V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone;

Looks like we might be moving back home to Calgary, Canada in the spring.

Looking ahead to taking the bike back with me, does anyone know if the "miler per hour" speedo insert/module (I have an '02 FLSTFI) can be replaced or converted to a "kilometers per hour"?

Thought maybe with the new '03 Speedo/Tach combo gauge upgrade avaialable from Harley that this would indicate that the whole speedo gauge/electronics is semi plug-an-play so to speak.

The Odometer is whole other can of worms....

Ideas and thoughts welcome.

Keep all the Canadian Back Bacon jokes and 'eh' comments to yourself, ha ha ha :D

Cheers,
Greg

G

·
I have a 2002 FLSTC with a metric speedometer that I would be interested in exchanging, trouble is it's showing 11,000km. I think you have to replace the whole thing, that's why I haven't done it yet.

JT

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey JT;

Let me do some more research.

The questions would be:
1. whether the C version is compatible with fuel injected
2. whether the odo is resettable

I'm pretty sure a Harley tech can reset/change the ODO as in the '03 catalogue, and looking at the new speedo/tach combo as I described in the above post, there is a note indicating that when you do THAT swapout, the ODO is changeable.

As mentioned, I'll do some more research. I'll keep you posted on anything I find out.

Curious: how did you end up with a metric?

Cheers,
Greg

·
Registered
306 Posts
I have the issue as JT, my speedo is in Kilometers and it has stopped working so I need to replace it, but I don't know what all I need?

·
Infidel
6,331 Posts
effle18 said:
I have the issue as JT, my speedo is in Kilometers and it has stopped working so I need to replace it, but I don't know what all I need?
I think you need to visit your dealer. They will need to have the MoCo wind up your extant mileage on the new speedo before shipping it to you.

Or I could be full of sh!t:D

wyo

·
Registered
458 Posts
Hes right . My brother had a speedo go bad with 400 miles on it and they had to wait for one to get shipped with his miles on it.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Thanks for the info guys, but if I want to switch to MPH instead of Kilometers is it just the speedo I need to switch or?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm pretty sure it is sold as one 'unit' by Harley: speedo/odo together.

That's the whole trick I think........

·
Registered
306 Posts
It is, but do I need to replace the part on the front wheel? Is it the sending unit? Or can I get away with just the speedo?

·
Registered
33 Posts
I believe u can just change the head and not the drive unit , It all depends on where u r at as to having to adjust the mileage / kilom record and if u want u may also check aftermarket instead of factory item and save alot of cash in your pocket instead of putting in theirs. Good Luck

1 - 11 of 11 Posts