V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had the Screamin Eagle sprocket installed when my starter and starter drive went out. The dealer said the c/s was bad.
Would that damage the starter? I know it would kick back (that's what it sounded like) that would knock the fillings out of your teeth and in time it would grind unless I bumped the started until it started.

They replaced the clutch basket, sprocket, starter, and starter drive.

I went for a couple hours ride today and the bike smoothly starts now but more is there used to be a buzzing vibration at highway speed that I thought was normal but it's gone now. Would any one of these items being replaced cause that? I didn't get numb thumb for the first time.

They had all this apart a few months ago to replace the stator and didn't seem to see the c/s was bad then...and the at speed vibration was there before and after the stator.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi.

Between the motor of your starter and the jackshaft, there is a part called starter clutch assy.
It engages in one sense and work as a free wheel in the other sense.
Thus, I don's believe that a bad C/s will cause damages in your starter

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
I had the Screamin Eagle sprocket installed when my starter and starter drive went out. The dealer said the c/s was bad.
Would that damage the starter? I know it would kick back (that's what it sounded like) that would knock the fillings out of your teeth and in time it would grind unless I bumped the started until it started.

They replaced the clutch basket, sprocket, starter, and starter drive.

I went for a couple hours ride today and the bike smoothly starts now but more is there used to be a buzzing vibration at highway speed that I thought was normal but it's gone now. Would any one of these items being replaced cause that? I didn't get numb thumb for the first time.

They had all this apart a few months ago to replace the stator and didn't seem to see the c/s was bad then...and the at speed vibration was there before and after the stator.

On my second c/s is when I noticed the noise that was gone. Sounded like valve train noise. After a short time I can here the noise again.. Haven't noticed any vibration other than just being a Harley.. I'm pushing 44,000 now. I'm concerned about why the c/s goes bad.. Seems to me something's not right, :confused:

·
Super Moderator
20,934 Posts
I was working on a little 69 Vespa last week and it had a compensator that was half again as big as the one the MC uses. No wonder they fail so often.

·
Swamprat Rider
757 Posts
Putting an SE Comp in my 09 Ultra was one of the best things did for it, no more clang bang starts when it's warm and the Primary itself is much smoother and quieter ..

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
Putting an SE Comp in my 09 Ultra was one of the best things did for it, no more clang bang starts when it's warm and the Primary itself is much smoother and quieter ..
How many miles on the new unit ?

·
Swamprat Rider
757 Posts
How many miles on the new unit ?
Did the Change at 30K Have 42K now, so 12K trouble free miles with it ... Still starts as quiet and as smooth after first installed it ..

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
Did the Change at 30K Have 42K now, so 12K trouble free miles with it ... Still starts as quiet and as smooth after first installed it ..
My second C/S made a noise when you turned bike off. Only other noise was sounded like valve train. With second replacement was real quiet and within 1,000 miles it's makeing noise again.. Don't understand... I don't beat this thing, just ride, :confused:

·
Registered
368 Posts
The compensator sprocket banging definitely takes out starter drives. I have a new starter on the way and will be installing the S.E. compensator on mine at the same time.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts