V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Incredible
3,029 Posts
Quoted from the article.
"Buell will produce 50 XBRR motorcycles with a short initial run in late February and the balance made in April. U.S. MSRP is $30,995."

WTF NO Freaking way.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Fatb0y said:
Quoted from the article.
"Buell will produce 50 XBRR motorcycles with a short initial run in late February and the balance made in April. U.S. MSRP is $30,995."

WTF NO Freaking way.

For racing only. I'm definately going to Daytona.

·
Registered
927 Posts
12.5:1 compression ratio
Dual 62 mm down-draft fuel-injection throttle bodies
WAVE-analyzed header and mass-centralized muffler
150+ peak engine horsepower at 8000 rpm (per SAE J607)
100 ft. lbs. peak engine torque at 6500 rpm (per SAE J607)

I wouldn't mind 150 horse and 100 torque, even at high rpm, but 12.5:1 compression? What type of gas do you need to run?

·
Premium Member
74 Posts
Cool race bike

That will be cool. Great to see Buell going back to their roots. $30k is a decent price as long as it need no further mods. Full Ohlins suspension, carbon fibre bodywork, lots of HP and torque, and great buell handling should make it quite the bike. 150hp is enough to be competitive (competitive for a twin anyway...lol).
For all of you hoping to have one for weekend riding...you can't unless you ride on the track.

·
Incredible
3,029 Posts
What is horrible is you have to spend 30+k to get a non-street bike in order to have some of the same output to be able to keep up with a 15K or less street bike by foreign makers. I want to see Beull take a V-Rod motor and fit it in a Beull frame, sell it for 12 or less. That would be impressive.

·
Premium Member
74 Posts
Fatb0y said:
What is horrible is you have to spend 30+k to get a non-street bike in order to have some of the same output to be able to keep up with a 15K or less street bike by foreign makers. QUOTE]

Race bikes cost $30k. You are paying for more than just HP. There is a lot of tech that goes into them not to mention the parts. If you bought an R1 for racing and threw on Ohlins, carbon fiber skins, etc you would be in the same price range. Granted you get a lot more HP for that price but it is not just about HP.
Even if they put a v-rod motor in that frame and sold it for $12k less you would still have to sink $$$ to make it a racing bike.

·
Incredible
3,029 Posts
You missed my point. I was only referring to a standard beull compared to a standard sport bike by a competitor. They need to make a stock bike that can compete with a stock sport bike from their major competitors. In order to do that they first need to get the rpm range much higher. That could be done by retrofitting a v-rod or some equivalent engine into a beull frame.

It is nice to see Harley is still in the racing bike arena, the V-rod was based on one of HD's racing bikes. If they want to make a sport bike, you would think they would also base it on a "racing" bike engine and not just make a "RACING" bike that is only for the track.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
For that price , I think I'd opt for the Ducati 999R

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Fatb0y said:
You missed my point. I was only referring to a standard beull compared to a standard sport bike by a competitor. They need to make a stock bike that can compete with a stock sport bike from their major competitors.
I put 188 miles on the race track last week on my stock XB9R. I was the faster rider in my experience level group. Faster on a road race course than new ***. Liter bikes, 600's, and big Ducati's. Granted lots of bikes were faster on the 1600 foot straight but I was passing them on the rest of the course and that's where I get my kicks. I have maybe $5,500 in my bike. Lot's of fun for the money. The stock Buells work very well in my opinion.

·
Premium Member
74 Posts
Fatb0y said:
I was only referring to a standard beull compared to a standard sport bike by a competitor. They need to make a stock bike that can compete with a stock sport bike from their major competitors.
It is nice to see Harley is still in the racing bike arena, the V-rod was based on one of HD's racing bikes. If they want to make a sport bike, you would think they would also base it on a "racing" bike engine and not just make a "RACING" bike that is only for the track.
The Buell can be competitive with the right rider. In the real world a Buell should have no trouble keeping up with other sportsbikes and it is competively priced. The Firebolt and Lightning are both priced in the $10k range where the V-rod and Street Rod are in the $15k range. The trouble is that most folks don't associate Buell and HD with high performance and good handling bikes. Even the V-Rod suffers from this. The Street Rod has great components and is a very nice bike but it doesn't get much respect from either sportsbike riders or cruiser types. The same goes for Buell even though Buell's are a LOT of fun to ride. I think they have to get over the stereotype to become competitive.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Seems that all 50 have now been sold. Looks like at least four teams wil be racing the 200. Go Buell!

·
Premium Member
74 Posts
Good for Buell. Is this their first representation at AMA? I look forward to seeing the races and see how they do. Any word on who the riders are?

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
jgrant said:
Good for Buell. Is this their first representation at AMA? I look forward to seeing the races and see how they do. Any word on who the riders are?

This is from a thread on badweatherbikers.com"

"Riding for Canada - Pascal Picotte
Riding for the US - Mike Cicotto
Riding for England - Jeremy McWilliams
Riding for Japan - Couldn't recall the name "

I love that a Japanese team is running the Buell.

·
Incredible
3,029 Posts
jgrant said:
The Buell can be competitive with the right rider. In the real world a Buell should have no trouble keeping up with other sportsbikes and it is competively priced. The Firebolt and Lightning are both priced in the $10k range where the V-rod and Street Rod are in the $15k range. The trouble is that most folks don't associate Buell and HD with high performance and good handling bikes. Even the V-Rod suffers from this. The Street Rod has great components and is a very nice bike but it doesn't get much respect from either sportsbike riders or cruiser types. The same goes for Buell even though Buell's are a LOT of fun to ride. I think they have to get over the stereotype to become competitive.
Get the HP up. I have ridden a Buell and it was okay, but the first thing I notice is way to quick of a revout. The buell would need to tac 8 in their street bikes for it to impress me when comparing it with other bikes in the same price range and motor size. That is just my take on it.

·
Retired
1,835 Posts
Thanks for the link.
I like the Buells. Would love to own one,but that time in my life passed a looong time ago.

·
Registered
219 Posts
V-rod motor and cooling system would be too heavy for a buell - weight would go up quite a bit.....

The cost is mostly associated with the low production numbers, not that it is a 31K bike if mass produced. Same is going on with the V-rod destroyer drag bike, 31K for it also, does a 9 second 1/4 mile.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts