V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this has been beat to death but i have to ask? I just bought a flhtc with 95" 204 cams, SE heads(not HTCC) and High compression pistons. I'm wondering if I need compression releases? Seems to start hard when the motor is warm, so I'm wondering if when the weather gets hot if it will get worse.

Thanks

AJ

·
43 Fuel Curves
819 Posts
Sorry Megaglide, but you have to look at the CCP.
With that CAM, on a high barometric pressure day (30.50) , and at sea level, even with the forged HC pistons you would be over 200 psia. Compression releases are recommended for starting with over 190 psia CCP.

Use 91+ octane gas to prevent pinging on hot days and your tune will also need to keep your AFR and 13.6 or richer.

·
XLIII
10,078 Posts
genoway said:
Sorry Megaglide, but you have to look at the CCP.
With that CAM, on a high barometric pressure day (30.50) , and at sea level, even with the forged HC pistons you would be over 200 psia. Compression releases are recommended for starting with over 190 psia CCP.

Use 91+ octane gas to prevent pinging on hot days and your tune will also need to keep your AFR and 13.6 or richer.
Uh, OK. Sorry I told him to get them for the wrong reason, then, I guess...:huh:

·
Registered
62 Posts
I have those cams and pistons in my FXDL and shaved the stock heads .020 with that combo ccp is 220 and H*LL YES it needs comp releases!!! I did not put them in when I did this and I have kicked myself in the butt several times. only saving grace is I have a spike starter next time the heads are off it WILL get them:duh?: :duh?: :duh?:

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the help!! Now the next question, are all the release basicly the same or or some better then others. Was just looking at Jireh and see they have the for around $15 each. A seller on ebay has a pair for 29.50. Will i screw myself if i go for the cheap version?

AJ

·
Average Dude
6,263 Posts
25 cents a piece cheaper??? You call them the cheap version???:265:

·
Seasoned Prime Member
446 Posts
VRODAJ said:
Thanks for all the help!! Now the next question, are all the release basicly the same or or some better then others. Was just looking at Jireh and see they have the for around $15 each. A seller on ebay has a pair for 29.50. Will i screw myself if i go for the cheap version?

AJ
Call Head-Quarters. $40 and they're the good ones. Doug don't sell no sh!t.:thumbsup: :duh?:

·
Infidel
6,331 Posts
VRODAJ said:
I know this has been beat to death but i have to ask? I just bought a flhtc with 95" 204 cams, SE heads(not HTCC) and High compression pistons. I'm wondering if I need compression releases? Seems to start hard when the motor is warm, so I'm wondering if when the weather gets hot if it will get worse.

Thanks

AJ

In addition to compression releases, you should also look into a high output starter.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
YankeeBob said:
25 cents a piece cheaper??? You call them the cheap version???:265:

Sorry, those are both the cheap ones compared to Jim's or SE.

Thanks everybody for all the help.

AJ

1 - 14 of 14 Posts