V-Twin Forum banner

Cool Trips This Summer

5K views 81 replies 30 participants last post by  fourhour 
#1 ·
Hey, it is 7 degrees here in Ohio and it is time for warmer thoughts! Anybody planning any cool bike trips this summer? I am going down the Skyline Drive and the Blue Ridge Parkway.
TmrHrrs

#27 ·
I haven't made the trip to the tail of the dragon (deal's gap) on my bike but I took my 2000 vet over there last year. It was the bomb.We had 15 vets and we stopped at the damn and had lunch...We all hit the turns wfo and had 5 or 6 hwp setting at the Tenn. line checking license and he stated he heard us coming. I asked him how far in Tenn it goes he laugh and said if you don't slow down not far.

#28 ·
I normally make two or three trips up to Riders Roost in the mountains of NC. It is a biker only campground. We normally have a group of 5 - 10 people go up and we have a great time. Check out their website . I go up when everyone is heading to Myrtle Beach.

#29 ·
Ratdog said:
We all hit the turns wfo and had 5 or 6 hwp setting at the Tenn. line checking license and he stated he heard us coming. I asked him how far in Tenn it goes he laugh and said if you don't slow down not far.
If ya didn't get to Tennessee, you didn't get the Dragon. It's all in Tennessee except maybe 1/8 of a mile which is in NC. All 318 switchbacks are in Tennessee! And...within 11 miles!

#30 ·
yellowFatboy200 said:
Laconia is a must fer me. Only 4hr
No, they'll be others there!:D YFB200; When are ya going up? Have'nt decided when I am but you might be riding through my neck of the woods and maybe we can hook up. Quite possibly be like Wednesday or so.

TA, Could'nt tell if you are going or not. What gives?

Rocko, Welcome back. How was Pheonix? You ain't gonna do Laconia?

As for me, I'll be a definite for Laconia. Maybe flying to Florida for some, "cabin fever relief" soon. Have'nt decided when but could be during bike week. Maybe rent and ride up from Melbourne if possible? (Um, what dates this year?) Passed up on a Sturgis trip with a couple buddies mostly due to expenses. Mrytle Beach ain't that far away, maybe look at that option.:D

#31 ·
Dennis, yeah I usually go both weekends but day trips. I rode there and back three seperate days last year (less than 100 miles each way). The year before that there was a single nite friday at the cottages on the little canal so I stayed overnight. Too many police with attitudes there, if I stay too long I'm bound to get in trouble. (they'll ticket or arrest you for saying show me your t!ts)!!

#32 ·
Maybe we can do a New England Eyeball. Got pleanty of local members here including Guido, TDickman, Rocko, and we can't forget Dean and the rest of the New Jersey and New York crew!:D

#34 ·
00Standard:
I am from Northeast Ohio and last year I took 50 East from Parkersburg and then picked up 33 east and took that over to Virgina on my way to Maryland. That is a nice ride. On 33 as you get to Virgina, it comes out of some twisties and straigtens out in the George Washington National Forest. It is like a long, cool green tunnel. Beautiful. What part of Ohio are you from? I ride down south all of the time. It is the best part of Ohio. One of my favorite rides is SR 800 south to SR 26 south to Marietta.
TmrHrrs.

#35 ·
What? Nobody planning to hit Milwaukee for the "Big" party? Me and 4 Bros are heading there the last week of Aug. Ought to be a nice ride, maybe a little hot but oh well!! After b!tchin about the cold for so long, heat is something I'm looking forward to!:D

#36 ·
Hogg831: Found it...it's a loop starting on Rt 75 north out of Shoshone, ID...through Hailey and Ketchum (takes you through Sawtooth) then south on 93 along the Lost River Range. Follow 93 to the Craters of the Moon Natl. Monument. Rt. 21 (off the northwest corner of "the loop" looks good on the map...I may try that one, too. Idaho is pretty much all mountains, so any ride up there has got to beat the flat lands that you and I are used to.

TmrHrrs: I'm in Marion...I'm guessing you're from around Dover/New Philadelphia on that route. I used to have family over around Carroll and Harrison County...some good roads over there. I have heard about Rt 26, but haven't been on it yet. I've been through most of the Wayne Natl. Forest around New Lex and Gallipoilis. Broke down in Marietta once. :)

#39 ·
I think it's about a 3 hour drive from Central Mass to Danbury, CT. Just looked at their site and could not find a 2003 schedule. Dean, any info?

#41 ·
Fourhour, Phoenix was ok, rain and cool 50-60 deg. The way people dive there make Boston drivers look like blue hairs!!! Got to take a ride up 89A from Prescott over to Cottonwood, real nice ride over the mountain, wife said no way she would ride on a bike with me on that road. I'll be at the Centrum probably on Saturday.
Up for any ride, anywhere, anytime, just give me the details and tell me where we're meeting.

#42 ·
Rocko said:
I'll be at the Centrum probably on Saturday.
Is that the 18th? I'll more than likely be there too but I was think of shooting for Sunday as I'll be working and it is right across the street:D Funny thing is, aint got no money to buy anything:mad:

#44 ·
There is a very cool book called road trips USA, its all about the two lane roads all over this country. Route 1 from maine to Key West. Route two that goes from Mass all the way to the west coast. And six or eight more. It gives out points of interest all along the way, places to stay and eat and most are reasonable because they are off the beaten path. Some interesting reading and trips if you get the chance to check it out.

#46 ·
I am planning to trailer my Sporty up to Manitowoc, Wisconsin for a couple of weeks around the end of July. The OL and I have been going up there for 32 years to visit her mom, but this will be the first time with the sled. Looking forward to riding through the countryside and along Lake Michigan.

#47 ·
Leaving Vancouver in August with the OL and a party of 10. Heading down to Sturgis for a few days for the gathering.
Carrying on through Iowa, Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, Pennsylvania, New York, Vermont, New Hampshire, Maine, then back through Ontario, dip south to Wisconsin for the other party, back up to Canada, through the Prairies, the Rockies and back home.
My arse'll never forget this :D

#49 ·
TmrHrrs:
I'm going right through there next weekend. My buddies and I put on 5 Toughman shows around Ohio...next weekend 17th & 18th we're in Warren. That's always a fun show...we usually get our ring girls from the tittie bars up there...and the clubs always treat us good after the show!

A whole weekend of beer, brawlin', and boobies! LIFE IS GOOD!

#50 ·
00Standard, thanks for the route info.....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.