V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
ORIGINAL DOOF BABE
3,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
We have road construction happening here to widen the single highway going to and from the island. Throughout this lengthy construction, the construction company has left large dropoffs between lanes and at the end of resurfacing areas, along with potholes, rough spots, gravel/dirt, etc.

There's ONE sign posted now that says "Uneven Pavement" (there weren't ANY for quite sometime) and I'm absolutely amazed that no one has gone down. Some of the differences in the lane heights have to be 2-3", and practically impossible to see - easily capable of taking down a rider.

The construction company is the same one who left a friggin' 4" lip in the road last year that my husband and I hit head on - it was like running into a four-inch curb at 60 mph and NO warning signs. He did $6000 worth of damage to his Bourget (hit so hard it peeled his $1200 front rim back like a banana) and I smashed up my front fender (we ended up getting the company to pay for repairs after a long drawn-out process).

In Savannah, GA about 45 min away, I noticed that whenever there's construction that could be hazardous to motorcycles, they have signs posted specifically to alert bikers of potential hazards and everything is well-marked (the signs actually say "Motorcyles use caution"). Over here in SC, NOTHING - unless you call and complain, and then they'll put a generic sign up.

I'm wondering how other places handle warning bikers of construction hazards - or if they do at all.

Comments?

·
Infidel
6,331 Posts
Lady Godiva said:
I'm wondering how other places handle warning bikers of construction hazards - or if they do at all.

Comments?

I've never seen warnings for motorcyclists in Virginia.

I agree it would definitely be a good idea. :yes:

·
0043--Licensed to Doof!
4,369 Posts
There should be signs 24/7/365 in New Jersey. When I lived out west in Washington and Oregon, there were signs about for scooters to be on the lookout for different things.

·
Registered
142 Posts
wyodude said:
I've never seen warnings for motorcyclists in Virginia.

I agree it would definitely be a good idea. :yes:

bridge construction on I-77 southbound side south of the last tunnel "motorcycles use extreme caution"

·
ORIGINAL DOOF BABE
3,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Geezer-Glide said:
There should be signs 24/7/365 in New Jersey. When I lived out west in Washington and Oregon, there were signs about for scooters to be on the lookout for different things.
I guess it's one of those things that you don't think about if you don't ride.

You can go through most construction in a car without thinking about it too much, but in some cases if you were on a bike you'd really have to be paying attention. I wonder if they'd post motorcycle hazard signs if you called and asked??

I also think there should be signs warning bikers to watch out for STOOPID drivers, but that'll be another thread... :gun: LOL

·
Premium Member
459 Posts
What really ticks me off is all the trash on some highways. Especially tire treads. I-95 ins SC use to be terrible. As far as warnings to bikers I've never seen any in Florida.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Minnesota is covered with warning signs for snowmobilers.
I've never seen one for motorcycles. Only that they are
allowed in the carpool lanes in Murderapolis/St. Paul.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Lady Godiva said:

Comments?
No never saw one
Back in 98 Town was filling road cracks
almost got killed slide on one of them
total the bike, helmet and leather trashed
Ahhhh, noone cares Dear, be careful out there

·
Premium Member
4,701 Posts
I personaly have never seen warnings for motorcycles, just traffic in general.

The parents of a good friend went down many years ago after hitting some uneven lanes and both still have some physical issues.

We also hit one of those "curb" things on the interstate one night. No warning what-so-ever and we were on it before we knew it was there. Luckily for us we were in the truck. No damage but it sure jarred the sh!t out of everything.

There should be a warning for this stuff if there's construction, everytime. If not then the const. comp. is at fault and should be held accountable IMO.

I guess all we can do is ride with extreme caution through const. sites, regardless of sign or not.

·
Registered
286 Posts
jnbernstein said:
bridge construction on I-77 southbound side south of the last tunnel "motorcycles use extreme caution"
Yea, last summer when I was riding from Ohio to Charleston, SC I was glad they had those signs up. Those groves in the bridge surface would have been a bad ride had I not been warned. :yes: :yes:

·
Premium Member
262 Posts
WA has signs at every construction sight for motorcycles to use Extreme Caution. They seem to put them up whether there is anything of concern or not. I suspect there was a lawsuit so now the signs are standard at any roadwork site. Oregon seems to do nothing.
The best I saw in WA was a Motorcycles Not Recommended sign on a one-lane bridge entry where there was no way of heading back other than against traffic. They'd put down several yards of smooth steel plates, raised about 1 inch above the roadbed, it was raining and the wind was blowing. Sucked but we made it over.

Sam

·
I haven't seen your bird.
8,499 Posts
The only warning sign I've ever seen in Wisconsin was an "uneven pavement" warning posted when they were resurfacing the Beltline in Madison last summer. Looks like whoever's making traffic warning signs in most places don't ride.

·
Premium Member
255 Posts
A couple years ago I saw a sign that said, "CAUTION MOTORCYCLES-
groved pavement ahead". Not sure, but I think it was in Colorado.

·
Premium Member
3,694 Posts
Some states are definitely more biker friendly than others. Sometimes their lack of concern is intentional and sometimes it's unintentional, maybe from lack of knowledge.

It can't hurt to bring your concerns to the attention of the State. Good Luck!

·
Registered
428 Posts
Resurfacing some of the interstate here in St Louis. They've had signs up warning motorcyclists of uneven pavement.

·
Premium Member
1,159 Posts
The first time the construction company gets sued, they'll start putting up signs. You should have taken them to small claims court for the damage.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts