V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Having been on my stock seat for almost a year (2010 FLHX); I needed a change. Some days I could manage up to an hour of riding time; however, when the pain set in it was a battle to keep from stopping about every 30-45 minutes; shifting like crazy in the seat and performing weird stretching techniques while underway was unavoidable. For the past couple of months, not only was my backside hurting, but I was also getting pain in the lower neck and between the shoulder blades and I would be physically exhausted over 2-3 hour rides. All I wanted was a seat that I could stay on from the little "F" mark to "E" mark on the fuel gauge without having to stop. So the hunt was on for a better seat.
As far as options, I singled out two manufacturers. There was also a vendor who modified stock seats, but the Mrs wanted a little better designed seat for her. Corbin was the final choice based on pillion mounting design for the Classic Solo (this information is vague from vendors); but the price was a little steep. After checking with a local HD dealership, I found out they would order Corbin's and with a 20% discount the price wasn't so bad; plus they could handle any unforeseen issues. Four weeks later I get the seat and I installed it last Wednesday night. Yesterday was the maiden voyage. Here is my take:
Quality:
The Classic Solo and 50's pillion are flawless in craftsmanship and they are surprisingly heavy. The installation was without hitch and the locking mechanisms are very well made. It is a firm seat.
Position:
I was looking for lower and back in the new seating position, however I could not find definite information regarding position. Manufacturers would do wonders providing comparisons to stock seating.
I am 6' with a 34" inseam. The Solo moves you back maybe an inch and up about 3/4 to one inch. The seat does have more cant rearward and I can't help but think that a backrest would compliment the seat. The cant sort of throws off how far back the seat actually moves you back, so it is hard to say actually how far back you are moved.
Comfort:
For the first time, I was able to ride from the "F" to "E" mark without the need to stop. I did need to shift around some here and there after 3/4 of a tank and for the next ride, I will remove my wallet and see if that helps. I wasn't experiencing pain, more like slight discomfort because I hadn't moved at all on the seat for quite some time/distance. Shifting in the factory seat did nothing for comfort. Corbin says the seat will break in after 1.5K miles...I am thinking maybe 500; but I weigh about 240. After tooling around a few rougher roads I frequent, I noticed that the firm seat is exactly what I was looking for. So much better is the ride, I have to consciously prevent myself from grimacing over anticipated bumps/hazards. I can feel the shocks working now and the benefit they provide and I wasn't even close to the exhaustion level I was previously.
With the new seating position, up and back, the pain in my shoulders and neck is gone but this may have been caused by the tension from the factory seat. This bothered me so much, I was looking into purchasing mini-apes, but now I can't justify purchasing them for anything other than style. My arms are stretched a little better and I noticed my grip is more relaxed during the ride.
My left knee would bother me a little before the new seat, I don't have highway pegs, and the higher position seems better for my knees. So all said and done, I welcome the higher position and this may be the better position on the road as the shift in balance feels better. Around town though, I would think lower is better but highway comfort is what I am after.
The leather does provide a cooler ride and the shape of the seat does provide better air flow in the thigh area. Just thought I would throw that out there.
The Mrs hasn't rode yet, so I cannot provide her input for the pillion.

I have no interest other than to provide information that I was looking for when I was trying to make a decision on which seat to buy. I am totally happy with the seat and intend to purchase the backrest and maybe the touring pillion (pending wife's input) at one of the next 20% off events at the HD dealership. I will provide further input after a few more miles, but I hope others can find this information useful.

·
Banned
4,262 Posts
I had an almost identical experience with a Corbin seat. You will love that seat more as the "break in" is done. Seems to me that the MOCO could figure out a comfortable seat. On my current ride I have a Mustang that looks identical to the Harley Sundowner, but the difference is day and night. The Sundowner started to really hurt after about an hour, but now I can ride from full to empty with no pain at all.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Update,

Just returned from a trip to Arkansas to visit family. Was able to complete an Iron Butt Saddle Sore on the way there and then again when returning within a weeks time. Couldn't have done it on a stock seat!
First: I would suggest that anyone that is interested in long distance riding fork the money for a backrest. I was able to use my waterproof bag (it is rather large) as a makeshift backrest and it made a huge difference.
Second: I thought that riding the full range of the fuel capacity would be the ticket for this endeavor. I weathered the ride better the first time stopping at every rest stop and then keeping the gas stops separate. When I arrived in Ar, I felt good, tired but didn't feel like I rode 1000 miles. The return trip, I stopped about a third less and paid the price as I was exhausted the next day.
Third: The 50's style touring pad does not fit with the stealth luggage rack and I had to cut off about an inch off of the forward section of horizontal bars. No biggy to me, but it would have been nice to know that up front. They state on their site that the touring pad will not fit, no mention of a problem with the 50's style. I'll send them an email to let them know.
Fourth: The website says that you must remove the solo seat to install the p-pad. I do not need to do that as the tab for the p-pad slides under the solo seat.

