V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just put on wild pig slip ons. (great sound w/popping) need Stage 1. but do i stick with what the dealer does to the ECM or leave it alone and go with a PC? HELP,I have read most of the post on this subject i'm going nuts reading.:confused:

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Seem to recall yours is a MM bike. The logical thing would be to go with the stage reflash and if you still have a problem then you can use a PC or DFO to fine tune it.

Don't expect it to cure the popping from the exhaust.

·
Registered
86 Posts
What is a PC or DFO?? If PC is personal computer, than how can I use it to fine tune my bike? What is needed. Would I possibly be able to make some adjustment on the fuel injected bike, idle changes, fuel ratios, ect? Dealer charged me 150 bucks for flash on stage1, says another 150 to lower idle. Makes me wonder how long before I should check into some elctronic goodies..

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
PC in this context is a Power Commander

DFO is a Digital Fuel Optimizer

The way you word the idle part I suspect you may have a Delphi bike, on these the way to go is the EFI tuner from HD. With the tuner and a PC (personal computer, LOL) you can change anything you want and no longer need the dealers. It only works with Delphi bikes.

·
Registered
86 Posts
The bike is 2003, wondering about DELPHI now? Am I assumeing correctly that is who makes the injection system? Also, HD EFI RACE TUNER, will it allow you to flash like dealer, meaning it could be used on other bikes? Or is it like the pc, that has to stay with bike?
Thanks hippo!

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Yes, it's a Delphi bike.
The nice thing of the tuner is that nothing stays on the bike. You can reflash just like a dealer, modify the flashes if you wish and it has all of the HD stage flashes on the software so if you modify the bike in different configurations over time you can change from one to the other.
It also has a diagnostics mode built in.
While you can use all the data collected on as many bikes as you wish, the cable that connects to the bike has a interface module that marries itself to a particular ECM (or bike if you wish) the first time you hook it up.
This means you have to buy one tuner for every bike, but all the tuning work you have invested can be transfered from one bike to another.
Just HD's way of milking you, but in the end even the $500.00 cost is irrelevant compared to the value of the tuning data you develop.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I heard from the HD service that harley will be coming out with a 99-01 EFI tuner this winter. It would be great to be able to pull off the Power Commander and tune everything through the bikes ECM. i had to do a Stage III reflash on the ECM of my '99 RK to get rid of some cold running problems and have the PC II set to operate stuff when it warms up.

·
Registered
135 Posts
There is a SE race tuner out now.

Fits '01-later EFI Softail models and '02-later EFI Touring models.

32107-01

MSRP $459.95

Power Commander is around $199

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
I was told a power commander on my 2002 Road King would void my warranty...is this true?
It certainly gives them an excuse to try. They have to prove the PC is what caused the problem. Sometimes it does.

The real issue is of a different nature.
In order to diagnose the bike the PC has to be removed. Once you remove it the bike is in a different configuration then when it had the problem.
Since the PC is not a HD product, the overwhelming majority of dealer techs have very little knowledge of the PC, and will run instead of walk away from it.
If your dealer is a Dynojet tuning center the problem goes away.

·
Still Serving...U.S. Army
160 Posts
TL44 said:
I was told a power commander on my 2002 Road King would void my warranty...is this true?
HIPPO said:

It certainly gives them an excuse to try. They have to prove the PC is what caused the problem. Sometimes it does.
As far as voiding the warranty, I had my dealer install the PCIII. They charged me $50 bucks and D/L the correct map for my setup. Yes I could have done it myself (I've already adjusted a few settings) but getting it down on paper that HD installed it was a cheap insurance policy. Not all dealers are willing to do this I'm sure, but McKinney HD in Lawton OK has a GREAT service dept. I know of people who drive over 100 miles to have them service their scoots.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts