V-Twin Forum banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Check Sons of Sam MC more up in Central ny but maybe it would be worth exploring a chapter option donw your way.

·
moved on
13,396 Posts
Actually, Vietnam ERA Vets (really only 9,087,000).

9,087,000 military personnel served on active duty during the Vietnam Era (5 August 1965-7 May 1975).

8,744,000 personnel were on active duty during the war (5 August 1964-28 March 1973).

3,403,100 (including 514,300 offshore) personnel served in the SE Asia Theater (Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia, flight crews based in Thailand and sailors in adjacent South China Sea waters).

2,594,000 personnel served within the borders of South Vietnam
( I January 1965 - 28 March 1973).

Another 50,000 men served in Vietnam between 1960 and 1964.

Of the 2.6 million, between 1 and 1.6 million (40-60%) either fought in combat, provided close combat support or were at least fairly regularly exposed to enemy attack.

7,484 women served in Vietnam, of whom 6,250 or 83.5% were nurses.

Peak troop strength in Vietnam was 543,482, on 30 April 1969.
http://www.mrfa.org/vnstats.htm
I was one of the 514,300.
but 13 million claiming they are vets who aren't?
With the way they were welcomed home, there were a lot of vets returning from VN back then who felt they needed to deny being a vet.

·
glodigger
442 Posts
My hats off to any one who signed the blank check for the time and possibley their life.
The luck of the draw is all that differs from one or another during any conflict.
Being in combat gives some of us a bit differant out look on life.
I dont think it make you all that fun to be with so why try to join if your in question of whether you belong are fit in the first place.

You signed the check and are welcome to ride with me any day of the week. good luck

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
What county are you in? I am in Orange(middletown).

If your close, you can ride with us, no strings attached..
goshen and newburgh i have two separate domiciles. thanks for the invite appreciate it.

as for the thread, no sweat seriously i just wanted the criteria, i don't really care one way or another at all. after taking time to think i would only wear a patch from a true MC and i'm too busy for that right now and apparently live in no mans land between NYC and albany where there are few clubs, so i'll just ride, it's worked for me for over a decade.

·
Registered
189 Posts
FYI those that are not combat vets can join the CVMA. just as a support member. I am a support member. I ride with them just like regular members, I just cannot vote. I was not one of the few from our base that was sent to the sandbox. My 214 does say I served in support of desert storm. I do concider myself a persion gulf veteran.

Tim

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have been a member of the CVMA for over three years now and was a Chapter Commander for almost 2.

I will say, much like other groups, each chapter has it own "personality" and focus. And although the CVMA motto is "Vets Helping Vets", you will find many others with similar mindsets.

After riding for many years what I can say is that almost every Veteran based MC, RC, Assn, etc. has really good people and really good ideals.

The best advice I would offer you (humbly speaking) is just to get out and ride with a couple of groups in your area. Do not be too quick to join, get to know the guys and allow them to get to know you - because when all the smoke clears (missions, dues, bikes, hangouts, and so on) if you are not close with the guys to your left and right while riding you will not be happy!

Good luck with your search and I hope you find a place where you will not only hear the words "Welcome Home" but feel like a true "Brother" who has come home.

- SM

·
Thanks! I needed that.
3,261 Posts
Babalu, you can check out the U.S. Military Vets MC here. I'm certain one of their members would be more than happy to discuss your questions and concerns with you.

There are both former and active duty members and combat experience is not a criteria. My late brother was a member and I know a number of the members. There definitely worth consideration.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Freedom - your choice

Just my two cents. .

I am a Marine Vietnam combat vet. I ran into a Vietnam veterans mc club several years ago that was "looking for members". After hearing their format, complete with "prospecting" I shunned them. Why? After Vietnam, I dont need to prove my self or my commitment to ANYONE! That's just me.

You wanna be an "outlaw"? Be one! It aint the patch that makes you one and there are plenty of true outlaw clubs out there.

·
Premium Member
291 Posts
Evanb,
Don't know who you "looked" at, respect your reasons. For me, I'm get'n old and wanted to make the connection with Brothers who served during that time, Brothers who ride and remember. Kind'a like comin' full circle, and it feel's good.
Want to say "Welcome Home Marine" and "Semper Fi".
Dutch
VOVMC/NOMAD
RVN 66/67
USMC
www.thevovmc.com

DSC01390 by VOVMC/NOMAD, on Flickr

·
Registered
189 Posts
Well I am looking at leaving CVMA. the reason is that a support member is a 3rd class member, we have no say and seem to have less respect than the auxiliary ( full member spouses) When a non service member gets more respect than a ex military member something is wrong. That is by ex military members. I wore my colors with pride but being treated as I was, even at the national meeting. I seemed snubbed, by being a support member.

Tim

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Cute topic and interesting posts.
When Dave & me got out of the truck to pee and bullets ruffled our shirts as we heard those near misses change pitch.
Joe yelled: "Get down you idiots! They are shooting at us!"
Laying in the tall grass, Dave wuz praying.
I slapped him and screamed: "It ain't God shooting at us! Shoot back!"
We did until they stopped shooting.
THAT wuz not combat because, unknown to us we had crossed the border into Cambodia and thus "we were not there"....
(No big sign saying: "Now leaving Vietnam, entering Cambodia)

4 dozen years I have dealt with those who have a DD-214 to wave in our faces.

Good on you veterans with that "RVN" DD-214.
I thank you for your service to our country.
Took 35 years for our guv to admit I wuz there: "OS: RVN" on the records they mailed me in 2005

I remember a guy at a Vet Center who interrupted my account of the highlands with:
"That whole country is nuthing' but swamps and rice paddies!" Called me a liar for speaking of the highlands.

Vet Center Veterans' Advocate told me: "Neither you nor anyone else was in Cambodia prior to April of 1970."

I've lain on a stretcher with my intestines in my hands....guys who never got a scratch try to lord it over me.

Ain't trying to make friends. Just to present a reality.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Does dodging bullets and RPG's count? If so, then I qualify. Also have the CAR with the rest of the turnip patch of ribbons(DD-214 certified). All the guy is looking for is a brotherhood to join. Agree that he may not realize what that means to the fullest extent, but that's what prospecting and probating is all about. Have met a lot of people that belong to Vets MC clubs that think their stuff don't stink, also have met a lot more that were true to their colors. Bottom line is that if you want to join a club, you've got to meet the qualifications, for the Combat Veterans, you need to show proof that you were in combat (it's no big deal cause it will be reflected on your DD-214), for other clubs it's different. You have clubs for LEO's, Nam Veterans, etc, etc. Each club has it's own qualifications and unless you meet those, there's not much sense in trying to apply. Just my 2 cents worth.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
... you've got to meet the qualifications, for the Combat Veterans, you need to show proof that you were in combat (it's no big deal cause it will be reflected on your DD-214), .... Just my 2 cents worth.
Korean and Nam vets got no CIB's nor 214 recognition for covert
"not legally authorized" missions.
Clubs, so called outlaw clubs, took me on my ability to back up my bs with more than a piece of paper.
Till I refused to patch over and became a loner in the early 70's.

·
Premium Member
269 Posts
Even though I took part in the engagement, my unit did not receive a CAR until after I was discharged. It is not included on my DD214 but was sent to me on NAVPERS 1650/96 after I was a civilian. Is this a problem?

·
Registered
899 Posts
baggerman understands it, it is very simple, just requirements that need to be met for membership reguardless of M/C

·
Registered
9 Posts
I am a Life Member of the CVMA, and I have only witnessed a support member being treated poorly once, and that was quickly put to an end. We are all family if we served this Nation, regardless of whether we were lucky enough to squeeze the trigger in combat or not. If your DD214 reflects that you were in combat, then you can join as a full member. If not, you may join as a support member, although there are stipulations on the percentage of full members to support members. Like any group of people, we have pricks that probably never did anything, but like to pretend that they have. If you are a combat veteran, I would recommend that you contact the nearest Chapter or State Rep (via the website https://www.combatvet.org/index.asp) in order to learn more about our organization. We do have strict rules on membership, which is to be expected of any group.

·
Registered
1 Posts
i've been interested in riding with a group lately and was looking for a veteran centered riding group. i was wondering what the qualifications for CVMA was? i have two deployments in the Marines to the middle east prior to the recent war in iraq and afghanistan, two armed forces expeditionary medals which qualified me for the VFW which i joined three years ago but moved and fell behind on my dues. i wrote my old post to see if i could get current and transfer posts to my new location.

anyway not sure if i would qualify for the CVMA and figured someone here could offer advice, thanks!
A Dd214, and a Combat Vet member look up the CVMA online for your state

21 - 40 of 40 Posts