V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know it might depend on the particular cam, but is anyone using compression releases with a 9.5:1 compression ratio? It doesn't seem like its really necessary, but people are saying its good "insurance." The stage II kits don't have them. Anyone feel like they have a need for compression releases with a stage II?

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
AAL said:
I know it might depend on the particular cam, but is anyone using compression releases with a 9.5:1 compression ratio? It doesn't seem like its really necessary, but people are saying its good "insurance." The stage II kits don't have them. Anyone feel like they have a need for compression releases with a stage II?
As stated by GRock in another post.......................up to 10:1 usually does not need comp releases..............dependant also on cam duration and timing.

The wider the duration the less need for comp releases due to the softer torque at start up and low rpm.

All the best, Ozzie

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
AAL said:
Sure, why not?? You absolutely don't need them with a DME 510 cam and 9,5 but insurance is a good thing. Here are a few more insurance items:

roller rockers, forged rocker support, aftermarket cam support plate, titanium pushrods, performance lifters, hi flo oil pump, titanium valve keepers, aftermarket valve guides, extra capacity oil tank, oil cooler (with magnetic thingy for drawing in metal fragments), balanced flywheel, timken main bearing conversion, Wally's Cycle World brake pads and rotors (brakes are a very important insurance item and PM is said to be the best) which I'm sure Ozzie will back me on, torrington cam bearings, forged pistons (kryptonite mined from Mount Ararat preferred), cast iron lined bores with nikasil coating, Compu-fire starter, matched starter ring gear, Sikorsky Helicopter battery pack (the early Blackhawk works fine), Swain thermal coatings, Superflex battery cables with 24 karat gold braiding, tire air imported from the Swiss Alps, and last but not least...... the SE PERFORMANCE exhaust gaskets.

I'm sure I missed a few items, but I'm also sure that some of my more fun loving colleagues will chime in here and remind us of some good ones. See, boys and girls, insurance can be fun!!

·
Premium Member
3,289 Posts
GRock said:
Sure, why not?? You absolutely don't need them with a DME 510 cam and 9,5 but insurance is a good thing. Here are a few more insurance items:

roller rockers, forged rocker support, aftermarket cam support plate, titanium pushrods, performance lifters, hi flo oil pump, titanium valve keepers, aftermarket valve guides, extra capacity oil tank, oil cooler (with magnetic thingy for drawing in metal fragments), balanced flywheel, timken main bearing conversion, Wally's Cycle World brake pads and rotors (brakes are a very important insurance item and PM is said to be the best) which I'm sure Ozzie will back me on, torrington cam bearings, forged pistons (kryptonite mined from Mount Ararat preferred), cast iron lined bores with nikasil coating, Compu-fire starter, matched starter ring gear, Sikorsky Helicopter battery pack (the early Blackhawk works fine), Swain thermal coatings, Superflex battery cables with 24 karat gold braiding, tire air imported from the Swiss Alps, and last but not least...... the SE PERFORMANCE exhaust gaskets.

I'm sure I missed a few items, but I'm also sure that some of my more fun loving colleagues will chime in here and remind us of some good ones. See, boys and girls, insurance can be fun!!
Well, that's almost all hardware. How about some liquid stuff?
Slick 50 or similar engine life savers/enhancers.
And there is Syn3 for all three holes.........

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
ViennaHog said:
Well, that's almost all hardware. How about some liquid stuff?
Slick 50 or similar engine life savers/enhancers.
And there is Syn3 for all three holes.........
Vienna,
That the best you can come up with? And you were the guy I was gonna ask to ship the air over here!!

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Dont forget Bullet`s Lizard Juice..................this years batch makes your hair go fuzzy..........wish we had a fuzzy smiley!!! :boobies: :clap:

All the best, Ozzie

·
Premium Member
3,289 Posts
AAL said:
Yeah, but won't the Swiss Alps air void my warranty?
Swiss Air does void the warranty, Austrian Alps Air is legal on emission controlled vehicles. Has less oxygen/gallon, but higher 'Heidi' factor and is made in the European Union.
GRock, one item I really miss on your list, is the John Tickle crankcase lighting kit with translucent inspection door for only $399.95 +s&h. Early detection device for sumping. (Call 1-800 cda-lite for more info).

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
ViennaHog said:
Swiss Air does void the warranty, Austrian Alps Air is legal on emission controlled vehicles. Has less oxygen/gallon, but higher 'Heidi' factor and is made in the European Union.
GRock, one item I really miss on your list, is the John Tickle crankcase lighting kit with translucent inspection door for only $399.95 +s&h. Early detection device for sumping. (Call 1-800 cda-lite for more info).

Got to read the octane label on the Austrian Air as its too bloody powerful............just look what happened to your bike when you used it!!!
my smilies dont work!

All the best, Ozzie

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
ViennaHog said:
Now that's more like it, Vienna!! Love the idea of that crankcase peeker thing! Typing with one hand and calling that number with the other right now!! I owe you one!!
Hey Oz, want one, too?? Maybe I can get a deal if I order two! Wally's has them on sale!!:bleh:

·
Banned
871 Posts
AAL said:
My EVO is at a fraction under 10:1 with static compression of about 190 psi. It starts fine without releases, even when the temps are in the low teens like they have been here lately.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts