V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Keep the rubber side down
1,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,
Looking for some opinions here. I am contemplating a move to the Phoenix area. Is that a good thing or a bad thing? I'm looking forward to riding my Heritage and off-road bikes more often than here in Wsahington State. Now I know it's hot down there, but will the move be worth it? I have to dry these old bones out, ya know. How will the Harley's perform in the extreme hot environment?
Thanks,
Mark

·
Registered
335 Posts
I'm from Tucson so Phoenix is about 100 miles from me. It's a bit hotter up there on certain days. I love it here. Year round riding, great roads, open spaces.

But Phoenix is a BIG city. That's why I chose Tucson. As far as running Harleys, plenty of Harleys here. They run fine. Even in the summer. I run synth in mine and some guys have oil coolers.

Sure, it's hot in the summer but I ride to work every day. It was 85 degrees today. Ahhhhh. The fall winter and spring are great. I ride in the summer too but you get used to it.

"Come on, boys! The way you're lollygaggin' around here with them picks and them shovels, you'd think it was a hundert an' twenty degree. Can't be more than a hundert an' fourteen." :)

·
Premium Member
153 Posts
I live in Tempe and don't have any performance issues with mine. Never had any overheating problems and I do not have an oil cooler.

Riding is great down here...most of the time...I just dug out my full leather jacket for the first time since early may. July and August are pretty rough, the sun beats down hard and it get miserable when you're not moving. Riding during the day in the winter hours is still nice, you'll need gloves and maybe even chaps if you ride a lot at night. Also, you never have to plan for rain...if it does rain, it lasts for 10 minutes and is sunny again a few minutes later.

the only complaint I have, is if you live in the city, you have to ride a bit to get to the fun roads. All of phoenix and the surrounding suburbs are built in a grid, there are very few turns and things are pretty flat. North, East, and West of phoenix can be much more fun.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Ditto what AZRider said. I don't know what part of WA state you are from. If you've driven in Seattle multiply Phoenix by 2 and that's what trying to get around in that town. Moved to Tucson from Oregon about a year ago. Love it. A little cooler and a whole lot less traffic. Went to Phoenix this morning, 100 miles. Took me 2 and a half hours. I will take Tucson traffic any day. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
70 Posts
I recently moved to the Phoenix area (Northwest Valley) from NY State. I'm really impressed with the riding weather offered here. Some of the thoughts I have are: best riding season is fall (60s evenings, 80s daytime) minimal bugs; winter and spring still very good some days with 30s in the morning during winter but warms up fast; spring very good but lots of bugs from the winter rains; ride mornings in summer and retreat to A/C by noon; find a mesh jacket with armor to replace leather in summer; head for the mountains in the summer but head South into the desert during winter rides; don't try to get a good deal on a new Harley here...too much demand...dealers are greedy; lots of custom bike shops; lots of good back roads outside of populated areas to ride; carry water and be aware you can get into remote unpopulated areas with no cell reception very easily; it's awful hot sitting on a Harley in traffic when it's 110! Housing costs have escalated significantly the last few years. Good luck!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Thanks for the info. As it happens, you live in the town that we are considering moving to. Any info as a local regarding good vs. bad areas for housing, schools, etc? I can find only so much on the internet. Locals are always the best source of information. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
183 Posts
I lived in Phoenix and the surrounding area between 1960 and 1970, and rode bikes almost all the time. Spring and fall were ideal, winter was OK, but summers were a pistol for sure. Riding at 60 mph when the temp is 117 degrees and there is a 35 knot wind out the southwest will make a believer out of you. My skin would feel as if I had a thousand ants crawling on me.
I also learned very quickly to put a significantly sized metal plate under the kickstand on blacktop, or else you would come back and find your bike either with the kickstand buried several inches or the bike on its side.

Honestly, I would just as soon live here in the midwest. Summers are nicer, and spring and fall are just wonderful, with leather coat, gloves and chaps.

·
Premium Member
70 Posts
I assume you are referring to Surprise? I'm really not to be considered a knowledgable 'local' yet; haven't been here long enough. I live in a retirement community with no kids around, so have no information on schools at all. What I can say is home building is considerable and constant. We are one of the more rapidly growing communities in the Phoenix area. The whole N'West Valley is gaining population like crazy. Traffic is a real problem and getting worse with no good solution readily apparent. I'm not really familiar with different areas within Surprise as far as best to live, etc. Guess this is getting off base on the subject...e-mail me with specific questions and I'll see if I can help.

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
I'm not too familiar with Surprise, it's too far away from me! :roflback: I live right in Tempe, which overall is one of the better locations, as it's more or less centralized. If you live in Surprise, you don't want to have a job in the east valley (and vice versa!) I made that mistake a few weeks ago, took a job that was on 75th ave and Buckeye. It's only about 21-25 miles, but even when I'd ride the bike and take the HOV lane, I was looking at at least 35 minutes getting to work, 45-50 getting home. As commuting is a large reason I left San Diego (that and my ex-wife!), I decided not to stay at that job (start a new one on Monday already). rrockefe is right, housing is exploding by the day, but that's not just the west valley area. While Phoenix is the 5th largest city in the states, Mesa (east valley) is something like the 19th largest city in the country. I think overall, Awhatukee (southeast) has the best school district though. I know families that are living in apartments there rather than buying a house further out to keep their kids in the Ahwatukee school district!

I'll tell you what, I've ridden down to Tucson a few times now (my wife has a few clients down in Tucson, so I'll join her when she goes if I can), and I think the traffic is worse than Phoenix! Less major roads/Interstates, and quite a few people trying to get to/from work! At least getting out of town is faster since it's smaller (for now, Tucson is growing at an exponential rate too!)

dfrooney hit it right on the head with the riding out here! Haven't had an overheating issue with either my carbed lowrider, or my EFI EG Standard! dfrooney, if you're looking for a riding buddy, let me know! :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts