V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
do the cometic headgaskets compress when installed?? when you pull a head off tht has a .030 gasket will it still be .030?? same for the Harley gaskets... they appear to be very much like the cometic, on the newer bikes. being there made of layers of steel i cannot imagine them compressing. but then just maybe they will be a bit less from torquing them down?? just curious.
Happy

·
Banned
3,694 Posts
happyman said:
do the cometic headgaskets compress when installed?? when you pull a head off tht has a .030 gasket will it still be .030?? same for the Harley gaskets... they appear to be very much like the cometic, on the newer bikes. being there made of layers of steel i cannot imagine them compressing. but then just maybe they will be a bit less from torquing them down?? just curious.
Happy

They are compressed to .030 when torqued correctly...

{salute( :spank: {salute(

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
SEDELUXE said:
correct taken mine off a few times and re-used them .030 the compressed measurment

Really? You can re-use head gaskets? I've got mine apart right now and the cometic .030's only have a few hundred miles on them. Is it common practice to re-use them?

·
Premium Member
11,928 Posts
from cometic----------------you can reuse the head gaskets after torquing, but replace if they have been through an extended heat cycle.

·
?????
3,531 Posts
raycer said:
Really? You can re-use head gaskets? I've got mine apart right now and the cometic .030's only have a few hundred miles on them. Is it common practice to re-use them?
The only head gaskets that I've reused is the copper head gaskets that we used in the O-ringed heads if my brothers Blown alcohol BBC. Maybe you can get away with it, but then I don't care to try and cheap out on something that will be a PIA if it fails when I'm several hundred miles from home.

·
Registered
118 Posts
raycer said:
I pulled my build apart with .030's at 800 miles to get the heads shaved a little more. Called Cometic and they said I should be ok to reuse them but he said " don't hold me to it." I reused them and 3,000 miles later no problems. Don't hold me to it though. (haha)

·
Registered
13,064 Posts
These gaskets can be used a few times, but may leak at any of those times. if it is a pita job, buy new ones. if you have to get it together and don't have access to new, used will work 90% of the time, if they look good. It is just the cost vs. re-do cost that is the equation.

·
IronButt
6,364 Posts
I think there are many factors to think about before reusing them or not. But if you do keeping them in the sam location would be key. I have re used them before and never had any issues. On a race bike that I used to help with we would use them all season unless they got damaged.

·
Banned
3,694 Posts
HDWRENCH said:
I think there are many factors to think about before reusing them or not. But if you do keeping them in the sam location would be key. I have re used them before and never had any issues. On a race bike that I used to help with we would use them all season unless they got damaged.

As Steve stated he recommended reusing my head gaskets when I exchanged Stage 5 R&R Cast Heads for the Stage 4 R&R heads I had on my bike. Steve said to carefully inspect the head gaskets for blowby, weepage / seepage, damage, etc. and make sure that I placed them in the same location they were removed from....

{salute( :spank: {salute(

1 - 11 of 11 Posts