V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
615 Posts
TmrHrrs: I've been down the Blue Ridge Parkway, and Skyline Drive...both beautiful rides. Remember the speed limit on the Parkway is 45...but it's O.K. 'cause you're looking at the scenery anyway!

I don't know where you are in Ohio, but I took route 50 across West Virginia to get to the start of Skyline Drive (in Virginia) and I WILL make that ride again. Good pavement, mountain roads. You're not going to make good time though, so if you want to make time, don't take 50.

If you end up in Cherokee, take the ride to Deal's Gap and ride "The Dragon". I stayed a week at the "Crossroads of Time" motel a couple of years ago, and it was just a bunch of bikers laughin' & lyin'. Watch out for the sport bikers, though...them boys is crazy!

This year, I'm planning on two weeks in Idaho...wanna ride the BIG mountians! Also gonna spend a day at the 100th B-Day Party in Milwaukee, then come home around Lake Superior...and I might take a buddy of mine (who is a Rolling Rock fanatic) to Latrobe, PA. ...or Mecca, as he calls it.

It should be a very good year.

· Registered
615 Posts
The only way to make time is on THE BIG ROADS. Last time to Wyoming, we took I-80 to Ogallala, NE, then the state roads, but this year we're going I-90, right around Rapid City/Sturgis. Getting off 90 at Buffalo, Wyoming and running through the Bighorns. We're dropping our trailers In Cooke City, Montana (northeast entrance to Yellowstone)...and riding from there. I-90 is definitely your best bet, being way up there in the northern part of Illinois. If you've never gone I-90 to Sturgis, I'll warn you ahead of time, It's the most boring stretch of road you'll ride. Rolling black ribbon and corn! But once you get to those mountains, you realize the ride was worth it. Good thing you've got an Ultra Classic, you're gonna need that radio! Highway patrol are almost non-existent out there, so set that cruise at 80 and hang on.

It also depends on what part of Idaho you want to go to. We're just gonna make a big loop around it...I've got friends in Spokane, so we're going clear to the top and cross over into Washington.

Have good ride. If you're an AMA member, check your AMA magazine from a few months back, it had a great article on the roads to ride in Idaho. I'll see if I can find mine (I put it somewhere where I wouldn't forget where it was...but, of course...) I'll post the roads they mention here in a couple of days for you.

· Registered
615 Posts
Hogg831: Found it...it's a loop starting on Rt 75 north out of Shoshone, ID...through Hailey and Ketchum (takes you through Sawtooth) then south on 93 along the Lost River Range. Follow 93 to the Craters of the Moon Natl. Monument. Rt. 21 (off the northwest corner of "the loop" looks good on the map...I may try that one, too. Idaho is pretty much all mountains, so any ride up there has got to beat the flat lands that you and I are used to.

TmrHrrs: I'm in Marion...I'm guessing you're from around Dover/New Philadelphia on that route. I used to have family over around Carroll and Harrison County...some good roads over there. I have heard about Rt 26, but haven't been on it yet. I've been through most of the Wayne Natl. Forest around New Lex and Gallipoilis. Broke down in Marietta once. :)

· Registered
615 Posts
TmrHrrs:
I'm going right through there next weekend. My buddies and I put on 5 Toughman shows around Ohio...next weekend 17th & 18th we're in Warren. That's always a fun show...we usually get our ring girls from the tittie bars up there...and the clubs always treat us good after the show!

A whole weekend of beer, brawlin', and boobies! LIFE IS GOOD!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.