V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Don't know if this has been covered yet .....but.....'03 Ultra and the condensation inside my fuel gauge is so bad at times, it can't be read. Just warming the bike up for two minutes in my garage and it starts fogging up. The other day after being cold and then warming up in the daytime, the sonamabiyatch starting fogging while I was riding it. Now I've noticed there are old watermarks on the inside off all my gauges. I wrote the FoMoCo a letter and they stated" If the condensation dries while riding, there is nothing wrong"....WTF???????.........I've never had a gauge fog up on any other bike I've owned and that's a fact and we are talking 40 years now.....5 different kinds of bikes......Anyone else having similar problems with their HARLEYS????

·
Registered
934 Posts
My gas gauge was so fogged up this morning it took more than 2 1/2 hours for it to dry out. I washed the bike yesterday so I'm sure that had alot to do with it. Usually it clears up after about a half hour of riding, that's after just letting it sit, no washing. It's extremely annoying and you would think the MoCo would do something about it.

By the way, my Deuce used to do the same thing with the feul guage. I thought having the guage on the fairing would correct the problem. I think it is worse on the EG than on the Deuce.

darrell

·
Registered
50 Posts
My Sportster was fogging and there was a haze of crap after it dried. I called HD they told me that it is normal to fog. I told them that when the sun hits the gauges I can not see through the film left behind. They called the dealer and 6 weeks later I have a new tach. & speedo installed, the only thing is that could not bump up the miles as they trouble making a harness to do it, I just took the bike as is (nice weekend) and will have them do it another time.

·
Banned
1,636 Posts
You have fogging gauges.
Welcome to owning a Harley-Davidson!

It could be worse. I read a post somewhere from a fellow that found a dead bug inside one of his gauges. He can't figure out how it got into a "sealed" unit, but it did. And it died. And he can't figure out how to get it out. Even worse, it vibrates around the bottom of the gauge when riding. Then another person posted that they too had a dead bug in a gauge. It was there when he sold the bike.

I wonder of that's considered an "add on".

LOL!

·
0043--Licensed to Doof!
4,369 Posts
Read somewhere that if you take the outter fairing off, and drill (CAREFULLY!!!!!) a 1/16" hole in the BOTTOM of the gauge, it will allow the condensation to disperse. I've yet to do it to my 2003 EGC, mainly because I'm too lazy!! :whistle: But... next time I take the outter skin off, that's #1 on my hit parade of "things I need to do to my scooter" :blink:

·
TL
500 Posts
Faulty Gauges - Can't Be

After my fuel gauge finally dried it, I found out that it doesn't work. Neither does the low fuel indicator light.

The best fuel gauge on a Harley is the trip meter.

TL

·
RAMOD
458 Posts
It's a shame that we simply have to live "with it", WTF is this friggin crap! Nobody at MoCo cares about it and we have no alternative if we want to ride one. Some simply chalk crap like this up to the "unique qwirks" of HD- it is firggin ridiculous and is a problem due to laziness, cost considerations, lack of pride in their own product and basic apothy on the MoCo's part. I'd say we need to start a petition of something, but even the representation on this board is an insignificant drop in the bucket as it relates to MoCo.

Has anyone changed out to the spun aluminium face gages (or any SE owners that got them stock) have the same issue? Like the look of them, but if they do the same shate, total waste of money.

Sorry, rant off...... I love both of my bikes, but the gage fogging thing is a huge pet-peeve of mine.

Allen

·
Ridin' & Glidin'
2,116 Posts
Sheet --- go to Radio Shack and buy a bunch of them little white bags that say "Do not eat this Packet" on them and stuff a handful of them around the gauge and they will suck the moisture out of spit. :D

P.S. You can also get them bags in the bottom a big sack of Beef Jerky if there aint no Radio Shacks around.

·
Premium Member
507 Posts
2415 miles got the bike FLHTCI in Aug and noticed couple wks ago that the fuel gage is starting to for up in mornings but only in one spot about half mark and only has a small spot on it but it clears up after riding it. So far its only the fuel gage.

·
Infidel
6,331 Posts
Krayven Sumhead said:
Don't know if this has been covered yet .....

^rolleyez^ ^rolleyez^ ^rolleyez^

Only about a million times.

Someone needs to devise a way to inject an inert gas into the gas housings and then seal them. Kind of like rifle scopes.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
wyodude said:

Someone needs to devise a way to inject an inert gas into the gas housings and then seal them. Kind of like rifle scopes.
as expensive as these bikes are this will only add to the cost.my gauges have been fogging up and drying out for over 20 years.i got use to it.when they say "they all do that "they are right.

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
wyodude said:

Gee Whiz.....Like I said befoe.....none of my other bikes (in forty years) had the guages fog......none...(and they weren't filled with inert gas)...you'd think the MOCO would figure this out...

·
Banned
1,636 Posts
Jams said:
Sheet --- go to Radio Shack and buy a bunch of them little white bags that say "Do not eat this Packet" on them and stuff a handful of them around the gauge and they will suck the moisture out of spit. :D

P.S. You can also get them bags in the bottom a big sack of Beef Jerky if there aint no Radio Shacks around.
Not to be a smart ass,

But have you done that to your bike? Does it work? Did you just Duct Tape them to the back of the gauge, or drill a small hole and tape the bag to it so the moisture can get drawn out?

It's okay if you're yankin' my chain with this, 'cause I've heard a lot more strange ways to "fix things".

If it works, I'll try it.

·
Ridin' & Glidin'
2,116 Posts
Nope, I was being a smart ass but it does work. I put a couple of packets behind an 8" piece of glass on a mercaptan injector gauge that would always fog up and it is working so the concept is sound. :)

Maybe a little clear silicone around the edges will work.

·
RAMOD
458 Posts
rmc_ss said:
Has anyone changed out to the spun aluminium face gages (or any SE owners that got them stock) have the same issue?
Yea, it's gay quoting myself, but still wondering about these other gages....
Anyone?

Thanks,

Allen

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Not 'gay, but 'ghey'

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmc_ss
Has anyone changed out to the spun aluminium face gages (or any SE owners that got them stock) have the same issue?

Yea, it's gay quoting myself, but still wondering about these other gages....
Anyone?

Thanks,

Allen

Wait through a couple of washings and hard driving rains before deciding if you want to spend that much ching on asthetics. I would be REALLY dissapointed if the new ones fog up too......Krayven

·
Premium Member
337 Posts
...For the people with the tank mounted gas gauges, I guess we could buy the LED gauge in the catalog. There would be nothing to fog over or get cloudy.

All my gauges on the RK fog up or get actual water drops on the inside after it's been sitting in the rain or just got washed. I hate the water that gets in the turn-signal indicator place...

·
Knower of Stuff
1,978 Posts
I guess I must be one of the lucky ones. I have a "93 Heritage and a "99 EG and have never had any water in a guage, despite living and riding in Oregon for 12 years and riding through many a frog strangler while out on the road.
Sounds like a vent hole in the borrom rear of the EG gauges may be required for some of you guys.
Sorry I could not be of more help.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts