V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Banned
871 Posts
kslg said:
I suggested using the 'ol cometic .030 to my engine builder. He said that he wouldn't use a thinner gasket because of potential for gasket failure. He said the SE stock thickness gasket would last longer.

Has anyone heard of a problem long term?

Also, I assume I can use the stock pushrod with the .030 gasket?
Cometics are fine, unless you plan on running it for a few hundred thou before tearing down the top end... not likely. ;)

·
Banned
871 Posts
Chilly said:
Also, cometic specifies a level of surface finish for head and cyl surfaces. Don't recall what they recommend, but how many guys can recognize the difference between a 120 Rz finish and a 250 Rz finish? I doubt most guys know which is smoother, the higher or lower number. So follow the cometic instructions and you'll be OK I think. If you don't want to follow their directions stick with paper and plastic.

Chilly
You could always use a surface roughness gauge to check the finish.... but who has one of those in their toolbox?? I used one as a QA inspector, but have never used it outside of work.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.