V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 96 Posts

·
Huge Member
1,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't seen much on the "re-re-revival" of Indian Motorcycles on this board so I thought I'd stimulate some discussion on the topic. (And mess with the Victory guys at the same time. :265:)
According to their website, Indian is planning to get back into production and projecting a late second half 2006 date. They have several news releases on the site. Read about it here:

http://www.indianmotorcycle.com/

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
Next your going to get someone who is going to stay Indian died in 19....
Then your goiong to get a guy who says its just a kit bike, with a S&S mtr
Hopefully then there is some to say, no they have there own motor.

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
For the record I hope they do make a come back, more American bikes the better. Last I heard the name was bought by a company that specilizes in turning around bankrupt companies.

·
Banned
2,502 Posts
berserker said:
For the record I hope they do make a come back, more American bikes the better. Last I heard the name was bought by a company that specilizes in turning around bankrupt companies.[/QUOTE]
That is correct, but it is a British company.

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
So now they will be Aermican made but not American owned. To bad. Sort of like alot of *** bikes. I still prefer that to a import. Atleast its employing American workers. Lesser of two evils.

·
Premium Member
507 Posts
I do hope Indian gets it together and starts getting some out. Might get HD to take a good look at there self.

·
I haven't seen your bird.
8,499 Posts
Their most recent quarterly update (October 1, 2005) says they're looking to locate a manufacturing facility in the Southeastern states: "We are hopeful that we will have a permanent location for Indian selected by the end of 2005 or early 2006."

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
There previous facility got auctioned off? Locating it in the the SE is probably a mistake. Productiviy levels down there are not so great.

·
Huge Member
1,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Land and labor costs in the southeast have to be a lot less than they were in Hollister. They are going to have a terrific challenge where ever they go, but if they have a good plan and product, they should be able to pull it off. Regardless of any connection to the original Indian, they have the logo and the name and those will still sell motorcycles. I'm looking forward to seeing them in production and wish them success.

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
I imagine cost are pretty high in CA. I think its a little more then just name that connects them to Indian. They got simialr styling. When you come down to it what connects todays HD to one 50 years ago? So much has changed.

I like the idea of having more bikes to choice from. I think the Indian is sharp looking bike too. Something differant.

·
Registered
9 Posts
berserker said:
There previous facility got auctioned off? Locating it in the the SE is probably a mistake. Productiviy levels down there are not so great.
Don't think so. Neither does BMW and Mercedes Benz and many others. Land is still available in much of the southeast, and communities here, including my own hometown of Jacksonville, are providing excellent incentives and tax breaks to attract business. The work force is educated, capable, and willing to work. The schools and quality of life are an easy sell too for some of the relocating execs. The stigma of the south will unfortunately last a lot longer than the reality. We'd love to have Indian locate in my neck of the woods and I believe we could put em' together without too many parts left over!

arjay

·
EASY DOES IT
8,914 Posts
Thunderhog said:
berserker said:
For the record I hope they do make a come back, more American bikes the better. Last I heard the name was bought by a company that specilizes in turning around bankrupt companies.[/QUOTE]
That is correct, but it is a British company.
Aussie company...and they bought belly-up ChrisCraft and turned it around...

·
EASY DOES IT
8,914 Posts
springer- said:
Why would they do that? HD didn't go out of business in 1953, or 2003.
Nope...but competition will keep ya on yer toes!

·
Banned
2,502 Posts
swmnkdinthervr said:
Thunderhog said:
Aussie company...and they bought belly-up ChrisCraft and turned it around...
The new owner is Stellican Limited, a private equity firm headquartered in the UK that specializes in reviving ailing recreational product companies with strong brand names and also owns firms in unrelated industries like soft drinks and cash registers.

·
EASY DOES IT
8,914 Posts
Thunderhog said:
swmnkdinthervr said:
The new owner is Stellican Limited, a private equity firm headquartered in the UK that specializes in reviving ailing recreational product companies with strong brand names and also owns firms in unrelated industries like soft drinks and cash registers.
I won't argue who...but they did save the boat company...saw it on "Discovery" (sure thought it was an Aussie co called "Kiwi Indian" or some such) oh well...you know how us old farts memory is...

Edit:...still don't know the parent company; http://www.kiwi-indian.com/forsale/motorcycles/

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
arjay said:
Don't think so. Neither does BMW and Mercedes Benz and many others. Land is still available in much of the southeast, and communities here, including my own hometown of Jacksonville, are providing excellent incentives and tax breaks to attract business. The work force is educated, capable, and willing to work. The schools and quality of life are an easy sell too for some of the relocating execs. The stigma of the south will unfortunately last a lot longer than the reality. We'd love to have Indian locate in my neck of the woods and I believe we could put em' together without too many parts left over!

arjay
Don't know much about the work force in FL. But the most of the 13, nope. Lazy. Guess they call it laid back or something.

·
Registered
7 Posts
berserker said:
So now they will be Aermican made but not American owned. To bad. Sort of like alot of *** bikes. I still prefer that to a import. Atleast its employing American workers. Lesser of two evils.
This really doesn't make any sense anymore, look at all the americans who work at japanese brand dealerships let alone the american corporate headquarters for these big manufacturers. It seems to me that Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki and Suzuki employ thousands of american workers in america of all places.

As far as Indian goes, it would be nice to see them get a foothold and stick around for a while.

1 - 20 of 96 Posts