V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to replace the sundowner seat on my 2001 RK with something new and different. Corbin seemed to have the best options for me, but, frankly, there were alot of posts on this website that discouraged me from buying Corbin primarily because of reported poor customer service. Well, I ended up taking a chance and just installed a new, grey dual touring seat on my bike. Fit is excellent, workmanship is great, and the seat color adds a different dimension to my bike. I should mention that the sundowner seat that I replaced was OK....much more comfortable than the stock seat that originally came with the bike. However, when I compare the Corbin to the sundowner there is a significant difference in weight and firmness. The sundowner is very cushioned while the Corbin is very firm.....but not so firm as to be uncomfortable. As commonly reported, the Corbin has a 1,500 mile break in period so we'll see. So far, Corbin's customer service has been very responsive to my needs. Hope it keeps up.

·
Registered
18 Posts
If I may, What did you pay for the Corbin Seat. I am looking at a new seat on my 05 RG. Let us know what you think after it breaks in. Txs

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The grand total was $1279. That included a rain cover for the seat and two covers for each backrest. I wouldn't buy those......they're expensive and you need to gauge just how often you're going to be caught in the rain. There are cheaper alternatives. As far as "options" on the seat, I just had grey smooth leather and black studs installed around the perimeter of the backrests and along the backs of the rider/passenger sections of the seat. I'll also mention that there are four positions to the driver's backrest, which allows me to sit a bit further back that with my sundowner seat. I took advantage of 50 degree weather today and the seat felt great!

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
I bought the Corbin Dual Tour and my wife loved it. I hated it. Not the quality, but the fact that the nose of the seat (at the tank) was much wider than the stock seat. This made me much shorter at the stop lights, making it awkward to control the bike coming to a stop. I also didn't like the way the dual tour made me ride higher up on the bike. Of course, my wife doesn't ride with me all the time and I truly like the look of the solo.

My solution was to order a Corbin Classic Solo and have Corbin do some modifications prior to shipping. They do this one time for free you know. I had them adjust the seat according to my height and inseam, dish out the saddle to sink me deeper into the bike and narrow the nose at the tank. The resulting seat is absolutely perfect. I then ordered a touring pillion which is almost as padded and wide as the dual tour. My wife says it is very comfortable, although maybe not as comfortable as the dual tour. So that was the compromise we made and it seems to be working.

Unfortunately the passenger pillion cannot be had with a back rest so I ordered the removeable sissy bar from HD and a matching leather backrest from Corbin. The two are designed to fit each other.

I think the total cost was about $1200 including the sissy bar from HD.

This is a great setup if you like the look of a solo seat while riding solo.

8-Ball

·
Premium Member
579 Posts
8-Ball said:
I bought the Corbin Dual Tour and my wife loved it. I hated it. Not the quality, but the fact that the nose of the seat (at the tank) was much wider than the stock seat. This made me much shorter at the stop lights, making it awkward to control the bike coming to a stop. I also didn't like the way the dual tour made me ride higher up on the bike. Of course, my wife doesn't ride with me all the time and I truly like the look of the solo. 8-Ball
I had the same experience and feelings about the dual tour for my Custom. Nicely built but not designed well for anyone with an inseam of 33" or less. When I ride solo the stock seat goes back on. The wife can't stand the small pillow seat on the custom. I'll probably wind up selling it on eBay and look for something that fits my legs better.

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am 6'3", so I haven't had a problem with seat height or width that some other folks have mentioned. I will say, however, that the rider's backrest sits lower than the one on my sundowner...I haven't compared, but since I'm using the same H-D removable backrest part of this is because the Corbin seat is "thicker" than the H-D sundowner. With the weather turning lousy for winter, my wife hasn't ridden on the bike since I put the new seat on. One thing we also noticed was that she has a tighter fit between the driver's backrest and her own backrest....I'll probably just take off the driver's backrest for those times we are riding two-up.

·
Registered
152 Posts
We bought the Corbin Classic Solo, Wide Touring passenger pillion, RK-Pad for the HD sissy bar and the driver's backrest. Total came to 1126.00 including the sissy bar and docking kit. Bought everything through the dealer with a 20% discount.

After 500 miles, I think the Corbin Classic Solo is the most comfortable motorcycle seat I've ever had (and I've had quite a few in the last 31 years). The front of the saddle is a little wider than stock but I'm really liking it since it seems to keep all the heat from the cross-over pipe away from my upper legs.

Miriam is comfortable on the pillion but is still reserving final judgement.

If I use the driver backrest, she really doesn't have much room and forces the legs out in a pretty uncomfortable position. I'll probably only use it on a long solo trip.

·
banal
486 Posts
I agree with UltraClassic about the Corbin Classic Solo. Since I put mine on a few months ago, replacing the Corbin Dual Tour strictly as a gamble because I like the solo look so much, I have made several all-day 400+ miles in a day trips, and for what its worth, I find the Classic Solo to be every bit just as comfortable as the Corbin Dual Tour seat.

·
Premium Member
515 Posts
Had a Corbin dual touring seat with heat on my 97 FLHTC, The Corbin seat doesn't adjust to you!! YOUR BUTT ADJUSTS TO THE CORBIN!!!!! Me having a stubborn butt never conformed. Aggognized for over a year and about 10,000 miles. Finally sold it and put a HD tall boy pillow seat on, more comfortable, but now I suffer from Monkey Butt. You sink so deep into the tall boy, it doesn't allow air circulation......hense MB. Sheep skin coming this summer.....

·
Registered
10 Posts
I purchased my Corbin Dual Tour and rider backrest for my '05 FLHRI from Bikerhaven.net http://gallery.bcentral.com/GID5122191DD443585-SEATS/CORBIN-SEATS/Harley/Dual-Tour.aspx

This is my third Corbin DT - the previous two I purchased direct from Corbin. Quality, fit and materials are top notch. The best testimony I can give is that I never even think of the seat on long or short rides. This is my first rider backrest and it really increases comfort. When I have a passenger, I remove it from the rider post and stick it in the passenger post.

I agree with the comment that the seat best fits a taller rider (I am 6'3", 225 lbs., 34" inseam) - the firm lip on the sides is noticeable when your feet are on the ground - but while riding with feet on the floor boards or highway pegs, the bucket is a perfect fit for me. The seat moves you back and lower a tad. It is a firm seat and not for everyone. My experience is that it takes a riding season to break it in - helpful to let it sit in the sun a few times before a ride.

·
Registered
958 Posts
You guys paid over $1000.00 for a seat?!!
My corbin stinger cost a little over 300.00 and I thought that was expensive.
Must be pretty fancy.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts