V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Tony Kebhart
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever susccessfully done this? If so was the conversion easy? What all did you have to do?

·
Banned
1,636 Posts
I thought about that too for a long time. Then HD finally came out with a SERT for the older M&M bikes. With a good dyno tune, it solved all my tuning issues.

·
Tony Kebhart
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My problem Isnt tuning....

Its getting a stinking ingnition coil for the MM EFI touring bike...I ordered part over a week and the Stealer cant seem to get it in....and I cant find anyone who make a coil for an MM EFI bike. They are all for carb bikes. Plus the Delphi EFI has other kool stuff that is not offered for the MM...such as Closed loop EFI systems

·
Pimp Daddy
386 Posts
I'm not sure the cost to gain ratio is worth it though. I can say it would be a lot of work, it's not just plug and play with the two systems, the wiring isn't the same and that would not be fun at all.

·
Registered
3,981 Posts
akebhart said:
Its getting a stinking ingnition coil for the MM EFI touring bike...I ordered part over a week and the Stealer cant seem to get it in....and I cant find anyone who make a coil for an MM EFI bike. They are all for carb bikes. Plus the Delphi EFI has other kool stuff that is not offered for the MM...such as Closed loop EFI systems
'scuse me? except for the 06 dynas, no closed loop for delphi unless you go to aftermarket... BTW, Terry unit is for either MM/Delphi and converts to closed loop, seem to be alot of satisfied customers with the unit but I know that doesn't help with your coil:(....
Sorry to hear about the trouble yer having getting simple replacement parts and a little concerned since I have MM also....

I have often wondered what would be involved in the switch also. If I finally get frustrated enough with my MM/EFI, I'll just switch to carb. The switch to carb is a pretty straight forward and inexpensive conversion. Info and parts list have been posted a few times here....

Good luck, let us know how this shakes out!

·
Registered
90 Posts
adlerx said:
.......I have often wondered what would be involved in the switch also. If I finally get frustrated enough with my MM/EFI, I'll just switch to carb. The switch to carb is a pretty straight forward and inexpensive conversion. Info and parts list have been posted a few times here....

Good luck, let us know how this shakes out!
Don't give up on your MM bike. I have one that I've been nursing to respectability with the help of a good friend. I'm awfully close and my buddy just called me to tell me that John Golden had just dialed a MM bike in with one of his kits very similar to mine and got 101 hp/117fpt.

Not bad for a 95 incher, I'm told it purrs like a kitten, smooth as silk......

·
Registered
450 Posts
Suggestion: IF you are considering moving over to Delphi I have a dealer take off stock throttle body frorm my 06 Street Glide for sale. It's as new as new can be and shouold bolt right up since the sensors--IAT, and TPS are on it along with the injectors and builtin manifold with "O" ring gaskets.

You could just use one of the 06 maps and you should be good to go.

I want $150 plus shipping.

·
Tony Kebhart
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I havent decided for sure if im going to abandon the MM yet.....but am looking into it for possible improvements...Definately want to stick with fuel injection though

·
Premium Member
11,928 Posts
call tony at zippers, he will hook you right up. be sure to say i sent you and we both get points!!

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
Hot Bike tech article on MM to EFI

Hi Guys,

Hot Bike magazine (May? volume 38, #6, 2006) has a tech article on why to convert and how.

They feature Zipper's conversion kit. Real good read even though my '06 Heritage isn't involved.

Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
I've got a 99' with MM EFI. Been going back and forth on whether or not to change to a carb.

Ended up ordering the Zippers MM to Delphi style conversion that was mentioned in an earlier reply. It was in a magazine article.

I received the kit in the mail yesterday and will probably start the install tomorrow. Looks fairly easy.

I will let you all know if it cures my MM "blues".

Pete, at Zippers, was very helpful. I've got the preloaded map for a SE 95" big bore, 203 cams, the Zippers air filter, and Rinehart true duals.

My setup is exact, except I'm running Bassani true duals with their Megaphones.....hope the map gets me close. The software for adjusting the A/F raatio looks pretty simple, so hopefully if it needs dyno'ed a local guy can do it.

If not, I'm close enough to Myrtle Beach to have Zipper's fine tune it at bike week next month.

·
Solamente inglés hablado
562 Posts
eruption said:
I've got a 99' with MM EFI. Been going back and forth on whether or not to change to a carb.

Ended up ordering the Zippers MM to Delphi style conversion that was mentioned in an earlier reply. It was in a magazine article.

I received the kit in the mail yesterday and will probably start the install tomorrow. Looks fairly easy.

I will let you all know if it cures my MM "blues".

Pete, at Zippers, was very helpful. I've got the preloaded map for a SE 95" big bore, 203 cams, the Zippers air filter, and Rinehart true duals.

My setup is exact, except I'm running Bassani true duals with their Megaphones.....hope the map gets me close. The software for adjusting the A/F raatio looks pretty simple, so hopefully if it needs dyno'ed a local guy can do it.

If not, I'm close enough to Myrtle Beach to have Zipper's fine tune it at bike week next month.
How did it go?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts