V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The weather here in Ohio has been up and down all winter. For the first time, I noticed that all the bikes in my garage had condensation on the engine, oil tank, primary, and transmission. It was in the 30's the day before and last night it was 48 F with 88% humidity and the dew point was 45 F.

The bikes are obviously in an unheated garage and have plywood underneath them. It is supposed to be 50 F on Friday. Would you suggest I start the bikes up and ride them on Friday to burn off any condensation that may have been left behind after I wiped them down or any condensation that may have built up within the engine? When I went out to the garage this morning (temperature was in the 30s), there was no condensation and the chrome looked good.

All input is appreciated.

G

·
If you're going to ride them, make sure you ride them far enough to get them up to full operating temp. That's at LEAST 20 minutes, more is better. Otherwise all your doing is circulating the condensation, not eliminating it. The long term results of that are far worse than just leaving it be. If you don't have time to do that and you're worryed about the external condensation, and if you get a dry sunny day, with temps up a little bit, just push them out into the sun for a few hours.

Harris

·
Ironbutt
7,412 Posts
I've got two words - Harley Bubble.

·
TL
500 Posts
I used to have a condensation issue occasionally - when bringing in two soaking wet cars and closing the garage, etc. I bought a small container of Damp Rid at Depot and keep that on the floor about 3 feet from the bike. This has eliminated the dampness on the bike issue. I have read that there are some chemicals in that type of stuff that may cause pitting or damage to the chrome but I use small quantity and keep it away from the bike and watch it closely and so far no problems.

TL

·
Banned
5,329 Posts
I dont know the structure of your garage, but if it is TIGHT or can be made that way, do it. Go to the junk sto and get a dehumidifier. The temp isnt an issue. Humidity is the issue.

·
You're an evildoer.
559 Posts
How's that bubble thing stop moisture? I know its a bubble, and circulates air, but is it really going to protect a bike from condesnation

·
Average Dude
6,263 Posts
Hasn't your bike ever been in the rain? I would think rain would be more harmful than condensation.

·
Premium Member
1,744 Posts
anytime u have a quick temp from cold to warm u will get condensation. Your bike is like an ice cold beer on hot muggy summers day. The cold beer will cool the air around it and squeese the water out of the air . Condensation will form and glisten as it runs down the bottle. I can almost feel the bottle and taste the .....................

Damn I need a beer I'm:xhere: :cheers:

·
You're an evildoer.
559 Posts
And the fan costs alot less.

Still, chemicals are nasty to have around. I looked all over my garage and found two more caustic things and removed them. Im more worried about the water heater ever rusting out again from the outside in then my bikes since I can ride all year round.

·
Ironbutt
7,412 Posts
tibs said:
How's that bubble thing stop moisture? I know its a bubble, and circulates air, but is it really going to protect a bike from condesnation
The circulating air is what prevents the condensation. Yes you could just put a big fan in front of the bike and get the same results but the bubble just does the job much more efficiently and uses less energy.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the responses... I ended up putting a fan in my garage in front of my bike this morning (it is supposed to go from 25 F to 48 F and rainy today). I will ride tomorrow weather permitting. Does the air from the fan need to be directly on the bike in order to keep condensation off or will just a little bit of circulation make a difference (I have several bikes in the garage)?

I need to get a Harley bubble but it seems like something always comes first (like the set of Thunderheaders I bought for Christmas)... I know that doesn't make sense (spend $20K+ for a bike and not spend $300 to protect it) but that is the way it is. What makes it hard is my girlfriend has a bike too and I definitly don't want to spend $600 on two bubbles. She doesn't worry about things like that.

As to the person that stated you can't get condensation in the engine, it seems like it is a possibility based on other things I have read. Don't they tell you to fill up your gas tank as full as possible so condensation doesn't gather in your gas tank?

Again, thanks for your responses.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Live in north Florida my house use to have a carport but has been converted to a garage and is not sealed to be able to keep moisture out. Have a major problem with moisture getting on the bike at night almost year round. Tried a cover but found it just helped keep the moisture in as another poster said, Was wondering from those who that have the bubble or similar how hard is it to set up for year round use as far as going for a ride then putting it back in the bubble . Would it be as simple ride the bike up on it, let the bike cool, then just put the clear plastic cover on and turn it on. Do you think it would last using it this way .

·
Premium Member
202 Posts
I think with a little planning, you could setup the bubble so that you could protect the bike after cooling in less than 5 minutes. About the same time to uncover it for the first ride of the day. I see no reason why covering and uncovering will cause the bubble any harm with a reasonable amount of care being used

·
Ironbutt
7,412 Posts
roadrunnerldw1 said:
Live in north Florida my house use to have a carport but has been converted to a garage and is not sealed to be able to keep moisture out. Have a major problem with moisture getting on the bike at night almost year round. Tried a cover but found it just helped keep the moisture in as another poster said, Was wondering from those who that have the bubble or similar how hard is it to set up for year round use as far as going for a ride then putting it back in the bubble . Would it be as simple ride the bike up on it, let the bike cool, then just put the clear plastic cover on and turn it on. Do you think it would last using it this way .
The bubble can easily be used year round. You just ride your bike onto the base, zip it up and turn on the fan. You will have to let the pipes cool before you zip it up, but it only takes a couple of minutues to zip. The thing is pretty sturdy and i'm sure it will last many years with a little care - even using it daily. Some people talk sh*t about the bubble but it does work.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts