V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the ultra classic I traded for completely left me stranded. It was having issues running but then died while I was in 4th gear and that was it. I decided to go ahead with a carb swap. I bought the pingel tank conversion, petcock and an ultima single fire programmable ignition kit. I'm going to be running an s&s carb that a neighbor is donating. Question is, do I need to unplug and un-bolt all the sensors and ECM? Will unplugging all that affect my fuel gauge, radio, air temp and all? I've tried reading other threads and educating myself but I'm struggling here.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
After looking at wiring diagrams it looks like the check engine light will become useless but everyrhong else should be good. I pulled the tank getting ready to install the pingel conversion that comes tomorrow. I have already removed the fuel filter and removed part of the steel lines. Im wondering how far down they need to be cut.

·
Registered
427 Posts
I just did this entire swap on my 96 ultra. Put on super g used the pingle block off with petcock kit ultima single fire kit all is well. I removed the ECM and some wires but pretty much left most of the stock stuff on there. The cruise controll is useless, but the M and M efi is finally gone......the check engine light will stay on because the fuel injection is removed....

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yeah I used pingle's tank kit. We drilled the steel lines out from the bottom with progressively larger bits and nerves of steel. lol. bolted the carb and ignition on and she fired up. Surprisingly simple job, if not tedious. I too left the ecm box and everything mounted. maybe next winter I'll un-bolt it and remove the excess wiring. my low fuel light is staying on and fuel gauge not working now. maybe I forgot to hook up a wire.

·
Registered
767 Posts
I did the conversion to mine a while back. Removing the ECM and wiring does clean things up a bit.
Under the dash there is the single wire for the fuel gauge, but you may have knocked it off inside the tank.
Not only did you fix this problem, but you also fixed the rest of the "down the road" problems with obsolete parts and "techs" that do not know the system.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I completed the conversion fairly easily. I will eventually remove the ecm and useless wiring. The check engine light will have to be taken out too. I went with an s&s super E and I love it. I still have to remove the cruise cable also.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Ok i have the desire to do the carburetor conversion on my 2001 ultra classic . Can someone please help me with the parts list i will need for the twin cam engine to be converted to carburetor . Im sick of my bike being a yard ornament while everyone else rides no way to get the throttle position sensor i need to make the junk magneti marelli efi system work as its obsolete i am told too sweet of a bike to set

1 - 7 of 7 Posts