V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do I need to be able to use the detachable sideplates and backrest on a Dyna Convertible and still use the saddlebags?

·
Registered
335 Posts
Not sure what a dyna convertible is, but on my dyna super glide, I have the detacheable bags and rails for the backrest. There's an additional docking hardware kit I had to purchase to have both of these attach at the same time.

Not sure of the part number as the parts guy just ordered what I needed. You basically get four more docking rings, some extra long bolts and two new fender rails attach points.

And don't forget the blue locktite!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Here's a Convertible for ya......
Last year for them to IIRC..... Luv Mine !

98 Dyna Convertible
1340 Evo, Carb... No EFI
Boss Bags Not on, But can be in 10 seconds or less !
:thumbsup:

Budds......................

·
Registered
9 Posts
If i screw up be gentle it is my first time. If you are going to put the detachable sissybar hardware and still be able to use the factory bags there is alot of custom machine work involved. first you have to find out how far out the new sissybar hardware sits off of the strut becuse you have to space out the lower fender mount to compensate for the hardware of the sissy bar, and then you have to take into acount that the top of the bag mount that extends over the top of the strut cannot interfere with the strut. Once you have figured all of that out you have to have all of the parts machined including taking the factory bag mounts off of the strut having the threads milled off and have them drilled and tapped for 3/8 by 16 threads and using long bolts that go from the inside of the fender out not the other way arround. any questions??????

·
Registered
18 Posts
"any questions??????"

Yeah......
Where are the pics of your bike ?
;)
Dont get to see too many Convertibles.... And I like em !

Budds........

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hope to have new pics soon just finished installing 2001 deuce rear rim and tire test riding to get all of the bugs out. have to modify stock bag hardware to work with wider tire.

·
Premium Member
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
160 fxds-conv said:
any questions??????
Nah, that's pretty much what I've found out. I was hoping someone had done it before. Also hoped (beyond hope) that I was wrong.
Thanks,

1 - 7 of 7 Posts