V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
929 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would it be safe to heat the comp nut a little to break the loc-tite ???

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
PosseRider said:
Would it be safe to heat the comp nut a little to break the loc-tite ???
Yes it is ok to heat it just not enought to turn it colors. an easier and more effective way is get a helper and have them strike the side of the socket with a hammer while you are putting the muscle to it. I nearly broke my breaker bar trying to get my comp nut off and then I tried smacking the side of the socket while putting torque to the nut and it immediately came loose. You don't have to hit it hard just a couple of sharp taps to break the thread locker.

·
Registered
929 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thats what I did last time. Broke the breaker bar. Darn seal stared leaking & I have to take the inner primary off again. Thanx for the quick response.

·
Delinquent
1,780 Posts
I use a heat gun and apply pressure until the locktite lets go.

·
Registered
929 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok another ? I got the comp nut & clutch basket off. Now I cant get the belt
sprocket nut loose. I believe it is also left hand thread, correct???? I thought the shifter seal was leaking but nooooooo, that was too easy, it is the main shaft seal leaking. D**N, so now have to get that belt sprocket off !!!

·
Premium octane member
7,381 Posts
Yes, turn clockwise to remove. You also need a 1 7/8 socket with support. Also a good time to get a new quad seal as well. Also inspect pulley wear as this is the ideal time to change if needed.

·
Registered
929 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have the socket, bought it when I did the Baker. Just trying to refresh myself on the direction. It just is not coming loose. The darn seal on the shaft is leaking, so will also do the quad , thinking about putting the torch to that nut!! or maybe a 3/4" impact if I can find one tomorrow.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts