V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just recently pulled my FLHTC 91 Electra Glide compensator and clutch drum apart and need to ask you a question concerning the gears on the compensator. When l tore it down the gears looked as if they were not meshed together fully and went back together the same is this normal when installed?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
There are some flat. or concave type springs stacked inside the cover assembly. They are called belville springs. They hold tension on the "gears" as you call them. Those "gears" are supposed to slide back and forth, under spring tension, absorbing the shock of the engine firing. That is why they don't mesh like gears would. Those gears are more commonly called cams (or maybe ramps). You can't see all this happening, as it is all inside the primary chaincase.

Did you notice any shiny. polished looking spots where the 2 pieces would make contact? Like on the points of one side and down in the valleys of the other side? That is normal wear of the two parts sliding on each other.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Relaxed they should be somewhat sprung seated together..... when you apply tourqe they will cushin and separate/slide up the ramps...mine is original 91 primary comp and pretty much has been trouble free since...i have replaced the chain and rotor and stator over time...the teeth are also a point of wear along with the ramps...you prob good to go...you need to pull it down to inspect it all pretty much but not if no issues

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Relaxed they should be somewhat sprung seated together..... when you apply tourqe they will cushin and separate/slide up the ramps...mine is original 91 primary comp and pretty much has been trouble free since...i have replaced the chain and rotor and stator over time...the teeth are also a point of wear along with the ramps...you prob good to go...you need to pull it down to inspect it all pretty much but not if no issues
Thanks for replies "Happy New Year"

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
You should be more concerned with getting it back together right. Good clean threads inside the nut and on the crankshaft output shaft, with a few drops of red locking compound. Torqued properly. You don't want to do this halfway. I'm not saying you did anything wrong. Keep an ear out for some really nasty noises coming from the primary area. If it's not done right, you should hear something pretty quick. After a while, you can relax and forget about it.

Do you have a bar or wedge for locking the primary drive for disassembly and assembly? Kind of hard to get the right torque without one. I know some people that just run it off and on with an impact wrench. My hands aren't calibrated for that.

Reactions: WiSeNhEiMeR -1369

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
you gotta clean the old locktite out of the threads with a buggar picker or tapp if you got one..both comp and clutch nuts and the shaft threads then spray em up with brake cleaner...also spray the nuts and your socket with cleaner so the breaker bar(long one) wont slip off and slam u in the head...dont ask how i know!....i used a peaice of 80/20 to lock up the gears but now use a 3/8 socket extension placed just right works better 9" i think

1 - 7 of 7 Posts