V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any competition shooters (handgun) out there?

I shoot IPSC (in Canada) and USPSA (in the US).

Just curious

Lumpy

·
Banned
4,276 Posts
I shoot bullseye. .22 pistols in a 50ft indoor range at the club. Pin shoot and other 'games' with my .45. I haven't tried IPSC yet. A guy at work is tring to get me to go.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Habanero Kid,

You should give it a try. I target shot for about 1 month and got
bored until they dragged my into IPSC. 10 years later I'm still
going strong in the sport. To me it's the travel and social side
of it. Action shooting is a hoot and it's always changing. I'm
slowly discovering that riding buddies are just like shooting
buddies.

Give it a try, it's a scream.

I really enjoy going into the US for their Area matches. 300+
competitors and some kick as wild stages. :D

·
Registered
56 Posts
AH...another IPSC shooter. I've been shooting USPSA now for 11 years. I'm a Match Director for one club and do the stats for two different USPSA clubs in the area. I also shoot IHMSA silhouettes, Match Director for that also(been doing that since 1978). I did shoot Trap for about 8 years also, but had to give that up when I helped another USPSA club get going back in '96. I also teach NRA courses and range certification at some of the local ranges. Hunter Ed instructor also, BUT my main interest for the past 26+ years has been competitive shooting. Also shoot some rifle Silhouette when time allows--although I have been cutting back this past year to ride the scoot (FXST) more and going to some of the rallies. I got back into riding about a year ago after selling my '79 shovel back in 84 to have money for my first born. Missed it a lot, but decided now was the time to get back into riding, before I got too old...not that I'm that young now. BUt I do love my 1911's---and riding to the matches is a double treat!! Alvin:D

·
Registered
130 Posts
I shot IPSC until I had a run in with my table saw. That put me out of competition for a season and I never got back into it. Maybe this spring I'll dust of the Dillon 550 and get back into it.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
I shoot rifle team matches on Thur and pistol (rim fire- Rugg Bull Nose) on Mon. Been in and out of the match thing fer about 18 yrs. With 4 kids my time is limted and waiting around for your turn to shoot can take forever sometimes. Used to do shotguns also, that's some fun stuff. With an 1100 Autoloader I couldn't miss. I have my 11yr old son in matches shooting 22 rifle at 50ft. Dam kid kicks ass. 10 targets 10 pionts each on 3 sheets, total 300 max. All in Prone. He's shooten 270's his first 3 matches. BB gun training paid off.

·
Infidel
6,331 Posts
yellowFatboy200 said:
I have my 11yr old son in matches shooting 22 rifle at 50ft. Dam kid kicks ass. 10 targets 10 pionts each on 3 sheets, total 300 max. All in Prone. He's shooten 270's his first 3 matches. BB gun training paid off.
YellowFB,

sounds like a great kid:D

wyo

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
He is, thanks. If he wasn't, he would never see a gun. And I have other great kids also but they don't shooting in any comp yet. But they shoot, and soon, the GIRL will shoot. She's 6.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I shoot comp. skeet...NSSA. I've been shooting skeet off and on since I was a teenager.

In '99 was my best year, I won a bunch of smaller shoots in my area and I was .410 Runner-up at the Great Eastern, then I won the .410 State Champion at the '99 VA. State Championship shoot, the next season I bought a Harley and now I just shoot every now and then for fun. I shoot a K-80 with Kolar tubes.

Don Blue

·
Registered
91 Posts
I shoot IDPA, IPSC, Sporting Clays and Skeet. I am the match director at a range in PA and a Safety Training Instructor and Area Coordinator for IDPA, hence the 9x23 in my name. I customize my own pistols and am starting to customize my bike. Too much to do....:p

·
Registered
121 Posts
Shoot Trap, Skeet, Sporting Clays, and Benchrest. Won the Colorado State 3-gun Aggregate Benchrest Championship in 1992 (seems like yesterday!). Don't really shoot much anymore - just too many more things to do.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I shot IPSC a lot back in the late '80s, but then a couple of things happened that got me out of it. First, I moved from Knoxville, Tn (the Oak Ridge IPSC club was huge!) to Pittsburgh, and the only combat style shooting going on near there was on Friday nite. That's date nite for me and the old lady, so that was that. The other thing was that IPSC got waaaay away from Practical with all shooters using big bulky dot sights (that you'd never trust your life to on the street, much less try to carry) and courses of fire that favored high capacity guns. Now, I thought compensators were OK, as they didn't compromise reliability and helped control recoil. But the rest turned it into an arcade game. I know, I know, in response to the grumbling, there was Limited, but having to travel to shoot, plus having another gun built just wasn't in the cards. So, I picked up an over and under shotgun and took up Sporting Clays. I still take my old single-stack Ed Brown gun out now and then, just for nostalgia's sake...

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Only competition I make is the GSSF (Glock Shooting Sport Foundation) match in my area. I'm a range officer and get to compete as well. I usually don't do as well since my Glock is strictly for quick acquisition and not for precision shooting. It's fun and a good excuse to go shooting....not that I need one.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Neat to see so many competitive shooters out there. I'm still plugging
away at it (IPSC). Came in 3rd C this year at our Canadian Nationals.
Got bumped to B class this year.

Now if I could only drop 50 lbs and practice more! :)

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Gophers, that's a WHOLE different ball game for me. That's what
I do to relax from competition shooting.

I have a custom built Ruger 10/22.. Heavy barrel, 1lb trigger...

with a C-More scope! :D

My buddy and I bought 5000rds each just for last year. In Saskatchewan
they had a gopher roundup shoot and in total they bagged over 65 000 gophers. :)

So much fun, but I'm going to hell for my actions against the aggressive
little buggers.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Shoot a tuesday night steel target match when ever I can make it out there. Based on IDPA format. I use a Glock 34 for the matches. Glock 19 w/ night sights for carry, Remington 870 20" w/ extended tube for late night unexpected visitors. Also have a Ruger 10-22 ( I think everyone does...lol..) and an American Spirit Arms AR-15 scoped w/ delta stock. Ya know your everyday sporting rifle. :D

Harley's Muscle Cars and Guns..... God Bless America.... I love this place!

Later,

1 - 20 of 33 Posts