·
self banned
5,992 Posts
Great review. I just wanted to add that I had been trying different used corbin seats (dual tour vs classic solo) before shelling out the money for a new one.

My first was a real old classic solo, bought from a guy that was probably 6'3" or 6'4". This seat was pretty firm, set me very back and low. (I am about 6'1"). I liked the feel of this seat and decided "OK, so corbin was the way to go!" I then purchased a full sized pillion pad at dennis kirk at a good discount to make sure the wife would like the corbin and she did! The problem was the real old leather didn't match the new style leather so I was then thinking about trying a dual tour. I found a dual tour on ebay which also included a backrest cheap so I bought that to use riding two up. Although the seat itself was more comfy than the solo, it moved me way too forward (no it was not a close model). I measured the seat and it was 18" just like the specs say. Also note that the wife did not like the dual tour as the seat has a downward angle to the front whereas the pillion pad did not.

OK, so I decided to contact corbin and see if they could make a dual tour that would seat me down and back as far as my solo and be flat in the back. I submitted my questions to the factory in CA via their website, no response. I tried calling the CA factory, busy busy then leave a message. (I did read about poor customer service here). Ok, thought I would try the Florida showroom. Got right through and spoke with Vincent. He listened to my story, and thought it would be best getting a new classic solo which should be as comfy as the dual tour and I would still be able to use the pillion pad. He asked me questions about my bike and body etc to get a seat to "fit me" properly. They had one in stock for my size (back 2" from the stock seats), but it had the chrome studs, not the chrome&black studs that my pad and backrests have. He was able to change the studs in a day and get my seat shipped out asap. Otherwise they would have needed to custom make one.

When I got my seat, I was disappointed at first that it didn't move me quite as far back and down as the old solo I had...but damn..this seat and position is f-n comfortable! They do allow you to send it back to re-adjust the seat if needed, but with a little tweak of the bars, I am sitting golden! And the new seat looks great with the p-pad as well. Vincent did say that they could change the leather on my p-pad to match if needed for $100.

Yes I paid full price for the seat, but I was in the mindset that if I am going to pay a lot for the seat I want to get it right. I have heard that sometimes getting seats through non dealers they sometimes are older models from drag specialties etc and I am not sure if I would get the same treatment to ensure proper fitment.

Also note that Vincent also was very responsive after the sale answering various questions and keeping me up to date about the shipment.

Sorry for the long length, hope this helps someone...

rkc

·
Registered
12 Posts
Good reviews.

3 year old thread revival!

Does anyone have an update on this seat? ( the classic)
Has it been changed at all for better/worse since 2010?

I'm looking to pick one up and looking at reviews etc....

·
Premium Member
43 Posts
Classic

I have a Corbin Classic solo on my 98 Road King. It is 15 years old and has provided excellent service and comfort on long days. It is beginning to show it's age so I am planning on replacing it with a new one before the end of the current year. Corbin has told me that I can return my original one and they will rebuild it from the seat pan up - I'll probably go that way in order to save a little money. I won't hesitate getting the same seat again - it was and is an excellent value.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have the solo as well, been on the bike around 7 years... recently just picked up a passenger seat. You can tell if you look closely that the solo seat has a little wear, hoping after a while they match up nicely. I love how far back and low this seat is, feels a lot less cramped than the stock seats.

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
I have a bomber brown Corbin classic solo with full size pillion on my 2012 CVO Road Glide. Bought it at the Daytona Corbin showroom about 18 months ago. have put about 20,000 miles on it.

None of the luggage racks, including the stealth, fit with the full size pillion.

The seams on each side, where my legs go over, have worn through and look scuffed. I showed it to the Corbin staff at Sturgis a couple of weeks ago and they said that was because of the way I put my leg over. That is BS. It is where I sit. It just has not worn well. Anyway, he didn't want to do anything about it.

Other than that, I generally agree with the 3 year old OP. i am 5'10", 175 lbs, with a 30 inch inseam. The seat moves me back and a little higher, which is fine --- but the back rest does not provide any lumbar support. It hits me a little higher in the lower part of my middle back. The way the back rest is angled for someone my size just causes it to hit a little higher on my back than I would like. I actually strap on a small lumbar pillow to the back rest to hit me in the lower back where I want it... and that helps me a lot.

I routinely ride a 5 hour trip (each way) every Friday and Monday, during which I stop once for gas and fluid offload. So I put a lot of long distance seat time on this saddle. Other than the lower back tweak I mentioned, and the wear problem, which is unfortunate, the seat is great. I have had Mustang and HD stock, and the Corbin is far and way more comfortable over the long haul...I agree with the OP analysis.

I am thinking of getting a gunfighter Corbin.....may be in Daytona for Biketober and will try it out then....

Bottom line: I recommend the Corbin seat. Period

1 - 8 of 8 Posts