V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone!
I'm doing the 95 upgrade[02 softail standard] with flat top pistons, tw37 cams, hsr42 carb, I have the k&n air filter in the ness, and khrome werks. What sort of torque and horsepower should I expect from this setup? no head work, nobody does it around here.

Secondly what would a .032 cometic gasket do for my compression and what would the gain be in torque and horsepower ?

I must mention that 91 octain is mostly all we see around here in Nova Scotia. Thank you, this site is very helpfull!

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
You need the Cometic gasket. It does marginally increase CR and the tighter squish band helps to reduce the possibility of detonation.

The more compression, up to about 9.6 or so the better these cams work. You will not get there with stock heads. If you were just to flycut the heads to where the combustion chamber has 82 cc's (somewhere around .020 - .030" depending on the actual cc's of the heads in question) you would be right there. Anyone with a mill can do that.

I would guess TQ in the mid to high 90's and HP anywhere the very high 70's to mid 80's if you do as above.
If you just slap it together with stock heads and gaskets it will feel weak in the low midrange. The dyno numbers might be close but it will not have anywhere as nice a curve.

·
Registered
91 Posts
along with the gasket question HIPPO, do you have a preference between the Crane HTC-310 cams and the Andrews TW37b's?

thanks.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
We just have not had the chance to use Crane (and a few other) cams.

I can look at the part# tomorrow.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I wanted to get the torque lower in my normal range, 1500-5500. the crane HTC310 states this particular RPM range.

I'm having my cylinders bored to 95" with SE flat tops with either andrews or crane as my cam selection. I'm trying to do my homework to choose the right cam for me as I can only afford to do this once (read:wife).

I want the cam to perform well enough with the stock heads with the idea that next winter I'll get a set of your vortec heads, HIPPO.

I've read posts that the .030 Cometic gaskets are recommended. Hopefully I can get a part number to my shop to get all the parts. Does it look like I'm headed in the right direction??

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
The .030 gasket is not a Mo Co reconmended size for motors that see alot of H-way miles. For the weekend worrier / racer types its the way to go. Drag racers would prefer the copper type so they can be reused after a tear down.
Personaly I like the S/E gasket. Its a .042 thickness, and you will hardley miss the .15 differance in CR over the .030 more so for the mild motor build. Do alot of long rides and I feel its the gasket of choice.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Forgot to look up the gasket, maybe I remember tomorrow.

These things work better when done once. You can either wait until you are ready, pick up a cheap used cam that will work with a stock 95" and run it for a season or ultimately live with a compromise. To some extent you are already planning on doing things twice.
My personal approach would be to wait and do it all at once, but to me it's no big thing to ride a stock bike for a while.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
If it isn't clear, once you have the tank, the pipes and all the other junk off the bike any of these jobs is more then half done.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Hippo, I have a friend who works a CNC machine. He said he could mill my heads .020-.025" easy and for free. I'm sure this would be wise for me to do now based on your advice.

With milled heads, do you think I would be disappointed without getting the fully reworked heads?

I came into a little money and want to do as much as I can but the additional cost for reworked heads puts me over what the wife will let me spend. The cash is burning a hole in my pocket, for sure.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
We have done a number of bikes with our kits and without ported heads, just the stock heads with minimal cleanup and milled to the chamber volume we want. The customers are extremely happy.

Sure the dyno can tell the difference, but for street riding it is a very good way to go when you do not want to invest a lot of money in the engine. I would wager that many riders would not really be able to tell the difference unless they specifically went looking for it. I was very surprised at the feel of the bikes when we did the first one, and we have done a wagonload of them now.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I'm wondering if these heads would be a good investment. I know four valves per cyl. improves volumetric efficiency but I'm wondering what effect it has on the lower half of the engine. I saw them in Daytona a couple months ago. It changes the engine exhaust noise too. Real smooth power sound.

http://www.bikerrogue.com/4-valve_power.htm

·
Registered
91 Posts
I talked to Charlie yesterday. He recommended .025" on my 2000 heads and said results would be good.

Kags replied in this thread that Cometic gaskets are for street crusing and not highway. Is this right? I take trips on my bike.

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
buxndos said:
I talked to Charlie yesterday. He recommended .025" on my 2000 heads and said results would be good.

Kags replied in this thread that Cometic gaskets are for street crusing and not highway. Is this right? I take trips on my bike.
Kags was talking about gasket thickness. What did Charlie recommend for gasket thickness? I'm sure Hippo could also tell you.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Ed, Charlie told me the .030 cometics were the way to go and he offers them in their gasket kit. These combined with the .025 mill off the head would make 9.6:1 CR.

This sounds great but I want to make sure I can take a trip with these gaskets.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
If you go to the troble of polishing the chambers & tops of the pistons the carbin issue may not be as bad.

With the .030 run your bike rich for one 1000 mile trip and you could end up the the (what I call) carbin pinch vibbes. Its easy to get .030 of build up in the squish area, more so with bad gas, if your deck is near the top when the piston squishes the carbin it yeald a added vibration to your motor. Most folks dont worry about it and the motor kind of "self cleans" but after years of a bad combnation your looking at a chance of bigger problems. I dont recomend the use of .030's for motors that will see alot of miles and no plans for upgrades latter.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
020" to 025" is in the ballpark, ideally you would cc the chambers and then determine how much to cut and end up with 82 cc chambers, this with the Cometics and the big bore at 0 deck height will give you 9.6 CR

We have not seen a problem yet running .032" squish and most of the bikes we do are touring bikes. Before the gaskets were available it was common practice to spin drop the heads using stock gaskets. Same thing you still run .032 squish.
HQ still spin drops their heads so it is obvious we are not the only ones with this experience.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Use the .030" gaskets to improve the squish and turbulance in the chamber. This will improve combustion efficiency and actually reduce the chance of encountering detonation.
I'd go with the Andrews cams.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Hippo, I think I am beginning to understand with your help, thanks. One more quick question on this thread and next week I'll call for parts.

These will be going in a 2000 Fatboy, and I weigh 240lbs. The Crane HTC-310 cams I was looking at state a duration from 236-242 for stock compression up to 9.5:1. RPM range 1500-5000. We were talking about a 9.6:1 ratio.

The Crane HTC-316 has duration from 242-252 for compression up to 10.1:1. RPM range 1800-5500.

Does higher compression make the HTC-316 not fall on its face until the cams come on? Or is it still a better choice to go for the lower end cam even with a CR higher than what is recommended for the cam by Crane?

Thanks.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts