V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i've been interested in riding with a group lately and was looking for a veteran centered riding group. i was wondering what the qualifications for CVMA was? i have two deployments in the Marines to the middle east prior to the recent war in iraq and afghanistan, two armed forces expeditionary medals which qualified me for the VFW which i joined three years ago but moved and fell behind on my dues. i wrote my old post to see if i could get current and transfer posts to my new location.

anyway not sure if i would qualify for the CVMA and figured someone here could offer advice, thanks!

·
Banned
1,588 Posts
Don't know anything about the CVMA so I can't help you there but you might want to look into the Viet Nam Legacy Vets MC... Qualifications are your DD214, hang around time, if sponsored by a Patch Holder after your hang around time, prospect for 6 months... They are not a 1% club but they are an outlaw club :)... They do not run the 1% patch on their cuts... They accept both combat and non combat alike... It's the oldest and biggest vet MC in the country...

·
Registered
899 Posts
i am currently a member of the C.V.M.A. we have a webb site. just googgle combat vets association. You have verify you were in actual combat to be a member via dd-214 , I.E. C.A.R. or C.I.B. P/H ETC. or air medal and ride 500 cc bike or bigger I belong to chapter 22, weare not a 1% club it started out with a m/c patch but was done away with, years ago, We are a member of the c.o.c.. however
.combatvets association

·
Premium octane member
7,381 Posts
Babalu, where in the Hudson Valley are you?

There are a few Chapters of the Nam Knights in the area you would qualify for.
Hudson Valley Chapter is in Rockland
Lost Chapter orange county
Souther tier chapter based out of sydney
eagle chapter in sullivan county

·
Registered
899 Posts
wardogs here in Pa, are getting stronger, they consist of a lot of gulf war vets, I believe they have a webb site also

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for the responses. at this point in my life i don't think i could commit to a true MC. i have a 9 to 5, mortgage, wife, and young kids so unfortunately i wouldn't be able to give an MC enough of my time. i respect going that route and maybe if i were 10 years younger.

i was looking into the Combat Vets Motorcycle Association because the VFW didn't have any riding chapters anywhere near me.

i didn't think you needed an actual CAR or Puprle Heart to be in the Combat Vets Motorcycle Association. i was under the impression if you qualify for the VFW by possessing one of these, you qualify for C.V.M.A:

"If you have received a campaign medal for overseas service; have served 30 consecutive or 60 non-consecutive days in Korea; or have ever received hostile fire or imminent danger pay, then you're eligible to join our ranks."

I have a couple of those, two armed forces expeditionary medals for operation desert thunder and operation desert fox 1998-2003, and i've recieved imminent danger pay several times while deployed.

maybe CVMA is different but i thought those were about the same qualifications.

Thanks Again!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Many members of M/Cs have 9-5 jobs, wives, kids and mortgages. Reality is much different from media.
no i understand that, but during the prospect phase i'm not certain how all that would work out. once in i'm sure you can have your time, but i would imagine during the prospect period it would be very difficult to manage your responsibilities and dedicate 100% to the club. if i were younger without the responsibilities it would be right up my alley.

·
Registered
899 Posts
No you dont need a purple heart, you need to have verified combat service a purple heart does indicate you were in combat though (obviously) it was given as one example, but a C.I.B. or C.A.R. or A/M. is required by DD-214 to get in to the C.V.M.A those are the only ways to get in, Thats why it called "the combat vet. association" A expeditionary medal wont do it and proof of immenant danger pay wont do it either, sorry On the web site under bylaws, article 3 reads what is required proof to be a full member

·
FNG :)
1,587 Posts
no i understand that, but during the prospect phase i'm not certain how all that would work out. once in i'm sure you can have your time, but i would imagine during the prospect period it would be very difficult to manage your responsibilities and dedicate 100% to the club. if i were younger without the responsibilities it would be right up my alley.
Unless it is a 1% club, almost all other clubs will certainly allow for home life. Very few if any non 1% clubs require the type of commitment you are referring to.

·
moved on
13,396 Posts
i am currently a member of the C.V.M.A. we have a webb site. just googgle combat vets association. You have verify you were in actual combat to be a member via dd-214 , I.E. C.A.R. or C.I.B. P/H ETC. or air medal and ride 500 cc bike or bigger I belong to chapter 22, weare not a 1% club it started out with a m/c patch but was done away with, years ago, We are a member of the c.o.c.. however.
www.combatvets.org
thanks for the link, I was dumbstruck with what I read there, 13 million asswipes claiming to be VN vets. This country needs a reboot.
I can't claim combat status because I was on a carrier launching planes to help you.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
No you dont need a purple heart, you need to have verified combat service a purple heart does indicate you were in combat though (obviously) it was given as one example, but a C.I.B. or C.A.R. or A/M. is required by DD-214 to get in to the C.V.M.A those are the only ways to get in, Thats why it called "the combat vet. association" A expeditionary medal wont do it and proof of immenant danger pay wont do it either, sorry On the web site under bylaws, article 3 reads what is required proof to be a full member
thanks for the info, i read the CVMA site before posting here, in article 3 of the bylaws it states:

"Who is a Veteran of a Foreign War, "Combat". "

i'm a member of the VFW and by thier standards i meet the requirements for a veteran of a foriegn war. i don't see any other requirement under those bylaws specifically a CAR etc...

if i don't meet the requirements it's cool i'll ride solo for a bit longer, just trying to feel out the requirements as the bylaws are very vague. but by the military standards an armed forces expeditionary medal and imminent danger pay qualifies one as a combat vet.

·
Registered
899 Posts
You didnt show all the rest of the sentence either. Yes it states that, it means you have to be a veteran of a war on foreign soil who was in combat, it also states it must be verified by the dd-214, if you have it documented on the required document then go ahead and apply with your dd-214 you will be accepted and welcomed , If you dont have it on your dd-214 you will be denied Its that simple, but try anyhow and se

and for the vfw you stated you have exped, medals 2 of them, that meets one of the vfw requirements for memberships, they dont require combat to be a determining factor to join, Yes you can be in a foreign war and not be in combat,

Our by laws are very simple and clear, we have many chapters in every state thousands of members who understand the guideline for membership, your state has three chapters and on the application page for your state on the C.V.M.A. site there is a email add.as well as the state reps phone number, call Kevin and ask Its pretty simple, Im not trying to sound smart but If you dont believe, call him and send him your app and copy of dd-214.

Here are our membership requirements

ARTICLE 3 : MEMBERSHIP
Definitions
The term "Good Standing" shall be defined as any person who has fulfilled the requirements for membership in the Combat Veterans Motorcycle Association, who is not currently under disciplinary review or probationary status for disciplinary reasons, who has paid the necessary dues and conformed to the requirements as set forth in these bylaws.

Section 1
Any person:

1. Of good character.
2. Who is a Veteran of a Foreign War, "Combat".
3. The ONLY Acceptable proof for membership to the Combat Veterans Motorcycle Association is a copy of one's DD 214 or ERB which must be surrendered to the BOD for verification.
4. Annual dues of $20 will be assessed effective March 1, 2010 for all Full Members (Combat Veterans) and $10 for Support Members (non-combat veterans). Dues for CVMA members deployed in a war zone will be waived. Dues for all members are payable by June 30th of each year. Dues for all new members joining between January 1st and June 30th will be considered as paid in full for the balance of the current dues year and the following dues year. Dues for new members joining between July 1st and December 31st will be for the current dues year only.
5. Must own and operate a Motorcycle of 500cc or above.
6. Should a full member resign they will be given a 5 day grace period to rescind their resignation with no repercussions. After the 5 day grace period a member will have to re-apply for membership as a new member and will require BOD approval.
7. Active members in good standing with the CVMA who become infirm, disabled or otherwise unable to ride their motorcycles will be able to keep their patch and be retired as members in good standing with the CVMA. Members must submit medical documentation and a minimum of one year as a member and/or BOD approval is required.
8. Life members, if for health reasons can no longer ride can at their discretion, remain members in good standing with full voting privileges and can keep their patch.
9. Life membership requirements: 3 years active in the CVMA. Member must be in good standing for all three years and minimum participation of one sanctioned CVMA event per year is required. One of which must be a National meeting. Cost for life membership is $150 and will be $200 effective March 1, 2010. If a life member quits for any reason or the member is removed from the CVMA rolls for any reason, no refunds will be made

Pretty simple good luck

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
TIMTOOLMAN

i think you got me me pegged wrong, don't get heated, just asking for some simple clarification. what validates "combat"? that's it, the bylaws are vague and i was looking for clarification. my DD214 states multiple armed forces expeditionary medals and imminent danger pay, this qualifies me for the legion and vfw. i wanted to know if it qualifies me for C.V.M.A. also.

this is the only part i wanted clarification on as i've heard/read contradictary information online:

2. Who is a Veteran of a Foreign War, "Combat".

just trying to guage what that means as it's a bit vague. i sent an email haven't heard back yet, there was no phone number to call or i would have.

i don't qualify cool, i'll put along on my own or with a few buddies until something else comes my way. i only looked into them because of my vfw affiliation and veteran status and there aren't many veteran associations or clubs in my area.

·
Registered
899 Posts
haaa haaa haaaa that funny like I make up the rules, I just posted them gor those of you that have a reading comprehension problems

We have many s/f and real rangers too and stuff wow, and go ahead and poke fun at the CVMA, do you even know what we really do? I dont think you do. The CVMA takes care of vets in veterans homes state and private ones, we visit the sick ones on holidays, Give out gifts do benefit rides to raise money and just visit them to brighten up their holidays and help them not to feel forgotten as many have been, Lots of them have no families and Yes it can be exclusive to be a member because of the higher criteria, but then their arent any wanna be's with us either proclaiming to be veterans as many do even forum sites. Not much worse than stolen honor Maybe you arent what we are looking for anyhow, Can you handle shaking a stump where the hand used to be with a vet in a wheel chair and saying welcome home, we missed you, anything i can do for you?????? Or even a wwll vet and just listen to him and give him some quality time? And make him feels his contribution and efforts werent forgotton, Or the vietnaum homless vets ????? No I dont think you are for us then, Yeah we have a colorful cool patch we wear on our backs and the colors have a significant meaning Its not just to wear in public and say look at me, go to the vfw and leigon and ride with other ones. we will be doing just fine

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
thanks Ed i'm kind of new to the area just starting to look around now. i have a couple friends i ride with, it's no big deal, feeling sorry i asked to be honest.

·
Registered
624 Posts
thanks for the link, I was dumbstruck with what I read there, 13 million asswipes claiming to be VN vets. This country needs a reboot.
I can't claim combat status because I was on a carrier launching planes to help you.
Actually, Vietnam ERA Vets (really only 9,087,000).

9,087,000 military personnel served on active duty during the Vietnam Era (5 August 1965-7 May 1975).

8,744,000 personnel were on active duty during the war (5 August 1964-28 March 1973).

3,403,100 (including 514,300 offshore) personnel served in the SE Asia Theater (Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia, flight crews based in Thailand and sailors in adjacent South China Sea waters).

2,594,000 personnel served within the borders of South Vietnam
( I January 1965 - 28 March 1973).

Another 50,000 men served in Vietnam between 1960 and 1964.

Of the 2.6 million, between 1 and 1.6 million (40-60%) either fought in combat, provided close combat support or were at least fairly regularly exposed to enemy attack.

7,484 women served in Vietnam, of whom 6,250 or 83.5% were nurses.

Peak troop strength in Vietnam was 543,482, on 30 April 1969.
http://www.mrfa.org/vnstats.htm

·
Premium Member
1,972 Posts
Babalu, If you've got a decent American Legion post in your area, you may find a "riding club" there. All manner of vets in them.
Call the closest American Legion Post and ask them if they have a Legion Riders group. If not them, I'm sure one close by does. I think you may find what you are looking for. Good group.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts