V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got done reading this months issue of Cruiser magazine. In one of the articles they are testing all the new big inch cruisers for 2002.They had two Harleys a Duece and a Superglide Sport.They pretty much said the Sport was a vibrating pile of crap,and had nothing but good things to say about the Duece. Maybe I'm wrong but I was under the assumption that Dynas handle and ride better than any Softail. As far as vibration goes I don't think my Superglide vibrates a lot. I haven't had any experience with Softails so maybe I'm just biased. Can anyone give me their opinion of the Dyna and Softail? Thanks!!!

·
Registered
171 Posts
I don't know about anyone else but my rubber motormounts seem to be working just fine....thank you very much! I am actually surprised at the lack of vibration with my FXD. (a little bit wouldn't hurt:) ) So far I've been very pleased with the bike. When I need a little vibration to stir the soul, I'll take the Sporty out for a spin!!!! Gotta love it!
Sheepboy

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Some of these magazine guys have a japanese bike background to put it mildly.
If you want to look at it from a totally neutral point of view, just comparing one piece of metal to another, the only ones that offer an opinion that makes some sense is Cycle World, but all magazines are heavily influenced by advertising money.

The one thing that comes to mind comparing the bikes, is that while the Dyna's and all rubbermounts do shake a lot at idle, they are smooth as glass at 90 mph. The balanced softails on the other hand are very smooth at idle, but when you start to push them, they do have some vibration to them.

It all comes down to what you are used to ride. To give you an example I'm convinced a RoadGlide will outhandle a Dyna Sport and in a way I'm right, because I will be faster on the RoadGlide. That doesn't mean it will hold true for the next guy.
Speed and handling is all about confidence and it is human nature to trust bikes you had a long relationship with more then one you just got acquainted with. It takes even professional racers half a season to just get used to the feel of for example a different brand of tire.

·
Traveling Man
1,272 Posts
Bub, like Hippo says....a lot has to do with what you are used to. Also, a person's size is an important part as to how a "stock" bike fits you. None fit me perfect.

There is an article in March 2001 American Iron magazine titled "Fantasy Ride 2001 that tested five Harleys swapping out five riders over four days. The bikes were FLHTCUI, FLSTCI, FXDX, FXSTDI, AND XLH. The Deuce and the Dyna Sport were the favorite picks. Where the Dyna wasn't the favorite the Deuce was and vise versa. Maybe I can get away with including a few brief comments from the article comparing the two bikes to show how different people and different magazines can chop up or praise a bike.

rider :Buzz Kanter

FXDX......The Dyna Sport was the hotrod of the bunch......This bike is my favorite for all around riding.

Deuce...... The duece was the looker !.....(he goes on to describe the custom look).

rider: Bob Kay

FXDX.......The Dyna was the fun bike of the ride.....it's agile, nimble, good ground clearance, nice power and good brakes. (he did mention a vibration between 2200 and 3000 in fourth gear that would appear).

Deuce....The Deuce was the biggest disapointment of the ride to me.....(He goes on to say that it was mostly because of the uncomfortable ergonomics to him which were a compromise for styling).

rider: Chris Maida

FXDX.......Man, was this bike fun!....no one could catch me when I didn't want them to......I've got nothing bad to say about this one......It was my favorite machine of the trip.

Deuce.......Though the Dyna was my favorite, the Deuce was a close second. This machine fit me like a glove.... I really have nothing bad to say about the Deuce.

rider: Mark Zimmerman

FXDX......big torque, superb handling, great brakes, and a comfortable cockpit.....the sportster was fun but not nearly so much fun as this black beauty....It's truly a do-it-all-and -have-fun-doing-it-motorcycle.......If you could only have one motorcycle the FXDX would be a wise choice.

Duece...because I finished a lenghthy test on the Deuce I didn't ride it this trip.....I currently consider it to be the best cruiser on the market.

rider: Steve Hanauer

FXDX......This is a no frills, performance-oriented motorcycle. Handling was exhilarating and braking was sufficient to tame the ever-present desire to press this bike to the limits.. (he didn't like the side key switch, the brake pedal being high, wanted more stepped up seat to keep from sliding backwards, the seat felt high, etc.)

Deuce.....This new model was, without question, my favorite.......(he said he felt like the ergonomics were custom taylored just for him, he loved the forward control position). The fuel -injected power was exhilarating and the bike handled well at all speeds.

The review sounds good on these two bikes but they got down and chopped up some things about some of the other ones. I like this article and although it's aging fast, I would recommend someone getting a back issue if they are looking for a first Harley to get an idea what some of the good and bad opinions are to help with the decision. (Also a plug for American Iron magazine).

Later,
FifthGear

·
Traveling Man
1,272 Posts
bub said:
Thanks FifthGear for the help!:D
Bub, you are truly welcome.

My point is this;

I am not going to let a bike magazine rider tell me what bike is the best for me. I do think that there is alot of value in what they say but sometimes you have to read between the lines to get down to the true important details of the right bike for you. Keep in mind that they are testing new "stock" bikes. Most stock bikes are built with a compromise and for different sized riders. Sometimes the compromise is such that it's not comfortable or ideal for a large rider or a small one. I find that for a perfect fit I have to make changes in a lot of areas for that long haul comfort.

Let's just imagine what Bob Kay in the article would have thought about the Deuce if it had been custom fit to his liking. Maybe with the new 1 1/2" more pullback Deuce bars now available he would have raved on how great the bike was! And how about Steve Hanauer? If he would have had some other seat and higher bars he may have liked the feel better than the Deuce that fit him like a glove. So, reading in between the lines is often neccessary and putting it together and deciding what could be just right to you is part of it. Opinions are opinions and we all have different tastes and likings. Hope this helps you to realize that the articles do have value but not neccessarily the making or breaking of a particular model.

Later,

1 - 6 of 6 Posts