V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I took the coldest ride of my life this morning. I rode to work in 25 degrees. Im sure some of you have ridden in colder weather, but the only reason I did is because im dropping my bike off for warranty work at lunch time. I want to get it done before I put the bike in storage for the winter. Anyway, I was noticing that the shifter felt like it was sticking for the first few miles. Has anyone experienced this in cold weather? Does it go away once the bike is worn in some more (mine only has 1200 miles on it). I noticed it seemed to stick a little last time I rode (at 40 degrees), but it wasn't near as bad. It gets much better the further I ride.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Deuce442......... probably just "cold oil syndrome". It gets better the further you ride 'cuz the oil gets warmer. Big iron (trucks) does the same thing.

Cars are little and smell funny.....dzlfitr

·
Registered
684 Posts
You're lucky that you have EFI. My carb'd bike doesn't care for temps below 35. The weather said it was 42 this morning. The bank sign said it was 34. I believed the bank. It was a cold ride.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was kinda thinking it might just be the cold tranny fluid, but didn't know for sure. This sucks it was suppose to get up to 38 today. I have to leave soon for a 20 mi ride to the dealer, and its still only 28 degrees. brrrrr. Time for some chaps and heated grips.

G

·
Let me officially turn this into an oil thread by stating that my shifts have been smooth even on first start in 35 deg temps ever since I switched to synthetics ... ;)

Also no problems starting or warming up my carbed bike in cold weather since I re-jetted.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Boismier said:
my shifts have been smooth even on first start in 35 deg temps ever since I switched to synthetics ... ;)
Well, im back from dropping the bike off, and I am thawed out enough to type. Are you saying that your shifts didn't use to be smooth before you switched to synthetics, but now they are smooth?

By the way what is the windchill when its 28 degrees and your doing 70 mph?

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
Did it stop sticking after warm up then???

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, its fine when the tranny warms up. I always let the engine warm up before riding, but I suppose that doesn't help any with the tranny.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Lube the Pivot!!

Hell, my '02 FLHT shifted fine when I first got it......then, around 3,000 mi. of so, it started hangin' up.....when ya' put it in a gear, it had to be forced to come to the "detent" position so you could either shift up or down from there......found out it was the pivot point itself that needed lubed.....had to take the shift lever off, put grease in the axle that the shifter hooked onto, and put back on....works great now......
There was even some corrosion starting to build up inside, and there is NO grease zerk, so ya' have to take the shifter lever off to lube it right!!
Check this out, it may not be IN the tranny at all!!

·
Registered
236 Posts
Never noticed any problems when my deuce was cold...down to mid 30's but was going to ask the same question at the other end of the spectrum. Last summer when it was in the 90's and the bike was hot, I noticed that it was a bit harder getting it to shift. I suspected, just oil thinnnig or gears growing...

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
G

·
dzlfitr said:
Hell, it don't really get cold way down south in Ft. Wayne
does it Tom??????
It ain't THAT far south (we do have Krispy Kreme ...). High was 35 yesterday, supposed to get up to 42 today. Not NEARLY as much snow as we had in Michigan though, so if you can stand the cold you don't really have to store your bike. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
903 Posts
I used to have the cold shifter problems but after swithing to synthetics I don't anymore. If you ever changed your own oil you'd see how fluent the synthetic is compared to the regular oil at cold temperatures. Now getting heated jacket liner and gloves is probably a good idea. I have them and ride all winter long.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts