V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
435 Posts
Both the SE and cometic are coated metallic layers. One will last as long as the other. I suspect the SE is .060 to prevent liability claims from some bozo crashing his pistons into his valves because he bought parts out of a catalog with no real research or knowledge. A .060 gasket is WAY too thick. Talk about quench clearance. The cometics are fine if that's the thickness you want. Did you know the multi-layer metallics usually have maybe a .010 or .020 thick base metal wafer with identical .010 embossed layers on either side to achieve the desired thickness? If you have a .050 thick cometic and want a .040 just drill out the rivet and peel out a layer. You'll see what I mean. Just make sure to leave at least one embossed layer on either side. THis is not probably endorsed by cometic but I've done it and I could see absolutely no difference between the embossed metal layers.

Also, cometic specifies a level of surface finish for head and cyl surfaces. Don't recall what they recommend, but how many guys can recognize the difference between a 120 Rz finish and a 250 Rz finish? I doubt most guys know which is smoother, the higher or lower number. So follow the cometic instructions and you'll be OK I think. If you don't want to follow their directions stick with paper and plastic.

Chilly

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.