V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's the experience in here with these pipes?
1) VH BigShot Staggered
2) Samson Ripsaw
3) Any of the short slasher pipes

Which have the best ability to fight the blues?
Which are the loudest? or best sound?
Where is the best place to buy?
Can they have baffles added if the sound is to loud?

Thanks, I got a lot questions. You guys are appreciated.
Mike

·
Registered
335 Posts
rip saws, i've got them and love em. best price varies but i got mine through a local shop with a drag specialties catalog.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Got the Ground Pounders which are very similar to the Rip Saws.......highly recommended......nice loud, deep sound

Tony:cool:

·
Registered
194 Posts
I'm also VERY interested in getting the Ripsaws and I've got a couple questions.
Do you guys use the torque cones to make up for the lack of back pressure to improve the low end torque?

Also, I've heard this pipe at idle and they sound awesome to me but I've never heard them at highways speeds. Are they extremely loud at this speed since there are no baffles?

Finally, Do the newer version ripsaws (Big Gun 2???) come with heatshields or are they an option? Thanks

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
does anyone have a pic of a heritage softail classic with the big shots staggered on it???

·
Registered
335 Posts
basically the same response as blue duece, they are not to loud for me no the highway i just absolutly love them. a lot of people say the straight pipe ruins performance but with the pipes/torque cones, carb rejet and air box mod ( drilled in larger air hole) bike runs MUCH better than when i bought it and souds fukkin awesome.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Thanks blueduece & Jay......

Like I said I've never heard the Ripsawz at highway speeds. I figured they were loud. Do you guys wear ear protection for extended rides?
I was also checking out the new Python 3's that V&H's make. I haven't had a chance to hear either one but after reading your guys post.....I don't think I neeed to bother with them. Your comments helped reinforce my decision to go with the Rips

·
Registered
17 Posts
Ripsaws

I decided to go with the ripsaw myself. Believe it or not, the best price I've been able to find (including the heat shields) is my local HD dealer. $379. I could come close on the net but could bever beat it. Anyone else finding them cheaper?

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've been chatting to guy from Ebay that has a set removed from his 98 Heritage. With heat shields and shipping for $200. He says they look fine but I'll have to buy the torque cones. Does that sound reasonable. They have some bluing but it's covered by the shields he says.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Check www.krooners.com & www.gopartsdirect.com, they both have great prices & free shipping. My buddy has Samsons, I won't ride next to him when he nails it, it will deafen you being an open pipe. The V&H's have a removeable baffle and sound great either way. Those Samsons look awesome though! Custom Krome makes a set of AR cones for $39. that work well (Don't Overtorque The Exhaust Bolts On The Head!!) 60-80 INCH-Pounds is it!!). Harley has designed anti-reversion into the head on the Twin-Cam, which is what those cones try to stop (reversion of exhaust gasses, which creates power loss, is worse on an Evo, than an 88cid). That's my story and I'm stickin' to it!!

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I found a guy on ebay with the V&H Big Shots Staggered for $415 plus shipping. A lot of the others say they are sold out. I found a shop locally with 7 sets. They offered me one for $449 plus tax. If anybody is dying for a set let me know and I"ll direct you to them.
Later, I think I'm going to try the RipSaw's, for $200 if I don't like them, probably somebody else will want to give them a try.

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
I went last week and ordered the V&H bigshots staggereds for my heritage softail also...but from my harley dealer 450.00 because of the 10% discount from them... plus they'll back up any problems cause I bought from them... if you bring your own stuff in not purchased from the dealer. they 1) really don't or won't allow it. So I'll pay a little extra just to be safe... I got lucky cause they had the pipes in stock .. so when my bike arrives in a couple weeks .. everything is ready to go.. I've asked around alot .but no one seems have the heritage with these pipes on around here... so I don't know how it's going to look.... Can't wait!

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Cool, Post a pic and give a opinion of the sound when you get it on.
Thanks,
Mike

·
Registered
22 Posts
Check out www.mawonline.com for price before you buy anything! I've found if they have what I'm looking for, they always have the lowest price. And sometimes they have free shipping days. I got my V&H StraightShots from them for $299.95, on one of those free shipping days.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Thanks for all the info on the Ripsaws.

I finally got a price on the Samson Ripsaws from the HD dealer. After he tried telling me that's not what I wanted.....how the %$#@ does he know what I WANT?.....anyways, it looks like the new Big Gun II RipSaws are the Shorty version with Ripsaw shaped slip-ons slid into the header pipe. This leaves a seam or transition where the two pipes meet. Also they come with baffles now and assume the seam is require to seperate the pipes to install the baffles.

Does anyone have the newer style Ripsaws? What's your input? Sound, etc. Do you still need the torque cones?

To "JaY" and "Bluedeuce" the pipes you were refering to, were they the original Big Guns or the new Big Guns II?

I've never seen or heard the new style pipes in person. Does anyone have any good pics they could share of the newer style pipe? I was dead set on the the new Ripsaws until I saw the seam. I really like the looks of the original pipe without any seams.... Thanks

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I thought the ripsaw was made by Samson? Does V&H now make a version of them too?

·
Registered
194 Posts
You're right Curtis, Samson does make the Ripsaws.....not V&H. Didn't mean to confuse things. I edited my post to make it clearer.....I hope.
My reply carried over from the first page. :)

1 - 20 of 52 Posts