V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Premium Member
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to comment on people responding to threads by telling the person to do a search. Often times you can read a ton of past posts without really getting your answer and many times there is a different group of folks reading the new thread with a different point of view. This forum is to share stuff with each other, not to act like someone is bothering us with a stupid question.

My pet peeve would be naming the new threads, The title should have some type of connection with the content, that way someone can make a decision on if they care to read the post or not.

Regardless, this is a great source of info and I spend way to much time reading all this stuff.

Thanks to everyone who makes this a great site

·
Ironbutt
7,412 Posts
oaksmith said:
I'd like to comment on people responding to threads by telling the person to do a search. Often times you can read a ton of past posts without really getting your answer and many times there is a different group of folks reading the new thread with a different point of view. This forum is to share stuff with each other, not to act like someone is bothering us with a stupid question.

My pet peeve would be naming the new threads, The title should have some type of connection with the content, that way someone can make a decision on if they care to read the post or not.

Regardless, this is a great source of info and I spend way to much time reading all this stuff.

Thanks to everyone who makes this a great site
I understand and somewhat agree. The problem is a lot of people don't bother to even do a search. If they have then they should start their question by saying "i've done a search but still haven't found the answer to my question." Those that have been on this forum for a while recognize subjects that have been covered in depth. They are only trying to help the person by telling them to do a search first as they can usually find the answer to their question quicker this way.

·
Premium Member
1,163 Posts
This is another point of view, technology changes. If you search and get answers to last years problems, an up to the minute question is certainly in order. That's what makes this place a great place for information. If you feel it's a waste to answer, then don't answer, but don't get upset if someone asks for info.

Thorns

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
I would somewhat agree, but it falls under the category of don't let everything bother you in life. do a search buy a manual, and so on. if I feel that way about a question I don't bother to respond. I think there are some that only tend to respond with that type of answer and will continue to, so don't let it bother you to much. matter of fact I should do a search to see if this has been talked about before before we told to do a search or buy a manual that it's in the service manual.

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Your point is taken oaksmith. But take a look at it from the side of those who have been on here for a long time. Typically they (we, I guess I can count myself, although I don't think my level of expertise/knowledge of bikes is near the level of alot of the people here) see they same posts come in from new members (or very similar posts), which can get tiresome (kindof like the 6 year old in the back of the car asking, "Are we there yet?" every 5 minutes!) If you did a search and couldn't find the answer, several times I've seen other members even link an older post (showing they ran a search for the original poster) with the answers!

For the most part, the members here that request people to run a search first are quite a bit more amiable than some other forums I've seen. I joined an Xterra forum a year or so ago, and ended up only posting once (an introduction post), because if you didn't run a search first on a question, they would practically string you up and hang you to dry!

·
Premium Member
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Here is an excellent example, I was thinking about posting a question about storage tube kits and thought maybe I better do the search thing first, I got everything except what I was trying to get.
So a big part of searching is being able to use it,,,,,it is very apparent that I'm not smart enough to get the results that I want!

I'm now going to post a new thread!!!!!!!

·
Registered
603 Posts
I agree, one should do a search 1st, but the search engine with this forum is terrible.

JMS in TX

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
You can usually tell the dumb thread by the title. Just don't click on them. I agree it is somewhat a joke around here, the threads we get. The problem is there is lots of new people, which is also good.

Its like TV, turn the channel, if you don't like the thread.

·
ovanay elinquentday
2,021 Posts
berserker said:
You can usually tell the dumb thread by the title. .....
Yea, you're right, but I still manage let myself click on them. Like this one....

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
The search engines on most forums are terrible. The problem is how we look at things and the terms we use. I spend countless hours in my job searching knowledge bases and online documentation and can tell you it isn't easy to find what you are looking for unless you are lucky enough to get the wording of your search so close to the original post title or content it would be as if you started the original post. Sometimes it is just faster to post and hope someone will fess up with an answer and not bite your head off.

Many times, thanks to Google and the folks that designed that absolutely fantastic search engine, I can find answers much faster by doing a Google search. I would say eight times out of ten I come up with what I'm looking for within the first couple of pages returned. Google does, by the way, make their search technology available to private entities that need superior search capability. But, that is costly and probably not a practical approach for most forum operators, although a regular Google search will usually pull info out of just about any forum you can think of.

