V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
I prefer mittens myself, been using them for years. Campmor, Cabela's, etc. all have decent winter gloves. Some tend to be too thick so I prefer to try them on first, if at all possible. Sometimes, I also have to get "cuff extenders" added to ensure the glove comes back over the coat sleeve far enough.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
I actually use my Marine Corps millitary issue full leather dress gloves...surprisingly, they're nice and warm (thinsulate liner), however, I am fairly warm blooded. Also, they we're free with an 8 year contract {salute(

Otherwise, you can spend 20 bucks at the local Army-Navy Surplus store. You could probably even try them for a day, and if you didn't like them, take em back and get your money.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Go to firstgear.com and take a look at the Winter Dakota gloves.

Nice leather gloves with wrist gauntlets and thinsulate inside... love mine.

·
Sub Par Member
769 Posts
I just ordered a pair of the Winter Dakotas. They look like just what I've been looking for, as long as the palm's not too thick.

Thanks for the heads up, george248.

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
Nothing against the suggestions from the south but you guys are riding in much different temps than the guy who started the thread in Jersey. You might add what temps they're good at. I have a pair of HD winter gauntlet gloves, last years model, and they're good to around 50 degrees below that after extended period get chilled.

·
Sub Par Member
769 Posts
brownjams said:
Nothing against the suggestions from the south but you guys are riding in much different temps than the guy who started the thread in Jersey.
Good point, brownjams. One of the reasons I was happy about the Winter Dakotas was because they didn't look as heavy as some of the gloves I've looked at. I do live in Florida where the coldest weather I ride in is maybe in the 50's in the dead of winter. I was really looking for a medium to light weight gauntlet glove.

I can't really speak for these gloves as I haven't received them yet, but I will say that if I where riding in a Jersey winter, I probably wouldn't have considered them just based on description and how heavy/light weight they look. Maybe george248 could ellaborate.

·
Registered
428 Posts
HD winter gauntlets take me down to the 40's. I have some REI ski gloves that get me downin the 20's. Colder than that I wear ski mittens.

·
Premium Member
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I took a look at the First Gear Winter Dakota gloves and they look like they'll do. I'm gonna order me a pair and I'll let you all know how they are. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
brownjams said:
Nothing against the suggestions from the south but you guys are riding in much different temps than the guy who started the thread in Jersey. You might add what temps they're good at. I have a pair of HD winter gauntlet gloves, last years model, and they're good to around 50 degrees below that after extended period get chilled.

50 degrees :confused: do you need winter gloves for that :265:

The weather in the south is definitely nice... ride all year... but it does get at least cool (if not cold) at times... For my morning commute it is usually between 30-40 degrees (can get in the teens on the rare occasion). The gloves are fine for that type weather. Any colder for over 30-45 minutes at highway speeds, I think I would have to wimp out and take the cage.:D

·
Sub Par Member
769 Posts
george248 said:
50 degrees :confused: do you need winter gloves for that :265:
:laugh: You do once you've lived in Florida as long as I have. If it gets below 70 deg., I start thinking about putting the heat on.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Snaps said:
:laugh: You do once you've lived in Florida as long as I have. If it gets below 70 deg., I start thinking about putting the heat on.
I was just giving brownjams a hard time :D

My blood is pretty thin too... I will still ride when it's cold but I got to bundle up.

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
george248 said:
I was just giving brownjams a hard time :D

My blood is pretty thin too... I will still ride when it's cold but I got to bundle up.
I have riden in the 40's with them and they were ok, but went around 200 miles and got somewhat chilled. no problem with being :265: I guess that does come off sounding funny though. on that ride it may of been around the upper 30's by the time I was almost home. I guess I'm more of a fair weather rider here in michigan, I like being comfortable.

·
Registered
453 Posts
I bought a set of the HD Windshielder Gauntlet Gloves Wednesday and used them for a ride to my nearest Lowe's, about 25 miles each way. The temp was around 48 and my hands really didn't get cold. Maybe a little bit at the fingertips but not bad enough that it was uncomfortable. I think they would be good for the upper 30's if the rest of my body could take it. They did seem to block the wind like it says they should. First pair of gauntlets I've ever owned and I like them pretty good.

http://www.harley-davidson.com/mcm/...4309040973&bmUID=1133575089734&bmLocale=en_US

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have the First Gear Winter Dakota gloves, but they are only good at temps 40 deg and above. Below 40 my hands get cold after about 15 minutes. They only have 40 grams of thinsulate. They are not bulky, and are very pliable though. Just not meant for real cold weather.

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
Try Cabelas gortex winter gloves with deer skin palms and gauntlets very warm in chicago and only $35

Connor

·
Registered
226 Posts
Connor Mann said:
Try Cabelas gortex winter gloves with deer skin palms and gauntlets very warm in chicago and only $35

Connor

I use them with a pair of silk liners (also from Cabela) and they are good down into the 20's for at least an hour of riding.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts