was lacking. Plus all the pumping HD has done about the Twin Cam being so "smooth" is a lot of BS. This thing still shakes like it's about to jump out of the frame. Only good think is that is dampened with so must rubber that vibration isn't transferred to the rider. However, anything that vibrates that bad is going to lossen parts and dump oil sooner or later. I was happy to get back on the V-Rod which is one of the smoothist, vibration free, bikes I've ever experienced.

As for the Corbins I havn't seen them, only the HD hard shells. I just to care to drape anything on this ride, I'll suffer with the back pack first! But thats me.

Pete

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
PAS22,

Yeah, I agree. I rode an Ultra Classic that was great at 60 or 70 mph but leaving a stop light I found it heavy, bulky, sluggish and mis-geared (you have to change out of first at about 5mph and out of second soon after). The V-Rod loves to break away and runs smooth and clean and likes to stay in first until about 25-30. That might just be the way I ride but the bike seems to love it and I love riding it that way.
Before I consider changing to anything else like a RK I think I'll rent one first and try it out.
Probably be hard to get me off the V-Rod so I may just to get a second bike (along with divorce papers)

Peter

·
Registered
149 Posts
JMS

Thanks, that is beautiful and shear poetry. I bought the V-Rod because I think it is the finest cruiser out there, bar none. That fact that it was built by Harley Davidson is testemony to how far the Company has come. If it were a Honda, I would still have bought it.

There will always be a market for the traditional Harleys, for those who want them. I for one, can't wait for the day they put the Revolution motor in a Dyna or Road King. Then I might own a second HD.

I know a number of people that buy certain brands because of an almost religious devotion to it. No mater what the product is, and regardless of wether what their buying is over priced, or its not up to the quality of the competition. The motorcycle buying public is getting smarter and HD knows this and gave us the V-Rod.

More and more, todays motorcycle buyer trys to be objective about what their getting for their hard earned dollar. Before I settled on buying the V-Rod I very seriously considered a VTX. Believe me, the VTX is a better bike than almost anything else out there in its class. But the V-Rod won out, not because it has soul like a traditional bike, or ticks like an old pocket watch, but because it is in every respect, a supperb machine that is designed and built for the 21st century.

Pete

1 - 11 of 11 Posts