Something else that goes a long way is for forum operators to review posts now and then and make sticky anything that comes up frequently. Or, as I've seen on some technology forums, a sort of FAQ that contains the most frequently posted questions with a method of searching those.

I've done searches here (and other places) and rarely will I find what I'm looking for. The info is probably there somewhere, but I've spent the better part of an hour a few times changing the wording of my search and still came up empty.

·
Banned
2,149 Posts
The problem is a lot of people don't bother to even do a search
Please understand, this might be difficult due to the age of the biker.

For example, suppose I'm rebuilding a panhead, and I have a clutch that is a bear to operate. I'm looking for info to help me. So naturally I search for the word that means the most to me:

Mousetrap

Some 20-something might be the master rebuilder on clutch boosters, but never heard the knickname.

Don't you think it might be better, since we're all supposed to be brothers, that if a redundant question arises we simply inform the newbie and where he can find the info?

Let's face it, have you ever been kneeling on greasy dank garage floor, desperate for an answer and then have some knot-noggin lambaste you for not using the right spell-check?

Help the bro, answer the question.

·
Life is what you make it
3,568 Posts
I would have to agree

I am really sorry to say that as I enjoy this forum. The best 15 bucks I have spent in a longtime. I have enjoyed lots of people on here too. I have also learned a ton !!!! When I first started to use this forum in "Engine Mods" I got that a lot, do a search or that subject has been discussed before to length etc..... Well I didnt know I was new. I didnt even really know my way around the forum at that point. I also got some pretty good slams from a few guys about my build and my tuning abilities. Well I came onto the forum to learn. I could see that there were some guys who were very knowledgeable and I wanted to tap into their experience and wisdom. After all that is why I was on the forum was to learn, if I knew it all there would be no reason for me to join. I was lucky, one of the guru's of Engine Mods, who unfortunetly is no longer visiting us, was very patient with me. Told me to hang in there and gave me the advice I needed even though he had probably told it a hundred times. If it wasnt for a few members like him I would have booked a long time ago. I was in mods just the other day and got hit with the do a search thing.
I gotta tell you it pissed me off. I apologized for my error.. and again there was a member that was patient enough to give me the answer I was looking for and I also did a search. The answer I got was better then any of the search results I could find. If a subject is old to you and you are sick of hearing about it move on nobody is forcing you to read any of this stuff. Some members are nice enough to post a link leading you to the topic in question. But to say do a search isnt much of a welcome to anyone. Most of us came here looking for answers to questions, many that have probably been asked before............ not everyone knows all that you know already:hmmm:

·
Registered
5,460 Posts
For most search engines, they are most effective when people make the effort to spell correctly. Some may think it's no big deal but if they post something helpful that post is most likely lost to history if nobody can find it. :crying:

Use the preview button first. :265:

·
EASY DOES IT
8,914 Posts
Duoglide_62 said:
Try to search on cold start and see what you get.
Better yet...try one on oil..and see what chuck says...'er see what ya get! It's just like any other club/group/forum...there are those less willing to help those who won't help themselves...me, I'll take any chance I get to be a smart a$$

·
Registered
14,069 Posts
I've been here a long time and I'll only use the search button if I want to, I don't need anybody telling me to use it. I've read just about every question imaginable. I've never told anyone to use the search function. A lot of times it just may be a new guy trying to break the ice. If the question is repetitive and bothers you why not just move on and ignore it? Bunch of whiners. ^rolleyez^

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
My internet service consists of two cans and a string. It's the best service I can get for living way out from an urban area. Crusing the internet takes up a lot of time. I don't like to make searches either when there are hundreds of others out there in "chat forums" that can help. Hell I could search the whole www and not just this forum, for answers to almost any question if I wanted to. If it bothers any person that has been here forever, then don't read the post. There are new people coming and going all the time. Not all repeat questions are technical. New opinions, ideas, etc. to an old question should never get boaring.

·
Enjoy The Silence
158 Posts
MY take on the "do the search" comments, the responder is a ;!pstwhore and just trying to raise post count.

:sofa: :xhere:

·
Rider
848 Posts
oaksmith, not flaming ya man but you may probably should have done a search before starting this thread. A lot of good info already here.

:D

·
Registered
14,069 Posts
MOHeritage05 said:
MY take on the "do the search" comments, the responder is a ;!pstwhore and just trying to raise post count.

:sofa: :xhere:
Exactly.

And then there is people like me who raises their post count other ways. :whistle:

1 - 20 of 57 Posts