V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a wonderful Quincy, 20 gal., 2 hp compressor that has developed a pin hole in the bottom of the tank where the end cap is welded to the straight part of the tank. Is there a way to fix this pinhole safely? I am not a very good welder. The compressor is approx. 35 years old.

·
Super Moderator
20,293 Posts
Ya, new tank.

I would prolly drill it and then weld a little piece of steel rod into the hole if there was enough metal showing in the hole. And then start looking for an upgrade while using it with care. Care being a long hose.

·
Premium Member
1,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, if I tried that, I would probably make a bigger hole. New 20 gal. tanks are half the cost of a new compressor and then the shipping brings it right up to new price. I have been looking for a used replacement but was hoping there could be a good fix for this old one. Yes, long hose is a good idea.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
I "knew" a guy whose old rusty tank blew up and killed him... I don't mess with rusty air tanks anymore...

·
Premium Member
1,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, I sold my old compressor and bought a new Dewalt 20 gal, 2 cylinder, 6.3 cfm @ 90 lbs.,200 lb max pressure ( it actually pumps up to 195 and kicks back in at 155). Probably last me the rest of my life.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts