V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had problems with coolant overflow? Took bike in for 1K mi. service since getting it back twice the coolant has either leaked or overflowed for no reason. I can't seem to find the leak and I would say it leaks out about 5 to 10oz. then just stops, it also seems to do it only at idle, but maybe its leaking while rideing and I just don't notice it. When I talked to the service manager about it he said it was propably just overflow, funny it didn't overflow befor the 1K mi. service? Also why would it overflow all over the right (exhaust side) of the motor?
Thanks
RVROD

·
Registered
147 Posts
Mine has never done this, but it seems like maybe it was overfilled. Is the tank on the right side up to level?

·
Registered
115 Posts
Overflow?

Take off the "Tank" and look at the rubber overflow hose leading to the coolant line just under the filler cap. Likely, the hose is not attached and even more likely, the metal nipple which the rubber hose slides onto is broken off. Once the coolant heats up and expands it sprays out the hole instead of going out the overflow hose. This sprays pink coolant down the exhaust side of the bike. This is such a common problem that it took over 2 months for my dealer to get a new coolant line in due to the backorder. My dealer tried to Tig Weld it but the metal is so soft that it still leaked a little through a pin hole. I duct taped over the hole to stop the spray and keep coolant in the bike and put a screw into the end of the over flow hose and rode for 2 months like that. The first time I noticed this was the first time I rode the bike from the dealer. So, either it came like that from factory or the dealer broke it during PDI. The dealer rewelded it in a much better place, and they emailed HD their advice on the new location. Maybe they will relocate for 2004.....maybe not.

·
Premium Member
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Paul,
Thanks for the reply. I have read other threads re. this broken nipple on the overflow. I thought it was refering to the nipple on the expansion tank. I removed the side cover and it was fine. How do I get to this other nipple (metal) that you are referring to? I have a service manual ordered but it can't be that tough can it?
Thanks
Kevin

·
Premium Member
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the feedback guys. I found the leak it was at the hose running to the brass fitting coming out of the back of the thermostat housing. Thought I would let everyone know just in case someone runs into the same mystry leak.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Kevin, just pop off the airbox cover (aluminum "gas tank") and it is on the right side of the black box on the pipe that has the rad filler cap. The nipple is the one that the small rubber hose attaches to that pipe with, just under the filler cap.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts