V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
DR EVO
1,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi. i ride my scoot to work (3rd shift) and it has been getting down to 35 degrees lately. i let the bike warm up longer, but i still have to ride with the choke all the way out for at least 4 miles before it quits spitting and bucking. even with the choke all the way out it spits and bucks. do i need to let er warm up for a good 5 minutes (or longer) before taking off? is my jetting off causing it to run poor in the cold, or is it just the nature of the beast. is it ok to let the bike sit there idling for extended periods of time? i have a oil temp dipstick, any certain heat range before taking off? kinda embarrasing when it is bucking like a bronco in traffic.

95 flstc evolution
185 main / 45 slo jet
v&h bigshot longs
runs a tad on rich side

·
Registered
297 Posts
I don't know too much about the newer bikes, but that don't seem right to me. I think you may need to do some re-jetting. Hubby always told me never ride with the "choke" on. I have a 79 Low Rider with an S & S carb. I start the bike with the choke open all the way, once it's started I back it down to a nice idol and before I put it in gear to take off, the choke goes all the way off. I would think that riding with the choke on would foul your plugs.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Mine seems to do the same at a stop, I have a 195 main and a 45 slow with short big shots on an 00 FXSTB. I need to adjust the 'enricher' / choke at a stop light or sign until its warmed up real good. Once I take off from the stop I close it and she seems to run well.

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Should have purchased a Fuel Injected Bike:eek: Just kidding:D

·
Banned
490 Posts
Cool weather woes..

Before you go messing around with the jets on your bike, I'd wait for the weather to get a little colder.

Gasoline companies typically run slightly different formulations depending on the season. I'd bet that they are still selling the "summer" blend of gas in your area - it doesn't really make a lot of difference to most consumers with fuel injection, who rarely start up their vehicles in the small hours when the temps are low. But for folks like you who run carburettors - it can definitely cause the sort of spitting and missing problems you described. Once the gas stations have stocked up on "winter" formulated gas, I'd bet that your cold-starting problems get a lot easier to handle.

·
Registered
686 Posts
It was in the 40's the last couple of mornings and the bike is cold blooded , but the last couple of bikes (Hondas) I had were even worse, I just take it easy until it warms up, but I will ride with the choke partilly out for a while.

·
Registered
127 Posts
otter, how long do you let the bike idle with the choke on before you take off? Maybe you need to wait a little longer? I do the exact same routine as HD girl and it works great for me. Once in a while I don't wait long enough at idle and it spits and sputters a couple times but that's it. 4 miles seems a little long to me.

Kind of unrelated but entertaining nonetheless, a lot of the people around here don't think it's "cool" to use the choke I guess. So everytime I'm at a rally or bike show, when everyone starts leaving half the people are spitting and sputtering and bikes cutting off and I'm sitting there thinking... "too proud to use the choke? Yeah you look a lot less stupid now". <shrug>

·
Premium Member
1,126 Posts
My 01 FLHTC did a similar cold warm up routine. I just never really thought about it much. I would pull the choke wide open, hit the button and push the choke in to a nice idle. Got on it and rode for a few miles then pushed it in.
Brian

·
Banned
5,863 Posts
What's not "cool" is the carbon buildup that results from excessive use of the enrichener circuit. I use it to start a cold engine then back off ASAP. I'd rather live with a few initial sputters than carbon deposits. Sporty Kid, if you're riding a Sportster then you've probably got a true choke...that's different

Dean

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have a 2003 Road King-carb version and have had zero problems running in cold weather. Cold starting, I usually pull out the enricher(choke) all the way and start it up. I let it idle for a minute and drive a mile before pushing in 1/2 way. Drive another mile then push fully in and it runs great. I would check your plugs and replace if needed and also make sure you are using premium gas (92+ octane). Good riding...

·
Registered
159 Posts
No Genius

I hope I can help here but of course I'm no genius. Your carb is good over a certain temperature range due to air density and the ambient temp she was jetted at. No matter how long you let the ole girl warm up, once you start down the road she is gonna be breathing cold air.

Now unless she was jetted in cold air you are probably experiencing a pretty lean condition because cold air is significantly more dense than warm or hot air. Therefore the fuel/air ratio has changed. My bike does the same thing but I ignore it because it is set pretty middle of the road, I'm just crazy that way.

Look at it like this, it runs leaner in cold weather, which means a little hotter when run hard, but the cold air removes more heat when run hard, which means at the end of the ride have a cold one on me and wait for the return of warm weather. An always present old friend here in the south. If it really bothers you though, raise the needle one position and richen the idle mixture 1/4 to 1/2 turn and it will bark like a big dog.

Hope this helps.

Budman

·
Registered
686 Posts
I don't know why but all the bikes I have ever had run better in cool weather like from 50 to 60 , why? I don't know. ride safe rickpoco

1 - 12 of 12 Posts