V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so we installed the new s&s crank With 4 3/8” stroke. The entire build Is done and we just waiting on shim to align the clutch gasket and engine sprocket up perfectly. A issue I believe I’m having is this and I can not find this anywhere on web except for 05. When I torque the comp nut to specs the manual clearly says 75 ft lbs then another 40-50 degrees. Once we hit 75 ft lbs and start turning any more the nut is bottoming out on the shaft. It is bottoming out on the crank and it is also depressing the compensator springs entirely. so I can not get any more ft lbs without either installing a shim in between the back of the nut and the compensator itself or cutting down the nut itself. If anyone had experience with something similar advice would be greatly appreciated. If you know of a high torque compensating kit or anything that will help out please let me know.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So this is the second set of pipes. I’ve checked every bolt and everything. I can not figure what this rattle is sounds Like it’s rattling in the engine and echoes through the exhaust. I may be completely wrong but I used a stethoscope and found no out of place noises. We only installed the S&s 510g on this bike so the lift is not to much plus I did have the heads reworked. I performed a squish test and we are in the mid 30’s on that. So I’m out of ideas. We have rocker lockers and shins on the end play of the rocker arms. I removed the cam plate cover last night and all was correct with the world. Please if anyone has ever had something like this give me a direction. It’s driving me crazy not being able to figure out. Here’s short video and you can really hear it at the beginning the best. It sounds like a BB rattling.
youtu.be/nfRU06rtZPoyoutu.be/nfRU06rtZPo

·
Registered
8,779 Posts
whats the compression? or ccp? or timing advance? it sounds alot like valve ping,, but pinging at idle,, is rare.. if it were actually pinging at idle it should be unreal while running under a moderate load...

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah when we put load on it it actually doesn't do it as often. When I put my hand on the rear of the exhaust with pressure like I am trying to not allow air out, it actually completely stops. I dropped off today and my mechanic and told him about he's going to fine tune everything for me and see if he can pin point down. I will add some of the octane boost we purchased a case at Sturgis last year so along with the 91 octane fuel we have here maybe that will help also. Thanks for the advice. One thing I did make a big mistake on is I was trying not to spend money on this build and we already had the S&S 510G cams in there. I figured I could just reuse these same cams, but now we have too much compression for this cam so I'm going shopping for a new one. The CCP was at about 190 if I recall correctly 190 to 195 in both jugs. I do not know about the timing on it at this time?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Ok so we installed the new s&s crank With 4 3/8” stroke. The entire build Is done and we just waiting on shim to align the clutch gasket and engine sprocket up perfectly. A issue I believe I’m having is this and I can not find this anywhere on web except for 05. When I torque the comp nut to specs the manual clearly says 75 ft lbs then another 40-50 degrees. Once we hit 75 ft lbs and start turning any more the nut is bottoming out on the shaft. It is bottoming out on the crank and it is also depressing the compensator springs entirely. so I can not get any more ft lbs without either installing a shim in between the back of the nut and the compensator itself or cutting down the nut itself. If anyone had experience with something similar advice would be greatly appreciated. If you know of a high torque compensating kit or anything that will help out please let me know.
I just did my compensator on my 2007 Electra glide. The Screaming Eagle instructions clearly state 175 foot pounds.
Did you leave out a spring plate, or put them in the wrong order?

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No but your 07 is different then the 06 I believe. I believe in 07 is when the next style of compensators was introduced. My book states to tighten to 50 or 75lbs and then torque over another 40 degrees.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts