V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone shed some light on the cold oil level compared to hot oil, does the oil expand? The readings i get comparing the two are almost the same. 2002 fhlrci

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Seems like if the oil level is slightly below the center of the normal range on the dipstick when cold, it will be just slightly above full on a fully warmed up bike. This is with synthetic on a touring bike.

The variation seems to be larger with conventional oil which in a way it makes sense as it tends to run higher oil temperature. One would imagine that the determining factor would be oil temperature more then just the bike feeling hot.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hippo,
I have a 2500 mile checkup coming up, would you recommend using the sythetic oils for a 02 Road king Classic. I have heard good things and bad things on thus subject. I used to own a 99 corvette and that's all I ran was Mobile 1 synthetic. I've seen in American Iron magazine the Mobile 1 has v-twin synthetic oil. What do you think? I know this subject is brought up alot, but any info would help. I have noticed a good many of the people on the forum have touring bikes.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
You have to make up your own mind on this.

I switch my bikes over to synthetics after the first 100 or 200 miles, and never had a problem.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Right now I'm running the Mobil1 15W50 automotive oil. Used to run expensive specialty synthetic.

The only thing I don't like to do is to constantly switch oil type and brand, probably just a old habit.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts