V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
void** ppVoid;
895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I just completed my second weekend of MSF instruction for this year. In eastern PA. Yesterday, I froze my a$$ off and rode home in a freaking snow/sleet storm. Today, I got the racoon face from the sun, sunglasses and NO sunblock.

Anyhow, what kinds of comfortable long lasting boots are you other MSF instructors using? Ones where I won't be hobbling around after setting up / picking up cones all day?

I got some gel inserts for my cruiserworks, but they did not help much.

Thanks!

G

·
I've always worn redwings. Long periods on asphalt or concrete is when they really show you why they're worth so much.

Harris

·
The Anti-RUB
1,901 Posts
Harris said:
I've always worn redwings. Long periods on asphalt or concrete is when they really show you why they're worth so much.
I'm not an instructor, but I second the Red Wing boots... Been wearing them for over 14 years. Very good quality boots. When/if the sole wears out you just get a new one put on. Every pair I've had has lasted over 3 years (with a couple sole changes for each). Enjoy...

·
ALOHA, marooned Doof
249 Posts
2nd, 3rd, & 4th...

Harris said:
Harris
Redwings are my footware of choice....however, I do have one pair for riding and one pair for instructing (or RiderCoach no days).

I would really only need the one pair. That being the pair I use for riding; but, that pair I bought with NO EXTRA ROOM...fits like a glove, therefore, no room for Dr. Scholl's.

The pair I use on the range is over the ankle hiking type.

Good luck on finding the right pair for you..... I am a firm believer that my feet are worth the extra $$$ for a good pair of boots.

Punky

·
Total Nutcase
2,691 Posts
I bought some Justin ropers and had a shoe repair shop put a treaded sole on the bottom, then I put gel inserts inside. I don't think I've ever worn anything more comfortable.

·
void** ppVoid;
895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the input. I'm going to take a look at the redwings. Never heard of the justin ropers, I'll have to google them. Again, thanks.

·
Registered
580 Posts
I wear Chippewa linemans boots and wear them 15 plus hrs a day while at work and while riding,check these out also ,recommend them to anyone that is on there feet all day

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
I have a pair of HD Badlanders which are made by Wolverine.I wear them almost everyday and always for riding.Some of the most comfortable footwear I've ever had.Cheap too...online $79.95 delivered.I am looking for something with steel toes for extra protection but haven't found a pair where the steel in the toebox didn't bother me.Might have to just forget about the steel.

·
Premium Member
40 Posts
I've never tried Red Wings, although I've earned them.
I'm suprised no one has mentioned Wolverines with the Mighty Durashocks.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Aside from my Harley boots (yeah, I wouldn't be walking around all day in those) I have a pair of Herman Survivors. Very comfy. Of course, I've had the same pair since 1979, so they're plenty broken in.

·
Pimp Daddy
386 Posts
I teach with a set of Harley Paraspinna boots and have never had any problem with them. I think I'll try these Red Wing boots and see how much better they are since they have gotten rave reviews.

G

·
One thing with Red Wings is that they can be purchased or at least ordered in absolutely any size and width. Most stores have a good selection, but if yours is an uncommon size, they'll have them for you in a couple days. The Red Wing stores take the time to find your size, your width and your arch length. Then once you've got them, if you're not happy, they're not happy. I got 18 years out of a pair with a lot of use, and one re-sole.

Harris

·
Registered
162 Posts
I have a pair of redwing work boots w/ over 8 years and 5 soles on em. I have a pair of harley boots that I wear daily, BUT I am gonna get a pair of redwing 980s. there is no compairison in comfort.

·
void** ppVoid;
895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Lot of good suggestions. Tomorrow I'm going to a redwing boot store. I like the idea of mc boots and hiking boots (over the ankle). If these redwings are up to the rave reviews, I'll just get two pairs.

Oh, and I stand corrected, rider coach, not instructor.:yes:

Thanks all!

·
Just a kid at heart
597 Posts
I like my Cruiserworks boots because sometimes when I am focussing on a new rider I may not notice the huge puddle of water in fron of me.

You all may want to check out Techsox at www.techsox.com. They are cushioned and provide good wicking and temperature control.

·
void** ppVoid;
895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
wydeglyde said:
I like my Cruiserworks boots because sometimes when I am focussing on a new rider I may not notice the huge puddle of water in fron of me.

You all may want to check out Techsox at www.techsox.com. They are cushioned and provide good wicking and temperature control.
My current boots are cruiserworks. Last Saturday the water breeched them and my feet got soaked. This after only 2 riding seasons. Plus the soles are completely worn at the ball of foot area. First season they worked great, second season, OK but alot of wear on the soles. First time out on third season and no water protection and soles completely flimsy.

·
Registered
17 Posts
The wolverines are some of the most comfortable boots I have ever worn.

No break-in necessary and they felt better than my Redwings ever did.

·
killer sperm
2,852 Posts
If you go with Redwing's make sure you get the genuine made in USA ones, not the chinese knockoffs they are starting to sell. Consider looking at uniform boots that are designed to be stood in for long periods of time. I have Danner Acadias that are all day boots. Again, when dealing with Danner make sure you get the real thing, not their imported knockoff's.
I wear Redwing's and Danner's, good stuff. I have tried their knockoffs & they aren't in the same league.

·
void** ppVoid;
895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Milehog said:
If you go with Redwing's make sure you get the genuine made in USA ones, not the chinese knockoffs they are starting to sell. Consider looking at uniform boots that are designed to be stood in for long periods of time. I have Danner Acadias that are all day boots. Again, when dealing with Danner make sure you get the real thing, not their imported knockoff's.
I wear Redwing's and Danner's, good stuff. I have tried their knockoffs & they aren't in the same league.
How do I tell the imported knockoffs? Are there "Made in the USA" on the non-imported ones? I'm going to run to the redwing store today and want to make sure I don't purchase the imports. thx.

·
killer sperm
2,852 Posts
Ask the sales guy & hope he's honest. Redwings motorcycle boot was made in USA 'till recently. Just ran downstairs & looked at my Redwings. Both pair have a tag sewn to the inside of the tongue of the right boot that says 'made in USA'.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts