V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ride year round and I’ve noticed that my 04 Heritage doesn’t want to go into 2nd gear on cold mornings. I start it up and let it warm up for about 1-2 minutes but it is still hard shifting for the first mile or so. My first mile speed does not go over 25 mph or 2nd/3rd gear. Today was probably in the low 20’s and it was hard shifting.

Is there anything I should do, besides letting it warm up longer? Could this be signs of some problem, can this harm the trans?

GC

·
Registered
260 Posts
Heavy gear oil?

We put the outriggers down on our backhoes so the wheels can spin in gear to warm up the differentials each morning. The gear oil is almost a solid when the temp is below freezing.

Perhaps a lighter tranny lube is the answer. I run 20W-50 in my SuperGlide during winter rides. Even this takes a while to warm up but all the gears work.

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
I left the lower unit of my hydroplanes motor in the water one winter as a kid and then the lake froze over. I couldn't get the engine to turn over til spring.

·
2005 Road King Classic
2,649 Posts
SJHSC said:
I ride year round and I’ve noticed that my 04 Heritage doesn’t want to go into 2nd gear on cold mornings. I start it up and let it warm up for about 1-2 minutes but it is still hard shifting for the first mile or so. My first mile speed does not go over 25 mph or 2nd/3rd gear. Today was probably in the low 20’s and it was hard shifting.

Is there anything I should do, besides letting it warm up longer? Could this be signs of some problem, can this harm the trans?

GC
There is a good change you have condensation/water in your transmission. Try draining a little of the oil from it at a slow rate. Water should come out first and then oil. Once you see oil. Plug it back up. Check oil level. Add if needed.

Use a synthetic 20W-50 engine oil or better yet a 75W-90 gear oil (which actually has the same viscosity as the 20W-50 engine oil. They just use a different grading system for the two of them). The gear oil will have better protection for extreme pressure that is found in a transmission.

In 40 deg/F or lower the HD manual I have says to be using 10W-40 engine oil in the engine. Are you? I am and have been since end of October.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts