25152-00 SE 211 Cam Kit
37952-98a SE Performance Clutch Kit

Labor 15 Hours

$3,016.08

·
Registered
305 Posts
Praetorian,

Boy, where to start. You asked if this would be a good upgrade. Yes it probably would run strong, but you might want to reconsider your cam choice.

15 hours labor seems pretty high to me, like double the time it takes to do this. Also, why do you think you need the SE heads?

Do some searching on here for these topics to gain some info. If you are the least bit mechanically inclined, you could save yourself a bundle.

Give some of the guys that do the machine work a call (like Short Block Charlie) to get their opinions - they build lots and lots of big bore bikes and know what works.

I wouldn't think you would have to spend half of that quote to get something that would really put a smile on your face.

·
EvilMonger
8,793 Posts
do a search on short block charlie, he has a hop up at less than half that with great results. What are you looking for ??? Better two up performance, bar hopping, bragging rights on HP TQ ???

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i know where you are coming from.
thanks for the comments cold rider.

the cam is a non issue the SE cam kits run the same price
no matter which you choose.

i am some what mechanically inclined but i could not handle this kind of a job.
for one thing i don't have the tools for it... :)

i don't have alot of experience with bike so that is why i am asking for opinions

i want to take off the line and be able to cruise at 55 or 65 with out the bike sounding like it needs another gear....

my opinion is there no replacement for displacement..

and i want BALLS! no funnies now!

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
Mark:

You think it's time me and you consider a short ride to Arizona and SBC's to get the Scotsman hop-up done. I think I could go for that.

·
EvilMonger
8,793 Posts
I'm alredy 1550 but I wouldn't mind a head massage, cam change. Never been to Arizona, would like to do a ride like that. I am in limbo right now with pending surgery, Daytona may not be possible, but I am going to try, if I go I may visit Miss.?????

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
Mark:
Forgot you're at 1550. Hope the surgery works out and we see you at Daytona. Visit here anytime is fine with us.

·
EvilMonger
8,793 Posts
Thanks, chances are I'll be there. I don't think I'm going to have the surgery until after Daytona. First apointment with the surgeon is February 4, surgery ??????? Don't want to screw up my summer so I'll take it as soon as I can !!!!

·
Premium Member
380 Posts
I had similar work done. Went with the 257 cam, and didn't do the clutch kit. The dealer told me the book quote on the job was 12 hours. Didn't quite get tagged for that, but that's what the list said.

I spent a little more than that, but had a new ignition, and carb at the same time.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ya know the ***** of this whole thing is i don't even know what horse power or/and torque i will get.....no numbers with combination.

·
Premium Member
529 Posts
Praetorian said:
this is what i got a quote for.... not sure about what cam to get
so i picked the 211 let me know if this would be a good upgrade or not Thanks

harley part numbers....

16546-99 1550 Conversion Kit
16952-99a Kit TC88 Perf Heads b
17052-99a Gasket Kit
17997-99a Quick Install Push Rods
22868-00 SE TC88 1550 Pistons
25152-00 SE 211 Cam Kit
37952-98a SE Performance Clutch Kit

Labor 15 Hours

$3,016.08

My dealer is running 2 special on the 1550 Conversion.. Here's the link..

http://www.bergenharleydavidson.com/cgi-bin/dealerupdatecenter/view.cgi?id=14&type=specials

Only over here in NJ..

Just my 2c.. :)

Charlie

·
Registered
153 Posts
I don't mean to offend anyone but these prices are HIGH! I use an independent wrench who has done lots of 95 upgrades and the cost is @ 1500.00 - 1900.00 if you want a new carb. I have a 99 FXDWG with S/E high comp pistons, have heads redone with larger valves and new springs, cillinder bored to match pistons, cams with 570 lift and 10.5 :1 compression. Pushrods and ignition included. Please check around.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i have and it seems that alot of the east coast wrenches around my way want to charge me more....

so with that in mind i might have to take a road trip to SBC or even somewhere else if i don't see a price i like locally

·
Premium Member
1,394 Posts
Just an FYI.
I just did the 1550 conversion with a local independant HD-HP shop in PA
- 10.5 - 1 forged dome top weisco pistons
- cylander bored and pistons fit
- Dimensional ported heads with multi angle seat job and light massage oversized SS valves (Coated exhaust valve), high lift HP springs
- FULL set of top end cometic gaskets
- Trade in cost $960.00 (includes 50 mile and 100 mile checkup less oil change at 100)
- He took about 1.5 hrs chatting with me as I took notes cause I did the kit install myself. (I have the tools and made the ones I did'nt in my shop)
- I already had the Crane fireball Hi4-TC ignition ($200.00 at a swap meet)
- He is installing the Andrews TW55 cams (bolt in) for me on Thursday $335.00 installed with new bearings.
- He quoted me $275.00 labor if he did all the work but I enjoy doing all my own. (therapy LOL)
Shop around and dont be afraid to chat with the local shops. If the are any good, they will "invest" in a discussion.
Or perhaps order the Scottsman hop up from SBC and have your local wrench consult with Charlie and install for you.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
I like it. I had my stage one done by my dealer because !) didn't know anything about the local shops. I do use one for certain stuff but they are not really up to speed on a new bike w/ efi. 2) Still have warranty (and have used it 3)The dealer I used has been here for as long as i remember 4) unlike many here I like the idea of using all MoCo parts
5) Dealer is close by.

I would agree you could get work done cheaper. Sometimes thats good, sometimes its just deferring the costs. Personally, i don't do any of my own maintenance, not good at it, don't like it (wish I did).

I am not against using a local shop as long as they have all the up to date stuff (electronics, dyno, etc). The ones I found did not. jmho.

ps, based on my experience, you are going to LOVE the performance increase!

·
Registered
130 Posts
Preatorian. I see you are in Lansdale. I just finished having my work done at TK's

I had Short block Charlie do the heads, bore the cylinders and fit the pistons. Tracy did the install and swapped in the TW37 cams. The whole job came in at less than $2000.

Ping me offline if you want any more details.

Ken

·
Premium Member
1,552 Posts
Had a similar build done at Baer H-D in Honesdale, PA. The price was similar as well. I went SE 257 cams, hi-comp forged pistons, roller rockers,and SE 6200 RPM ign. Otherwise same as your intentions sans clutch upgrade. Expensive but you're gonna love the grin factor. Expect to replace the rear tire more frequently!

SS

·
Registered
33 Posts
Just got my parts in for 1550 upgrade, went with se-204 cams, I got the cams, cyclinders, pistons, cam kit for $591 got a 20% discount dealer said the labor would be about $675 -9 hrs plus clutch spring. I've already got the stage I with Thunderheaders 2in1 pipes. After my 1000 mi break in I'm getting a PC-IIIr and dyno remap. My question is how will it run without the PC during the break in time? Any advice...

·
Registered
150 Posts
Praetorian - I just had major upgrades done - heads ported and polished,injection bored out , T-header pipes, PCIIIr, cams (get the 257 cams if your getting the head work done) 4 dynos @ 3 runs each etc... paid around $3000. The labor was 10 hours. Also had this done on my wifes low rider and the labor was under 10 hours. You should be getting 20% on parts and i would ask for a discount on the labor. My dealer was happy to do it but we buy alot there. You will love the power and it is important.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts