V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1998 FLHRC-I with a cold start problem, I installed a Power commander 3 USB, true duals with straight pipes, and a A.N. big sucker air cleaner. I have had the bike dyno tuned and the performance is great but the bike will not start cold with out giving a little throttle when it fires on a cold start, after the engine is warmed up it runs/starts fine. Has anyone experienced this problem and if so how did you correct it? :wavey:

·
Registered
17 Posts
cold starts

I had the same thing with my 01 road king, the dealer told me no big deal, if I have to pump the throttle a little before starting cold its not going to hurt anything. He said the straight pipes have something to do with it. But if I want to keep them on, I'll just have to live with it.

·
Registered
243 Posts
bigdan said:
I had the same thing with my 01 road king, the dealer told me no big deal, if I have to pump the throttle a little before starting cold its not going to hurt anything. He said the straight pipes have something to do with it. But if I want to keep them on, I'll just have to live with it.
"pumping the throttle" on a fuel injected vehicle (no accellerator pump) before starting does absolutly nothing to help cold (or hot) start the vehicle.

Sounds like you need the Idle Speed Control (ISC) set properly.

·
Registered
675 Posts
I think he's talking about opening the throttle a bit during starting, not before. This can help an otherwise balky bike to start, but I'd still check the idles.

Ragnar

·
Premium Member
946 Posts
There is a description of how to adjust the cold idle in the service manual. It involves checking the voltage on the throttle position sensor.

·
Registered
378 Posts
BikeMike said:
I have a 1998 FLHRC-I with a cold start problem, I installed a Power commander 3 USB, true duals with straight pipes, and a A.N. big sucker air cleaner. I have had the bike dyno tuned and the performance is great but the bike will not start cold with out giving a little throttle when it fires on a cold start, after the engine is warmed up it runs/starts fine. Has anyone experienced this problem and if so how did you correct it? :wavey:
My '01 Ultra did the same thing. Not all the time, but on and off. Had the thing adjusted many times to no avail. Just one of the niceties of the MM EFI, in my opinion. Would turn the throttle just a little bit and it would fire right up.

·
Arrogant Bastard
1,264 Posts
If you have a PC lll you can have Dynojet activate the start up fuel option. This gives it a little extra fuel during cranking to help with cold starts.

Joe

1 - 9 of 9 Posts