V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Time for my first post. I ride my FLHP year round, every day, whether I want to or not. This causes me to ride in cold weather...well not that cold since this is northern Calif. But it is around 35 degrees when I start out at 5am and in the mid 50's when I get back home at 4pm. I suffered for awhile because my gloved hands are out in the slipstream and not protected from the windblast. I was looking for a product that would keep my hands protected from the cold, made colder by the wind chill factor. I found such a product from National Cycle. The hand guards easily mount to the stub ends of the mirrors and the smoked plastic doesn't look too bad. My hands stay warm and comfortable..worthwhile product if you have not tried them.
http://shop.nationalcycle.com/perl/cycle/results2.html?search_model=hr-034

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Great first post, tips always appreciated. Can you post a picture? I tried the link, but couldn't get the picture to show.

How long to put on, take off??

greg

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
WELCOME. THIS IS A GREAT SITE. I WOULD KILL FOR 40 DEGREE WEATHER, HERE IT IS 5 DEG A DEFININTE NO-NO FOR RIDIN.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Hmm..interesting. I find just a good pair of heavy insulated gloves works great. I too live in Northern CA and am usually on the road in the morning by 6:00am.....yes it has been a bit cold lately...but at least we can ride year round :)

T-Bone

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I agree a good set of thick gloves might serve the same purpose as the deflectors in keeping your hands warm, but I am constantly removing my gloves. I need quickly removable, lighter gloves because.....ahem, I need to be able to grab my Smith and Wesson model99 in a hurry if I need to. Normally I remove my gloves to grab my cite book and pen.

·
Premium Member
1,972 Posts
Only if you are grabbing a .45 are you serious about being in a hurry for gunplay. For the .40 and the 9mm, keep the gloves on since you are handicapped anyway. Oh, ...ahem, you're a Calif. chippie type, you may not have a choice on what is best to carry. LOL

·
Registered
14 Posts
I ride pretty much year round...snow occasionally, never ice. tried that once :),,,,anyway, found a pair of gloves on sale at a camping store. Manzella is the brand. Polar Fleece like and wind proof. all 5 fingers open up and make them real handy. Made the toy ride here and only wore them. No big a... gauntlets and could pull out all my fingers or one at a time(for pointing) or my thumb. they are like mittens when fully closed and pretty warm. And best of all they fit in your back pocket.

·
Registered
903 Posts
Upflying, where are you on the job? I'd kill to be on a motor unit but we don't have one (yet - hopefully).

·
Registered
4,089 Posts

Anyody seen these before?
I use them myself, they keep your HandyAndies warm even in the worst of our weather, at the minute its
getting down 34ºF - 41ºF......1ºC -5ºC !!! Worse to come!!! :eek:
For our UK readers you can get them HERE.

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
I bought a set of snowmobile heated handgrip warmers from dennis kirk for less than 20 bucks a few years back. I installed them between the plastic inside and the leather outer of my hand grips. They have a high/low switch mounted on the dash and get used year round.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Saw something similar to these on two electra glides this past weekend while leaving the bike show at The Capital Expo Center in Chantilly, VA They are a little cheaper here. I am thinking I may try them.

Dan

·
Registered
5,251 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
I recently purchased and tried the product (Polar Hands) mentioned in my previous post. I tried them on two separate rides. The first ride the air temp. was 20*F and I was wearing uninsulated leather riding gloves. My hands were nearly numb after a 14 minute ride. The second ride the air temp. was 39*F and I was wearing the same gloves. My hands became cold after about 20 minutes, but were still functional. At 25 minutes I arrived home, had I not been home I probably would have stopped to warm my hands. They might be ok if the air temp. was in the
mid 40s.
The Polar Hands may be wind resistant, but they are definitely not wind proof. The quality of the materials was below my expectations. The exterior nylon was thin, and the insulating material felt like thin foam not quilted as stated on the package. In my opinion they are certainly not worth $40 (maybe $15-$20).
I have since returned them for two reasons: 1) they did not eliminate the need for a thicker insulated glove and 2) the quality of the materials the are constructed from.

Dan

·
Registered
58 Posts
I prefer my ruger redhawk for power and accuracy with or without gloves the old .44 needs not be discharged much more than once to get someones attention......

·
Premium Member
1,382 Posts
I bought a pair of glove liners and they work well. One of my bro's swears by using a pair of surgical gloves as liners to keep the wind out. Although, he gets funny looks after removing his leather gloves.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Heated Gloves/Jacket Liner

Nobody interested in heated stuff? I bought Gerbing's heated jacket liner
$199 and gloves $139 last year. They work great! You hook directly to
your battery and they provide the harness with a quick disconnect. I've
been riding on a regular basis here in CT. Just have to wait for the snow
to be cleared off the roads. For my feet and legs I use heavy boots
w/thermal socks and johns under heavy jeans. For my face, my helmet
and a ski mask, only my eyes are exposed. My sunglasses take care of
eye protection. Gerbing's provides a fused harness which is easy to
install to the battery. I ran the quick connect lead to come out between
the rider and passenger seats. So it's only the snow that is keeping the
bike in the garage, otherwise, I ride in any temp. Only drawback so far,
I don't see any other bikes. Just got my 03 FLHR Road King and was
determined to get break-in mileage on before Spring! 520 so far.

·
Registered
903 Posts
I've got the Gerbing (Harley) heated gear too and swear by them, Mtucci. I was thinking Harley's new heated handgrips might do them well instead of the heated gloves because they are a little bulky.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Gerbing's

Harley Joel,

I agree, the gloves are bulky. Heated grips may be the answer. I imagine
they might take work to install. Wiring going thru bars and down frame to
battery, I'm not sure maybe there is another 12 volt take-off point earlier.

For now, I'll deal with the gloves. They are cumbersome when in traffic
and tight turns when you have to work the throttle and clutch a lot. Open
road, no problem. But, they keep you riding in the winter months.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts